squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
music
Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:47pm

Well, the title says it all.
What do you like/dislike/see as pointless/etc.
NO SCREAMING/ETC... I think you know what I mean.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: music
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 9:36am

I've always been slightly out of synch musically.    When I was a young lad in the 60s, and and that nascent "rock-n-roll" was hot stuff, I developed a liking for classsical.
All through my army years, 64-67, when the Beatles and the Stones and the Animals ands such were hot stuff.... I was listening to Stravinsky and Mussorgsky and Rimsky-Korsakov.

Didn't get into any "pop" music at all  till I got out of the army and started police work.
Then, I got involved with "roots" stuff, folk and bluegrass and blues and all that, which I still like (and play) to this day.

What don't I like?
Hehe-quite a lot, actually.   Rap/Hip-Hop generally.   "Metal".  Most anything under the general area of "Electronica"... The Dance, trance, "club"... Whatever.   Awful, horrible stuff.

Also, the vast majority of contemporary avant-garde Jazz and classical music. 
Think Cage or the Chicago Art Ensemble.

Also.... Most all of what might be called dance music, even rootsy string band stuff.   It's so repetitive.  I am not a dancer.  Might be fine if you are actually dancing, but if not... Dead boring.   Jigs and reels....
Give me improvisation and clever lyrics and hot pickin'.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:39pm

I like:

I do not like:

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:53pm

I like a lot (especially punk) but newgrass, ska, Grindcore, emo, and screamo aren't for me. Newgrass is just weird. Lately I've been on a low fi kick.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 5:13pm

Since I started this- I should probably post....
I dislike screamo, emo, etc and similar. also dubstep, and just about anything that falls under the heading of electronic/electronically enhanced(obviously heavily tone edited or CG). I cannot tolerate certian modern types of music... Bieber, cyrus, etc and such.

as to what I listen to-
mainly 3 doors down, and other alternative rock groups, as well as Rolf Harris thanks to Dad.
And now, Pink Floyd. I more like certian songs rather than genres.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:46pm

I enjoy hip hop to some extent.

But my favorite is "epic" classical songs. I don't really like the really mellow ones. I guess celtic style.

Here's my favorite song of all time!

http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=2pCv7k_Hzvg

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

blackfur2
Descens

May your rocks always
roll................

Scotland
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 8:42am

As I am sound engineer I  have to like all things music even if am not keen on a song i try find sumthing I like about it. I am also a drummer so I like songs with a good grove/beat to it

Ma like all time fav band is a band called incubus

But my like album of the year is the Maccabees given to the wild

Check out the way the singer uses the 2 microphones don't no why I have not seen this before or thought of it myself

Anyway hope u like the songs let me know if you do

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:56pm

I like: rock(from soft classic to hard and heavy), rap, grunge, country( seems to have fallen off the last few years:(. As well as orchestral stuff and bluegrass... The list goes on!
I don't like: emo, pop, electronic dance music, screamo, or any of that "growling stuff that isn't words.
Some bands to share I like are "Devil makes three", sandbox, and my personal friend's group the Matt mason fiasco!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 2:12pm

Tomas wrote on Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:56pm:
I don't like... screamo, or any of that "growling stuff that isn't words.

I like the fact that you don't call everything with growling "screamo." Most people misuse the term.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 4:04pm

Country, Classic Rock, and most modern Rock (last 20 years), are the primary styles of music I listen to.

I also like to listen to Worship (Matt Redman, Hillsong) and the Epic type soundtracks (Hans Zimmer, TSFH).

With all of these I prefer a faster beat, especially with country music.

There's a lot of songs I don't enjoy listening to in every genre.

I don't really like to listen to pop but I can tolerate it if its playing at a party or some social gathering.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 12:30pm

There is great music in every genre. I can find something worth listening to in almost any style. Some of my favorites are  Classic Rock, Classical, Jazz, Bluegrass, and Blues. I always found Disco rather worthless.  To me it's crass, commercial, and lame.  People say it's good to dance to but I don't see why one would have to dance to crap.  Just my opinion. 

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:31am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
...but I don't see why one would have to dance to crap.  Just my opinion. 

Bwahahahaha

Hah...well said.

I don't like hip-hop or rap. Period. Never liked most country.  Most Pop either.  Actually these days I don't like a lot more than a do like.  Lots of classical.  Usually the classics.  Classic Rock and the occasional alternative rock band. Also I like a lot of movie soundtracks.  One of my personal favorites is "As good as it gets".  Beautiful stuff.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 7:45am

pretty eclectic taste.

For me most classical music should be left in lifts as I always take the stairs whistle

If you can't sing along to it - what's the point ?

Some idiot had some drum and bass in the gym yesterday - turned it down to the point it was barely audible - you just don't need that crap lol
And as I was giving off that pissed-off vibe, nobody turned it back up  Grin Grin

I do like the vast majority of non-classical music. And like ratman I believe there's good songs in pretty mjuch every genre.
For preference I prefer rock and metal from the last 40 years (although I hate led zeppelin) I also like most country and western, a bunch of singer songwriters and just a whole selection of other stuff.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 6:04am

I think most people can find one or two songs in any genre that they can connect with and vibe to. Having said that, I cannot stand Dubstep at all - why is it even listed as a musical genre to start with??

I love most types of 'world music' (nyabinghi anybody? or Tahitian drum lines?) and just about anything folksy. Celtic music is like crack to me, especially if its puirt à beul Smiley

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:10am

_kava_ wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 6:04am:
Having said that, I cannot stand Dubstep at all - why is it even listed as a musical genre to start with??

I love most types of 'world music' (nyabinghi anybody? or Tahitian drum lines?) and just about anything folksy. Celtic music is like crack to me, especially if its puirt à beul Smiley

If you look around you can find some good, world-music inspired dubstep. You read that right. Chillstep has a lot in common with some kinds of native Australian music, just slowed down. That said, most of it is intolerable. Especially the American stuff like Skrillex.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)