Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rules for sling tag (Read 4518 times)
thebasketcase

doing the slinger's squat

Rules for sling tag
Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:43pm

I know this is technically supposed to go under the sport category but I figured since that is slowly turning into fossil and that this is more relaxed than just slinging at stationary targets, that it could go here. So on that note, what rules would be appropriate for the always proposed sling tag game?

If there is already a thread, can anyone link me to it? Because I have yet to find it.

the constant search for the perfect stone

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Re: Rules for sling tag
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 2:48pm

Correction, I apologize, it isn't a fossil.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:00pm

(Diarrhea-post for the sake of increasing forum activity)

Either tennis balls or racquet balls seem the safest bet, as far as easily-obtained and safe ammo goes. I'd recommend at least wearing a cup and something like racquet-ball goggles for protection. I'd probably just use my fencing mask for face protection, even though it's a bit overkill. Tongue

Perhaps short-ish slings would also help a bit? More like a guideline than a requirement, since some would probably like to plink away from afar, and some probably just can't hit worth a da*n with a short sling  Grin

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:07pm

tennis balls, if they didn't leave such big bruises at close range...
Shortish slings do reduce power slightly.
Before it wore out, I loved a shortish apache with stiff white cords for sling tag- it was accurate, light, and fast.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 9:32pm

Racket balls and are lighter than tennis balls, and you could carry more of them. You'd be limited to 15 yard ranges but it'd still be doable. Perhaps if you could weigh the racket balls a bit more with sand or water you could get out to 20 yards.

Field possibilities are endless. You could use a speedball format, open like dodgeball, urban/tactical, woodland, etc.

The real challenge is getting enough slingers that are skilled enough to hit moving man sized targets consistently.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:21am

I only know one other person that slings.-in person- so this will definitely be a work in progress

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 6:49am

Foam stress balls or nerf foam balls work well. Not many people are responsive to the idea of foam balls when I have mentioned it in the past. I wonder why?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 8:37am

Camo's post got me thinking and doing a little searching. If you don't want to use tennis balls and are willing to spend a little extra on foam there's these options.
http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Quick-Kids-Foam-Yellow/dp/B00166T9T0/ref=sr_1_12?s=s...

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Foam-Tennis-Balls-Ball/dp/B005AXWJB0/ref=sr_1_8?s=spo...

They are the same size as tennis balls but they are made of foam for kids "8 and under" playing tennis. So I assume they don't travel as fast or hit as hard. Unfortunately they are several times more expensive but still much cheaper than archery tag arrows.

I know a tennis ball would hurt, but I don't think we are slinging them any harder than the professional tennis players hit them, and last I checked, tennis players don't wear any protective gear. Some kind of mask still might be a good idea (and maybe a cup), but otherwise I'd be cool with taking any shot to the body.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:27pm

What about a throat shot? unlikely...
but possibly still lethal.
Just make a mask that covers the throat.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:08pm

Dan wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 8:37am:
I don't think we are slinging them any harder than the professional tennis players hit them, and last I checked, tennis players don't wear any protective gear.

Maybe it's because they don't aim at each other ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 5:09pm

My point exactly caldou.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 5:20am

The fastest tennis serve is 263 kms, I certainly wouldn't want to be hit with that! Nice find Dan, foam tennis balls look pretty functional. I should see if the local sports shop has them. It would be good to see how they fly! I'm guessing they will curve!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 6:19am

Smiley
Used tennis balls for slinging practice-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Used-Tennis-Balls-/161234474171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_...

Also a 60-pack of the foam ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamma-60-Pack-Foam-Balls-/390707128502?pt=LH_DefaultDoma...
only $40! (good lord, I can get 150 used tennis balls for that)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 9:24pm

After seeing Yurek sling tennis balls I think I would pass on that.  One face/throat/eye/groin shot and you would probably would too.  I like the nerf ball idea.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:53am

With a shorter sling,unlike Yurek's, and a shemag around the neck, one should be fine...

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)