Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Sling tag/sling dodgeball ammo (Read 22854 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Re: Sling tag/sling dodgeball ammo
Reply #15 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 1:31am

Bill Skinner wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:42pm:
No, Squirrel, it can't.  It's possible but not probable.  Otherwise, tennis players would be wearing body armor.

Speaking of which, how about while wearing a heavy coat?  Or improvised body armor such as a piece of old carpet with a hole for your head and tied around your waist?  It will leave your arms, legs and head unprotected, possibly a paintball helmet with mask?

When I sling tennis balls using balearic style I get my tennis balls going 120mph or above, I don't care how tough you think you are, if you get hit in the head your going to get knocked out, and if you do get hit in the trachea it will almost certainly crush it, the reason I think these things is because I had the option to sling a tennis ball at Someone who wanted to catch it ( yes he caught it) and when he caught it, it gave him a nasty welt on his hand, and he used to be a Catcher in baseball, and also the range we were slinging at him was about 45-50m so my tennis ball was slowing Down a bit by the time it reached him.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 1:32am

So basically don't use tennis balls.  Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #17 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 7:12pm

Blowgunman123 wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 1:31am:
Bill Skinner wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:42pm:
No, Squirrel, it can't.  It's possible but not probable.  Otherwise, tennis players would be wearing body armor.

Speaking of which, how about while wearing a heavy coat?  Or improvised body armor such as a piece of old carpet with a hole for your head and tied around your waist?  It will leave your arms, legs and head unprotected, possibly a paintball helmet with mask?

When I sling tennis balls using balearic style I get my tennis balls going 120mph or above, I don't care how tough you think you are, if you get hit in the head your going to get knocked out, and if you do get hit in the trachea it will almost certainly crush it, the reason I think these things is because I had the option to sling a tennis ball at Someone who wanted to catch it ( yes he caught it) and when he caught it, it gave him a nasty welt on his hand, and he used to be a Catcher in baseball, and also the range we were slinging at him was about 45-50m so my tennis ball was slowing Down a bit by the time it reached him.

Professional tennis players regularly serve at or above 120 mph.  The world record stands at 163 mph.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmy9oxEJig  Players and judges often get hit.  No one has died.  If you were to look up and open your neck up to a surprise shot, you could theoretically crush their windpipe.  But that's not what happens.  When you see the ball coming, you automatically tuck your chin and limbs inward to protect your vital organs.

Tennis balls will hurt.  But very unlikely to kill.  I would gladly play sling tag with someone using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBOsnF7YRk  Female player hit in the face.  It hurt.  She was not knocked out.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 11:35pm

i sayed it'll knock you out, and that was a little dramatic but either way who would to get hit by a tennis ball going that fast, anyways it might be better to use some carpet foam cut into any shape.  Smiley

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 5:39am

Blowgunman123 wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 11:35pm:
i sayed it'll knock you out, and that was a little dramatic but either way who would to get hit by a tennis ball going that fast, anyways it might be better to use some carpet foam cut into any shape.  Smiley

Depends on how far you can sling that foam.  The problem with slinging anything at humans is that high density objects that can be slung far and fast, hurt and kill when they hit.  Low density objects like foam and tennis balls hurt less but lose velocity very quickly.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 11:11am

you could put airsoft pellets in a small balloon for weight, then cover it with foam to soften the impact a bit. Plust airsoft pellets are dirt cheap- 5,000 for $10.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 11:34am

at sports clips they used to give out these little foam soccer balls and they are pretty good for slinging, but the problem is is that they curve like crazy, that's why i was thinking something that's bi-pointed would work better because it wouldn't curve.

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 9:20pm

something like those nerf american footballs? they seem to fit the description quite well

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:24pm

check out the bottom of this page http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1364212606/60
this type of ammo would be pretty inexpensive and they wouldn't hurt to much.  Smiley

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 12:59pm

sorry to bring up an old thread, but could paintball grenades work as a one-time use ammo?

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:50pm

Possibly mabye even paintballs might work, and after watching that video of the guy hiting the tennis ball and having it go 163 mph I actualy think that my tennis balls are going faster than that...

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #26 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:56pm

I have a new style that gets the tennis balls going very very fast.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #27 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:05pm

Blowgunman123 wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:50pm:
Possibly mabye even paintballs might work, and after watching that video of the guy hiting the tennis ball and having it go 163 mph I actualy think that my tennis balls are going faster than that...

I can tell you from experience that paintballs don't work very well with slings.  They are quite light and I was not able to accelerate them to a decent speed.

A paintball marker (gun) fires paintballs at 300 feet per second (204 mph).  My throws were noticeably slower to the naked eye and I was unable to throw accurately enough to go through the chronograph.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #28 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 10:58pm

Yeah the problem is that again the paintballs are to light and they just don't go anywhere.

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 2:20pm

but how about those large paintball grenades? hard to judge the size in the photo, but about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide at the widest point.

image_150.jpg (74 KB | 177 )
image_150.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, LightSlinger)