Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling stiffness (Read 5964 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Sling stiffness
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 8:13pm

Silicone thinned with naptha and applied to paracord will yield a much stiffer cord. So far my shooting with a stiff release cord is significantly worse than an identical sling with standard paracord. 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 10:02pm

I don’t want it stiff but resistance to twist . Stiff needs heavier ammo to overcome . I noticed this in all my trash slings

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 6:23am

@nooc lighweight spherical projectiles such as tennisballs benefit little from a stiffer sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:14am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 6:23am:
@nooc lighweight spherical projectiles such as tennisballs benefit little from a stiffer sling.

You are speaking  argumentatively in non-specific relative terms here. That’s the perfect setup for a pointless argument where neither side can even agree on what is being argued about. If you want to understand the effect of cord stiffness, design some experiments and try some ideas out.

The shape of the ammo is irrelevant to the stiffness of the cord.

The weight of the ammo is only one factor. Throwing lighter ammo faster will result in the same tension on your cords as heavy ammo... even if it is in the shape of a cube or a miniature Venus de Milo glande.

I have offered you a method to prove your assertions. Make two slings, then treat one to make the cords stiffer and test both with the same ammo, then tell us what effect the cord stiffness has.  That’s a much more efficient way for everyone to learn.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:26am

You are also speaking in relative terms. ''A stiff release cord is worse for me''. What is stiff, it's all relative.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 8:23am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:14am:

This is a untrue, unless you are treating and seeing the sling like a simple single cord pendelum.

But this is not what it is. The sling we talk about is made of two cords, with the projectile seated in the middle.
Varying shapes and sizes of projectile react very differently to varying cord stiffnesses. Even projectiles of the same weight but different shape. If you haven't figured, you need to get out and sling more rocks !

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 9:31am

You could probably do up a simple mathematical model of a projectile rotating in a sling pouch. I imagine it would work out something like a modified pendulum.

Key in a pendulum is the weight does not effect the period, however in this case maybe it is different, you also have the moment of intertia of the projectile too. I'll have a crack when I have some time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:18am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:26am:
You are also speaking in relative terms. ''A stiff release cord is worse for me''. What is stiff, it's all relative. 

Counter-accusations? Really Jauke?  Are you just trying to pick fights?  What is the purpose of this conversation?

What I was implying is “stiffer relative to untreated paracord”. Is that not a reasonable reference standard?  Paracord is manufactured fairly consistently no matter who makes it, and it’s available around the world.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:38am

A cord stiffness of 3.8 stiffies/g/cm is acceptable for tennis balls. Or for the imperial users- cherrios per .008 bananas squared.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:40am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 8:23am:

If you haven't figured, you need to get out and sling more rocks !

You are implying that I have no right to speak because I throw more tennis balls than rocks. I am not sure why you are picking fights today Jauke, but here’s the thing... I don’t have to engage with you, because in a week or two, you will have completely forgotten about cord stiffness and will be obsessed with some other esoteric element of slinging that you are just as convinced is the “one trick” to slinging.   It’s pretty entertaining, but I find it difficult to take your theories seriously sometimes.  Go do some experiments, present some evidence, and then tell us all about why you think X is so critical to slinging.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:58am

Am I picking fights here, anyone?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:53am

Morphy wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 10:38am:
A cord stiffness of 3.8 stiffies/g/cm is acceptable for tennis balls. Or for the imperial users- cherrios per .008 bananas squared.

I prefer to measure my sling stiffness in radians per gram per smoot when slinging bananas.  If I am slinging larger ammo like baby dolls, then I switch to radians per pram instead.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:46pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:53am:

I prefer to measure my sling stiffness in radians per gram per smoot when slinging bananas.  If I am slinging larger ammo like baby dolls, then I switch to radians per pram instead.

Gotcha. So a traditionalist then.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:11pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:46pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:53am:

Gotcha. So a traditionalist then.

I consider myself more of a postmodern industrialist, but only when slinging bananas.  My self identity changes with my ammunition.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:32pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 8:23am:

This is a untrue, unless you are treating and seeing the sling like a simple single cord pendelum.

But this is not what it is. The sling we talk about is made of two cords, with the projectile seated in the middle.
Varying shapes and sizes of projectile react very differently to varying cord stiffnesses. Even projectiles of the same weight but different shape. If you haven't figured, you need to get out and sling more rocks !

I agree with the shape thing. Imagine rotating a long barbell shaped rock with a narrow middle bar and all the mass concentrated at the end points (rare to find in nature I know  Wink) compared to a simple sphere. The moment of intertia will be so much higher with the hypothetical barbell shaped rock that it would be extremely unresponsive to rotation and inevitably cause cord crossover and twisting if you tried spinning the sling around.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)