Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
Lobbing vs. Throwing (Read 79842 times)
a

a

a
Re: Lobbing vs. Throwing
Reply #315 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 10:04pm

It depends how hard you want to hit something. Hit a bird full strength 30 feet up a tree and you won't be eating it afterwards, it will probably explode.

But if you're trying to save yourself from a pack of stray dogs, then full strength is the way to go.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #316 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 3:48am

Back in the day, I was just struck by Balearic dudes shooting slower and in arcs; and I was annoyed by the wangers saying that their way was the true way to sling. Besides, as a slinger I like a good windup.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #317 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 4:13am

Thearos wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 3:48am:
I was annoyed by the wangers saying that their way was the true way to sling.

I'm with you, when slinging for fun I want to throw as hard as I can. I'm not very experienced with target shooting though, there must a be a good reason they do it.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #318 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 12:56pm

When I straightline I shoot with my back turned to the target ("Makron style", as this community unanimously agreed to call it), and a sudden explosive unwinding of the body towards target. The extra-long acceleration path gets good accuracy but strains my elbow (already left delicate by fencing).

When I lob (shoot heavy and controlled), that spares my joints but requires a lot of precise style and timing in order to avoid slack / lag.

The whole debate about delivery of energy was in reply to people saying that it was not "real slinging" in historical terms.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #319 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 8:55am

Flatlining, lobbing?
What the hock does any of that mean?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #320 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 8:58am

It's funny I understand both but defining is a little difficult. Flatlining is throwing hard and in line with the ground. A lob is more of an arc I would say. As if you're throwing over something like a fence. A lob has a much higher point of release.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #321 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 11:58am

point of release depends on the actual throwing style.

For ,lobbing underhand is easily the best.

Great for heavier stones and clearing obstacles - like barricades or castle walls.

Like most things - it's horses for courses.

use the style and method that fits the situation.

One reason it pays to learn and practice with lots of different styles and not just get locked into helicopter or balearic sidearm or fig 8 for that matter.

Each throwing style has it's pros and cons - so why limit yourself to just one ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #322 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 2:45pm

By that definition I prefer flatlining but I am only able to do that with small dense projectiles. It just feels so much nicer but it is impossible to do with larger projectiles.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #323 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 8:07pm

Your servant, carefully dropping a stone on target (technique much improved after tutorials with Aussie, God rest his soul).

Slinging_swan_002.jpg (249 KB | 19 )
Slinging_swan_002.jpg

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #324 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 6:31am

I am starting to get a love again for ''whanging'' which means lighter projectiles for me ~75g
Archery is taking more of my focus lately, and the slow speed of heavy stones have become an unpleasing sight in comparison to the fast flight of arrows. So I have turned to making my clay glandes around 75g and now they are ''bullets'' flying as fast/faster then arrows. Which I like.

The upsides of being able to carry twice the usual amount I can and being able to make my slings more petite are also nice

Reading a little bit back in this thread. I think shattering of stone is not a good indication of power level. Stones thrown against steel are prone to shatter, even  a hand throw can shatter a stone. It very much depends on the type of stone and the back stop. Stones slung against firm steel backstop should pulverize and not shatter, then you can say they are powerful shots.

So even weak throws against a steel plate tied to a wooden backstop can make it seem powerful than it is, because the power required to shatter is not very high and the noise of a stone hitting steel is very loud.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #325 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 8:53am

I think you are right that it comes down to personal preference and opinion J.
I have days when I am extremely accurate and consistent with “whangers”, and others where a relaxed toss is going to hit the mark... but rarely both on the same day. That means both are possible depending on how you want to sling and what the goal is. The whole debate on both sides is anecdotal, and I could argue for and against both sides on different days from personal experience.

I think it was Paul Harrell who said, “If you’re only half right, you’re 100% wrong.”

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #326 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 8:57am

I don't like reading so much nonsense anymore.  Power.  Power.  Power.  An average shooter is able to sling kill without much problem.  Don't break all stones.  Even on did not steal.  Shoot lime or sandstone and you have crumbs afterwards.  Even concrete breaks.  But there are types of granite that do not break.  I prefer a reddish granite from Norway.  Here you can find this stone at the Baltic Sea and North Sea.  I drive 300 km for it.  I shoot a lot.  I need stones.  last a long time.  This granite does not exist in the Balearic Islands.  I might break two of them a year.  Luis didn't manage to break these stones either.  We tried several times.  Just stop talking about power.  Show your skills with the sling.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #327 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 9:58am

Oh Jaegoor... you always say the same thing about being tired of silly and meaningless debates. You even make big announcements about going back to play in your own sandbox... but you still come back again and respond to the nonsense.

What’s the purpose of announcing how tired of it you are? That just draws more attention to it. I’m starting to think you enjoy complaining because it’s an opportunity to point out how much of an expert you are.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #328 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:18am

Oh yeah, I keep saying it over and over.  Nothing new is coming either.  Always the same talk.  But where are the results?  Where are the super slingers with endless power.  I do not see her.  Do you.  What I do in my sandpit is my business.  I'm sure I shoot more there than most of the people here.  Does that make me an expert?  It certainly doesn't make me worse.  And I certainly don't have to hide.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #329 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:51am

It’s ok if people are wrong, and it’s ok if they have strong opinions about things that aren’t important to you. This is the Internet. Complaining about it doesn’t make a difference or make it better.

You don’t have to hide, and I don’t think anyone wants you to, but we already know that you think your ways are the best.   That’s ok. You have developed your ideas by testing them over many years, and you can support your opinions with skills.  There’s nothing wrong with confidence as long as it doesn’t become arrogance, but you should give other people a chance to figure things out for themselves too.  Other people may have different conclusions from different experiences, and that doesn’t always mean you are right and they are wrong. They might be wrong, or you might be... but it could also mean that the two sides are talking about completely different things.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)