Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
Lobbing vs. Throwing (Read 80344 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Lobbing vs. Throwing
Reply #330 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 12:00pm

On the subject of power, there are a lot of different interpretations of what it means.

I think “power” really means “kinetic energy” most of the time. Power in does not mean more kinetic energy out, which is a point you have made many times Jaegoor. I agree 100%

People feel like they are throwing with more “power” because they put more effort in, but if the motion is inefficient, the projectile energy is not greater than a skilled throw that appears to require less effort.

“Power” may also mean the effect of the projectile on the target. The effect of a lightweight bullet moving fast is different from the effect of a heavy slower projectile with the same kinetic energy. The effect also depends on the target, the shape of the bullet, the angle of the collision... und so weiter.
This has all been discussed before. My only point is that we should clarify what we are arguing over before we start to debate.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #331 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:01pm

Lobbing or whanging is determind by the size of my projectile, the size of my projectile against determines what type of sling I use.

For 250g rocks I naturally use a more controlled and moderate lob and a beefy sling for stabilityb

But if I use 75g biconicals (pic below), than my sling of choice is lighter and more aerodynamic, and whanging just makes sense. These things fly like a laser when you put your power in them. Whatever you're throwing at will have no time to dodge, lest see the projectile in flight.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #332 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:54pm

Oh good. A non-controversial thread.

Nice ammo by the way J. I bought several clay rollers from CA. I plan on getting them out soon and putting them through their paces. Is that how you made that one?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #333 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 7:44pm

It’s not controversial as long as you understand that I’m always right Morphy Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #334 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:00pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 7:44pm:
It’s not controversial as long as you understand that I’m always right Morphy Grin

Out of the many thousands of posts I've made, with let's face it, at least half being in sarcasm or apathy, I can't be bothered to reread this whole thread and see why the title brings such a visceral reaction. But if you tell me you are part of said reaction I will take your word on it my good man and admit you are right on whatever dumpster fire this thread is.  Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #335 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:37pm

I would have to go back and look to see if I ever even took a side.  I don't think I did.  [update: I read back 3 pages and no... I never took a side]. 

I think I agree with Jaegoor that this is a rather silly and pointless argument on both sides overall.  The very idea of "sides" is even silly, since how hard you throw is a continuum.  It appears to be a bunch of people arguing back and forth without actually being clear on what anybody is really arguing about.

What visceral reaction are you referring to? A specific one? or the general tone of the thread?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #336 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:35am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:37pm:
I would have to go back and look to see if I ever even took a side.  I don't think I did.  [update: I read back 3 pages and no... I never took a side]. 

I think I agree with Jaegoor that this is a rather silly and pointless argument on both sides overall.  The very idea of "sides" is even silly, since how hard you throw is a continuum.  It appears to be a bunch of people arguing back and forth without actually being clear on what anybody is really arguing about.

What visceral reaction are you referring to? A specific one? or the general tone of the thread?

I honestly can't remember lol. Obviously not a strong enough reaction to bother rereading it. Certain subjects definitely ring a bell though so it's either this thread or one like it.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #337 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 4:22pm

It really depends what my end goal is.

It's usually only one of three goals, smashing a big rock into something with a satisfying noise and chips flying all over the place and wanton destruction in mind. In which case I throw as hard as I can.

Or hitting something specific and smaller than a car, in which case I throw the same, but with both eyes open.

Lastly on rare occasions when I'm seriously trying to teach the kids or in the front yard where it matter where the projectile ends up I throw a bit softer.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #338 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:49am

Because of COVID I haven't been able to sling for a while. Since I started this thread a while ago, I did find a way of shooting flat  by putting in a lot of power, but it stresses my elbow a lot, esp. if this ammo is heavy. I prefer to lob, but the problem is how to avoid slack in the release, which is bad form and wastes energy. 
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2021 at 1:34am by Thearos »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #339 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:09am

Thearos wrote on Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:49am:
Because of COVID I haven't been able to sling for a while. Since I started this thread a while ago, I did find a way of shooting flat  by putting in a lot of power, but it stresses my elbow a lot, esp. if the ammo with heavy. I prefer to lob, but the problem is how to avoid slack in the release, which is bad form and wastes energy. 

If you throw using the kung-fu meteor hammer style, you can use light ammo and get a flat shot at high velocities without straining the joints, because the velocity comes from a rapidly decreasing radius of rotation during the throw... a little like a compound sling.

...also, you will look ridiculous and won't have any accuracy whistle

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #340 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 4:21pm

Since I moved this summer and have a bigger back yard, I adopted a routine that lets me develop both.  I have a hanging target in the middle of the yard and from the edge closest to the house, I shoot tennis balls at the target.  Since I miss a lot, they scatter at the back area of the yard.

I used to collect them all at the back and shoot at the target again.  That's a lot of collecting.

Now I have a tupperware tub at my original firing line and sling the balls underhanded trying to drop them into the tub.  Since they collect and don't scatter, I'm all set for the next round of direct firing.

The strange thing is that I drop them into the tub at a longer distance with plunging fire much more often than I hit the closer target with direct fire.  Go figure.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #341 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 4:57am

Sir Missalot wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 4:21pm:
I used to collect them all at the back and shoot at the target again.  That's a lot of collecting.

We solved that here by having someone stand in front of the target to catch the balls and throw them back.

https://youtu.be/j6Cpm2LBdWs

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #342 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 7:13am

Kilisi I was just looking at your vertical style and was reminded of this ancient Greek guy:

prak.jpg (29 KB | 19 )
prak.jpg

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #343 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 8:04am

For me, I lob when warming up and when going for maximum close-range accuracy, but other than that, it's better to train power and accuracy together in my opinion. Little effort is needed to throw full power with good form. For long range, I'd call it flat-lining into the sky.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #344 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 5:26pm

People feel like they are throwing with more “power” because they put more effort in, but if the motion is inefficient, the projectile energy is not greater than a skilled throw that appears to require less effort.

So for me this is what I term efficiency and a highly efficient throw is one of the big keys to accuracy in my opinion. At least with the figure-8. As is slow, higher torque motion vs faster, lower torque.

My only point is that we should clarify what we are arguing over before we start to debate.

Cmon man...you know we like to get a thread warmed up before deciding what we are arguing about.

On an unrelated note Ive posted a lot today. And since I have absolutely no shame, I will continue to do so until people die and give me something to do. That being said if I am posting a lot that means people in my city are generally having a decent day. So in a way...my posting...saves lives...ish.
You may all take a turn staring in awestruck wonder at my magnificence.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)