Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flax: Planting, processing and working with it (Read 6099 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Flax: Planting, processing and working with it
Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 3:58pm

Well then, it's time to write a new entry as I have made additional experiences.

I haven't had time to make much different things with the fibers (The sling with the retted flax is still in construction since 4 months...) but I have thoroughly used the sling I made out of the not retted flax, which I described in the first post. First of all, I don't think that the pain to process the not retted flax is worth the result. I had the hope that the fibers are more durable than the not retted ones and to a certain extent also water proof due to a higher natural oil content. Regarding the durability I'm quite satisfied. Until now I didn't have to replace the end of the release cord. But I believe that similar results can be also obtained with the retted fibers I have.

Regarding the water proofness the experiment was a complete failure. And I was stupid enough to test it with the whole sling and not with a tiny sample braid. I took the sling out to a rainy slinging session and the fibers were soaked up more or less instantly with water. The fibers
swelled and after drying, as expected, the braid became quite loose. Too lose for my likings, but the sling can still be used.

In addition this way I detected a construction error: At one point I added too many fibers to one single strand. This beginning now slipped through the braid because the braid became loose due to the soaking. Now I pushed this end back into the braid and will most probably stiffen the area by melting some wax into it, maybe even an additional wrapping or some seewing.

However I discovered another thing: The whole fibers changed their colour during the soaking. The fibers at the release end are now nearly white and also the rest of the sling brightened quite a bit from a blond colour to a very fair blond / sallow ("weissblond" or "fahl" I would say in german). The more it got soaked the fairer it got. Well, at least I know now how to make white strings beside bleaching it in the sun.

Flax projects in the pipeline:
- Finish the sling made out of retted flax.
- Make a sling out of the short fiber waste. I already have about 1 meter of rough rope turned out of it.
- Get experience with spinning.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:37am

well, you are probably removing the stuff from the retting that colors the fibers.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:25pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:37am:
well, you are probably removing the stuff from the retting that colors the fibers.

I soaked the sling made out of the not retted flax Wink. But yes, I guess by soaking it I flushed some of the colourant out.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #18 - May 4th, 2014 at 10:33am

I just finished winnowing my last flax seeds. From ca. 180 gr. sown flax seeds I harvested a bit over 500 gr. of flax seeds.

According to some web sources the yield per hectare of fiber flax shall be around 0.9 t to 1.8 t seeds.
Therefore for my approximately 10 m^2 I should have harvested around 0.9 to 1.8 kg seeds. Accordingly to this numbers I have performed quite bad  Wink. I'm still satisfied with the yield being unskilled and having improvised quite a bit during the processing.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - May 5th, 2014 at 6:25am

Basically, you're doing experimental archeology. We really need more people doing this.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #20 - May 5th, 2014 at 3:05pm

slingbadger wrote on May 5th, 2014 at 6:25am:
Basically, you're doing experimental archeology. We really need more people doing this.

Mhh... I actually haven't thought about that... Thank you for pointing this out! The next time I think I will write a lab journal, as currently the documentation of my work is, beside this thread and two youtube videos, not existing.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 5:16pm

The next piece: This time it's a braided sling from retted flax, as usually with flax from my own production. I have used around 4 of these bundles you see in the background. The extraction of the retted fibers was a lot easier than for the not retted ones.
Usually I cut all the fuzzy fiber remains away. This time I left it longer than I use to. It gives it a bit a prehistoric look.
The braid itself is very smooth and less stiff than a sling braided from raffia fibers but stiffer than when braided with normal strings. The sling has a darker colour than the not retted fibers.

The next tasks in my flax project will either be learning to spin the flax to make strings and threads, using up the short fiber waste or trying to bleach the fibers to get pure white fibers.

Flax_braided_retted.JPG (460 KB | 123 )
Flax_braided_retted.JPG

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 3:07am

Good job Teg! I'm curious how it holds to repeated use. AKA abrasion resistance,and whip cracking the release.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 3:56pm

Until now I used it for about 2 hours with tennis balls and a few stones. The whip cracking at the release took away much less fibers than with raffia (bast fibres) or when you unravel normal hemp or flax package string. It's the same as with the not-retted flax fibers. About the abrasion resistance in the pouch I can not yet give you information as I did not test it enough with stones, which have a much higher abrasion than water filled tennis balls. I will keep you up to date when the sling will show first signs of wear and tear.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #24 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 8:26pm

It looks like this is the real sling production, to completely grow the future sling from seeds in the ground!

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)