Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings in the Pazific (1880) (Read 2343 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Slings in the Pazific (1880)
Sep 12th, 2013 at 3:05pm

Last weekend I stumbled over an article in the September Edition of the german magazine GEO (2013/09): "Königin Emma" (Queen Emma) by Christina Krätzig.
It is about Emma Forsayth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Forsayth), a trading woman, who lived around 1880 in the Pazific.

The particular text passage, which raised my attention:
Quote:
Doch als Emma Forsayth und ihre Leute das Landungsboot Richtung Strand steuern, entdeckt der Schiffsführer mehrere Männer im Gebüsch. Sie tragen Waffen. Die Matrosen reissen das Boot herum, legen sich in die Riemen; zurück im Schiff setzen sie Segel auf das offene Meer.
Doch seltsam: Kein Kanu nimmt die Verfolgung auf. Forsayths Leute glauben sich schon gerettet, da prasseln Steine aufs Deck, fetzen Löcher in Segel und Schiffsrumpf. Die Männer am Ufer benutzen Steinschleudern, wie sie keiner der Weissen zuvor gesehen hat. Die Steine treffen mit Wucht und genau, selbst auf 100 Meter Distanz. Nur mit Not bringt sich die Crew in Sicherheit.

Translation:
--
As Emma Forsayth and her crew are steering the landing boat towards the beach, the captain sees several men in the bushes. The are carrying weapons. The crewmembers turn the boat and row. Back on the ship they set sail towards the open sea.

But it is strange: No Canoe is taking up the pursuit. Forsayths men think they are save as suddenly stones rain onto the deck, rip holes into the sails and the ship Edited:
rump hull
. The men on the beach use slings, like no one of the whites has ever seen before. The stones hit with force and accurately, even on a distance of 100 meters. They only just manage to escape.
--

This incident is dated in the text to August 1880 and the location is "Neubritannien" (New Britain).

What do we gather from this text: The sling was in use by the indigenous population of "Neubritannien" in the 1880's and was also used in raids/warfare. Further it is interesting, that the white people did not know the sling. Therefore it seems that the sling was not generally known as a weapon in the colonial circle of this time.
They also considered a distance of 100 m well worth a shot. However the power of such a slung stone is in my eyes a little bit exagerated (ripping holes in sails and ship Edited:
rump hull
). I believe that a stone can rip a hole into a sail but a hole in the planks of a ship may be a little bit exagerated.

The article in the magazine shall be based upon a book by R.W. Robson.
So if anyone wants to know more about the use of the sling in "Neubritannien" in 1880 this may be a useful source.

Edited:
Corrected translation error: "Schiffrumpf" = ship hull
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2013 at 10:22am by Teg »  

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Slings in the Pazific (1880)
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 1:11pm

I see no exageration ..I've slung into shields,plank.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 4:07pm

I agree with jlasud, I have broken 1X6 boards (25mm X 150mm) with egg sized stones.  I doubt that every stone punched a hole in the ship but enough probably did that they felt it was worthy of commenting on.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 10:20am

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understood that they shot holes into the ship hull of a sailing ship (not into the deck and also not into the rowing boat). I have not really an idea on how thick a ship hull of a oceangoing ship is, but I estimate a thickness of at least 5 cm (2 inch) and more. Is this estimation reasonable?

I believe that you can shoot through a shield or break 2 cm of dense wood. But 5 cm of dense wood, cut along the grain, is in my eyes a bit optimistic.
Maybe the superstructure was damaged, but regarding the hull I'm still a bit sceptic.

Edited:
Rereading my original post I noticed a translation error: "Schiffsrumpf" =  ship hull

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 11:05am

If they wrote it down,it probably happened. But I agree,sling stones ripping through more than 1" planks is not probable. A lot is in the details,that we don't know.

Still,good article!

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 6:34am

Perhaps relevant to this debate. Metellus Balearicus, when attacking the Balearic islands (Strabo, Geography, 3.5), had hides stretched over the decks against sling projectiles. The idea is that he had to proect the rowers, who might be exposed from shots from above; there is no expectancy that slingstones will pierce the hull.

NB we are not looking at an original source, but at a German article based on a 1960s book on this 1880s incident. Lots of possibilities for misunderstanding.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 7:41am

I was under the impression that the stones were hitting the superstructure on the stern and breaking boards and punching holes in them.  Not punching holes in the hull or deck.  I should have clarified, sorry.  The deck and hull probably would have been closer to 3 inches (75mm).

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:44am

'Ships rump' sounds like the stern to me. On ships of that period this would be the fancy looking area with windows, easily destroyed by slingers.

Good find!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar)