NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Sling stiffness
Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:55pm

JudoP wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:32pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 8:23am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:14am:
The shape of the ammo is irrelevant to the stiffness of the cord.

This is a untrue, unless you are treating and seeing the sling like a simple single cord pendelum.

But this is not what it is. The sling we talk about is made of two cords, with the projectile seated in the middle.
Varying shapes and sizes of projectile react very differently to varying cord stiffnesses. Even projectiles of the same weight but different shape. If you haven't figured, you need to get out and sling more rocks !

I agree with the shape thing. Imagine rotating a long barbell shaped rock with a narrow middle bar and all the mass concentrated at the end points (rare to find in nature I know  Wink) compared to a simple sphere. The moment of intertia will be so much higher with the hypothetical barbell shaped rock that it would be extremely unresponsive to rotation and inevitably cause cord crossover and twisting if you tried spinning the sling around.

Unless you are considering wind resistance, for a given mass and moment of inertia, you can represent the object as a sphere, whether solid or hollow. I agree that inertia matters, but the specific shape that results in that moment does not matter so much.

And of course I am not  suggesting that ammo shape doesn’t matter for slinging generally, just that it’s not super important in relation to cord stiffness. The ammo shape is going to have much more impact on how it rolls out of the pouch than how the cords twist.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 4:56pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:58am:
Am I picking fights here, anyone?

You naughty, naughty man....  Kiss Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:35pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:55pm:
And of course I am not  suggesting that ammo shape doesn’t matter for slinging generally, just that it’s not super important in relation to cord stiffness. The ammo shape is going to have much more impact on how it rolls out of the pouch than how the cords twist.

If you've ever tried slinging a really long rock, like think rocket ship aspect ratio (ok, maybe not that much, 4:1 maybe?), this is not the case. The moment of inertia matters a lot, and it makes it very touchy on how much the cords twist. I've had so many stones get caught in the cords when trying to sling long stones (thinking they will rifle better) The shape certainly matters for rolling out of the pouch, as you said, but extreme aspect ratios can affect the moment of inertia enough that the tautness of the cords can't spin it enough in time to not tangle upon release.

Why would one sling a rocket ship, you ask?  Why not I say.  One day, I'll send a stone into orbit. 11300 m/s  is the escape velocity of the earth, so at 50 m/s...I'm nearly there.  Rocket ship shapes are clearly required for orbit.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:11pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:35pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:55pm:

If you've ever tried slinging a really long rock, like think rocket ship aspect ratio (ok, maybe not that much, 4:1 maybe?), this is not the case. The moment of inertia matters a lot, and it makes it very touchy on how much the cords twist. I've had so many stones get caught in the cords when trying to sling long stones (thinking they will rifle better) The shape certainly matters for rolling out of the pouch, as you said, but extreme aspect ratios can affect the moment of inertia enough that the tautness of the cords can't spin it enough in time to not tangle upon release.

Why would one sling a rocket ship, you ask?  Why not I say.  One day, I'll send a stone into orbit. 11300 m/s  is the escape velocity of the earth, so at 50 m/s...I'm nearly there.  Rocket ship shapes are clearly required for orbit.

You and I are saying essentially the same thing IG. The  shape of the long projectile has more of an effect when it comes to the pouch and cord interaction upon release. That is a different discussion from the one about twisting cords at windup, but two effects are being combined and it generates more confusion than knowledge.  Again I insist that if you ignore air drag during windup, the shape doesn’t matter... just the moment of inertia.  I could produce a sphere with the same moment of inertia that would twist the same way in a sling. Obviously it would release differently, but that’s not what is in question here.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 9:53pm

I'm saying they are coupled, as both contribute to the issue. You are trying to separate the two effects, I'm saying you can't(easily).  Since we don't have graded density stones or ammo generally to make the kind of ammo your referring to, we are stuck with both twisting and pouch/cord interference being a problem.

That being said, if we are going to go physics mode. I agree. For two shapes that have the exact same moment of inertia, pouch interference will dominate, for same shape different moments of inertia, cord twisting is going to be more of the issue.

But as I said, shy of density graded ammo, we are stuck with both at the same time.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:13pm

I love you J
So great seeing all your evolution over the past year.
I remember discussing pouch positioning with you when you were very set on capture release Y slings. Now your almost a traditionalist with natural fibre braided slings.

What is important to remember is how all this data is almost a thought experiment more than a practical guide.

Hard data analysis of slingers/slinging mechanics and form is pretty much all backyard science. There are so many variables we are not able to isolate that it’s almost impossible to tell what is doing what. Our own experience becomes what we believe in and next thing you know your set in your ways.

I’m guilty, how many times have I said ”Dyneema”.
Jaegoor is another, aim with your belly
CA, split pouches suck.
We all find what works for us.

Just keep it fun. Don’t over complicate it.

The best thing about slinging is you can’t buy your way to accuracy or power , you can’t cheat it with science.

Practice will trump everything. Keep it fun!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:59pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 9:53pm:
I'm saying they are coupled, as both contribute to the issue. You are trying to separate the two effects, I'm saying you can't(easily).  Since we don't have graded density stones or ammo generally to make the kind of ammo your referring to, we are stuck with both twisting and pouch/cord interference being a problem.

That being said, if we are going to go physics mode. I agree. For two shapes that have the exact same moment of inertia, pouch interference will dominate, for same shape different moments of inertia, cord twisting is going to be more of the issue.

But as I said, shy of density graded ammo, we are stuck with both at the same time.

Again, I agree IG. As long as you are throwing stones, everything is coupled and all you can do is make guesses or speak out of ignorance with more or less confidence in your theories. Why are so many slingers resigned to that fate? Why be satisfied with backyard pseudoscience?  Off the top of my head, I can think of two different ways to approach this more scientifically in your own backyard:

1. Collect statistically significant accuracy data using two nearly identical slings where one has stiffer cords. If you use the same ammunition in both slings, then the shape of the ammo doesn’t matter and you are isolating the effect of the cord stiffness... albeit you are still combining the stiffness effects during both windup and release.

2. Repeat #1 using spheres  (or biconicals) that are all the same size but different densities. For example, you could use a racquetball and then inject another racquetball with epoxy and roll it around until it cures... now you have two different moments of inertia with the same exterior shape and friction properties.

The first experiment eliminates the variable of ammo shape. The second eliminates any cord stiffness effect during the release unless every single throw gets tangled in the cords. Both of these could be done in a backyard without spending a lot of money. Why do we not try to isolate variables and instead settle for just saying “it’s complicated”.  That’s not good enough for me, and it leads to all sorts of kooky theories.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:17pm

There’s another thing that bothers me about this whole discussion...
let’s just assume J’s premise is correct: stiff slings give greater control of the roll angle.  Assuming that, and assuming that you know what roll angle you want... how much does that even affect accuracy?  By what mechanism does it affect accuracy?  Is it more than the Magnus effect?  What exactly is the theory that explains why small differences in cord twist are so important? Or is this just about avoiding tangled  cords which have quite an obvious effect?

You could obsess over the stiffness of your cords, only to discover that the pouch release has a much greater effect, for example. You could perfect both of these things and still discover that the problem was actually the slinger’s form (or inconsistent ammo, etc)  all along.

What exactly are we trying to improve or avoid by controlling cord stiffness? I genuinely want to know. If someone can explain it, I’ll be one of the first to obsess right alongside J, because I get excited about genuine advances in slinging knowledge.

Just saying “eh... it’s complicated” and then insisting that cord stiffness is important is the opposite of advancing knowledge. It’s establishment of a dogma.  We don’t need any more dogma in the slinging world. There’s too much already.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #38 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:54pm

I just thought of a third experiment:

One sling. One consistent ammo. Now change the windup by helicoptering faster or slower. The inertia will be the same, but the phase between the roll angle and the windup rotation will change. You might need a high speed camera to quantify that one, but now I’ve offered 3 different ways to study how cord stiffness might affect a throw.

This third experiment completely eliminates release effects because you are making observations before the release. It’s a little more difficult to measure, but it should be an excellent way to isolate variables.

Yes it’s complicated. Let’s break it down into simpler parts and try to understand it anyway.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 1:21am

Testing would be great. You mentioned a slinging machine for a long time, I think this in the only way to get truly accurate data, as you can't get rid of human bias by testing slingers throws, unless you collect data on thousands and thousands of throws, with targeted differences in the data sets, which would be quite the difficult task.

Quick clarification, it is torsion resistance rather than cord stiffness that affects the cord tangling problem the most from my experience.  But cord stiffness probably has some effect on the speed that the release cord gets out of the way of the projectile.

My interpretation of what J is saying (again taken from my own experience) is about is the "forgiveness" of the type of sling rather than its absolute benefit. Something with stiffer cords is more "forgiving." In archery, it is often said that longbows are more "forgiving" than something like a short recurve.  Meaning you can make mistakes with a longbow but it will amplify your miss less than a similar mistake with a short recurve.  As far as I know, that is a subjective determination (though arrow speed does have something to do with it, as well as the weight/inertia of the bow itself), maybe Morphy can chime in here about that subject.   The forgiveness of a torsion resistant sling is also a subjective determination at this point, but I know that I have fewer problems with a sling that is torsion resistant.

I too would like to get the slinging community to start to collect data on these questions. I think it could drastically improve our understanding and probably help us get better at the skill of slinging. That was the purpose of my overhead camera analysis a few months ago, to try and gain some further understanding and encourage others to do the same. One problem is we all have different ideas about what we want to test because we each think we know how the sling works. So really, we need a standard way to test that we can all agree on, the follow that method and share the results. Kind of a pre-agreement on experimental methods to make the peer-review of the results easier.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #40 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 4:51am

All other things being equal a longbow is easier to be accurate with than a shortbow. This is one of those questions that needs to be answered. If theres a dampening effect from human error based on sling construction we need to know what it is post haste. Lol. For all we know we are all shooting tiny short recurve slings.

The problem as you said IG is we dont have hard data to back it up and theories without data are worse than useless.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 5:07am

Consistent pouch angle control with the wrist, achieved through cords balanced for said projectiles,  is more important for true precision, than a very thin release cord that provides low resistance.

Very light sling cords will sling. A very light sling cord will sling a heavy stone even.
But there is more to precision slinging than just the efficiency. The sling is a friction device. Or one is better off using an Y-sling, if one does not care about internal ballistics.

Even extremely heavy stones can be deflected or even wrap into a very light release cord, causing erratic release. Heavy stones do not solve the problem. They are simple even more out of balance in a light sling.

10:02.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tvRSuyOXk

Without consistent pouch angle control, you can never have consistent yaw angles and angle of attack, for accurate long range shots. Good ammo does not only solve the problem, the sling must be right as well, and so must be the slinger. This is why I say the sling is an instrument. It's not an esoteric theory. An instrument must be in tune to be played right. The slinger, the sling, and the projectile must fit each other, they must be in harmony for true consistent precision. All three together I call the song of the sling. And if any of these variables are wrong the song is false.
It has nothing to do with listening to a song while slinging and getting some sort of rhytm going.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #42 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:04am

J, not to change the subject too much but what are your thoughts on proper stance for a sling throw? Do you feel like theres a different possible theory on what your stance should be and movement?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:10am

If you look at a Balaeric sling videos, you see everyone has developed their own way and quirks.
This is something you see alot with slinging. But I think Jaegoor has a good model to follow regarding proper stance

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:28am

For example, look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWJ9kR_eMU
Every slinger has his own quirks.

This is for a different topic, but I don't think the Balaeric slingers were/are praised for their technical superior knowledge of the sling, rather, they get by with hard and lots of practice. I think many slingers there don't even think the sling through as some here do. I know I didn't for many years. I just threw by pure instinct. I suspect many slingers of the past did this. I see Tibetan slingers also do this. They don't seem to care about cord seperation, point first flight or any of that. In many Balaeric slinger videos I see them use a very tight grip for example.  A tight grip offers less control over the pouch angle, and little control over the yaw angle. Yet we know that 0 degree angle of attack gives the greatest distance. I read somewhere that Luis couldn't manage to properly orientate a golfcross ball point first. And we know that balaeric slingers weren't praised for their distance. Yet Luis is praised as one of the best slingers in the world.  So you could get by without all these things, granted you practice a lot. I suspect it was the Achaean/Greek/Etruscan slingers who did think more about how the sling actually works. They staretd using lead glandes and their slings outranged others. And I see many of them utilize wider grips. I suspect they knew how to get proper pouch angle control and proper yaw angle for reduced air resistance.  But take none of this too seriously. They're just fleeting thoughts of mine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick)