Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
Lobbing vs. Throwing (Read 80330 times)
SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Lobbing vs. Throwing
Reply #345 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 7:01pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 5:26pm:
People feel like they are throwing with more “power” because they put more effort in, but if the motion is inefficient, the projectile energy is not greater than a skilled throw that appears to require less effort.

So for me this is what I term efficiency and a highly efficient throw is one of the big keys to accuracy in my opinion. At least with the figure-8. As is slow, higher torque motion vs faster, lower torque.

Absolutely. Tennis balls don't fly that far so I can get the same range by putting my body into the shot with power as I can by restricting myself to only using my arm.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #346 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 7:50pm

So... I’ve been practicing two styles a lot in the last couple months with tennis balls... my best is Byzantine. It’s a whole-body motion similar to a baseball pitch, and it flies flat and hits hard. Using a 2’x3’ target with a 12” bullseye  (slightly smaller than Balearic)  at ~10m, I am hitting 8/10 times and hit a bullseye about 1/10 shots

The second style is Balearic sidearm without a power stroke... meaning the rotation speed of the windup is the same as the throw. After the Byzantine it feels super weird to throw so casually.  It’s a lob for sure. My form needs a lot of work, but I am hitting 6/10 and probably 1/20 are bullseyes. With practice I think my stats will improve to as good or better than Byzantine.

Same sling. Same ammo. Same target. Same distance. I’m getting reasonably accurate with both a lob and a “whanger” style even if I alternate between them.

For short range accuracy...Which is better?  Which ever one you practice the most. That’s my theory.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #347 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 8:11pm

I agree. But I still like whangin'. Plus it's fun to say.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #348 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 8:21pm

IronGoober wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 8:11pm:
I agree. But I still like whangin'. Plus it's fun to say.

Exactly!  That’s why I am trying to get good at both Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #349 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:03pm

SerKraus wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 7:01pm:
People feel like they are throwing with more “power” because they put more effort in, but if the motion is inefficient, the projectile energy is not greater than a skilled throw that appears to require less effort.

So for me this is what I term efficiency and a highly efficient throw is one of the big keys to accuracy in my opinion. At least with the figure-8. As is slow, higher torque motion vs faster, lower torque.

Absolutely. Tennis balls don't fly that far so I can get the same range by putting my body into the shot with power as I can by restricting myself to only using my arm.

You bet and "I" bet it took you a fraction of the time to figure that out as it did me. I think I was 20 years into this game before beginning to understand what was going on.  Makes a huge difference though in your ability to fine tune shot placement. Correct ammo weight in proportion to your sling and throw does as well. The difference for me anyways in accuracy between something like tennis balls or golf balls vs my preferred 4.5 oz ammo is night and day.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #350 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:10pm

This lobbing vs throwing question sort of reminds me of another one sometimes asked here:  Which is more important, power or accuracy?  The answer is the same to both questions.  You need both.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #351 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 3:07pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:03pm:

You bet and "I" bet it took you a fraction of the time to figure that out as it did me. I think I was 20 years into this game before beginning to understand what was going on.  Makes a huge difference though in your ability to fine tune shot placement. Correct ammo weight in proportion to your sling and throw does as well. The difference for me anyways in accuracy between something like tennis balls or golf balls vs my preferred 4.5 oz ammo is night and day.

Tennis balls have limits for long-distance shots, but the fact that they catch so much wind acually makes them good for trick shots where you put some english on the ball... which I, um, totally do on purpose every time, because... yeah...  that ball was definitely heading straight for the bullseye until it curved off at the last second.  That's exactly what I wanted it do to.  yeah. Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #352 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 4:43pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 3:07pm:
Morphy wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:03pm:

Tennis balls have limits for long-distance shots, but the fact that they catch so much wind acually makes them good for trick shots where you put some english on the ball... which I, um, totally do on purpose every time, because... yeah...  that ball was definitely heading straight for the bullseye until it curved off at the last second.  That's exactly what I wanted it do to.  yeah. Smiley

Whiffle balls do too. At one time I was making spherical glandes that would fly out  and then steeply arc upwards with correct or rather incorrect palm position.

As far as you missing I am not understanding what's going on. You are naming the target after the throw right? I don't think I've ever missed a target with a sling...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #353 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 11:57pm

Yeah. Of course. Every target is always named Candace. I’m not sure what’s going wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTCwUJZZWI0&t=1m30s

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)