Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Figure eight vs helicopter based styles (Read 7657 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Figure eight vs helicopter based styles
Aug 6th, 2013 at 3:12pm

Hi all,
When I first started slinging last year I mostly used the figure eight technique and had great success with it compared to other styles. Since then I have gravitated more towards the helicopter techniques(Byzantine, heli, Balearic). I Don't remember why I changed since then but I did. Anyway, now that I tried to use it again I suck. I used to think it was more powerful and accurate but I'm better with other styles now.
Has anybody experienced this as well? I think fig-8 is probably the best form and powerful and quick but I know that's only my inexperienced opinion.
Do any other helicopter based slingers find the figure eight awkward or vice versa?
Also I know jaegoor says fig-8 is unhealthy(if you're reading this Jaegoor please could you elaborate?). I wonder which is harder on the body...and which technique is a better investment of my time!
Tomas

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Figure eight vs helicopter based styles
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 3:22pm

I can sling well with both and I use a variation on helicopter very often.

Figure 8 is definitely the peak of sling styles. Fast, accurate, consistent, takes up minimal space, and applies a fantastic rifle to your shot.

Initially, I can be more accurate with my helicopter variant than figure because it feels a little more natural. Helicopter is also a little better with heavy ammo IME.

Here's a vid of me using both.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EW3zflrfY

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 5:03pm

Figure 8 is the most awkward to me and I quickly lose the technique when I stop practicing it. As with everything else in slinging, it's up to personal preference.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 8:24pm

never did really get fig 8. I really cannot seem to understand it.
nice link- A modest proposal
interesting read.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 8:51pm

figure for my normal slings helicopter for longer slings I use a overhand release for the helicopter helps me out a lot with acuracy. also a big fan of the apache for quick throws

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:02pm

I recently did a few shots with figure-8 for the first time in almost a year, and had no problems. Then again, it's always been my dedicated distance technique, so I can't speak for my accuracy with it. (Except that I'm conditioned to release far too early to hit anything that walks the earth with a flat trajectory, lol.)

If anything, overhand is less stressful on the body than sidearm throws. If I push it with a Heli, Greek, or Byzantine, I end up feeling it in my elbow for several days. I don't recall any such problems with overhand releases. If you think about it, pro athletes use throwing methods 80-90% similar to the Figure-8 all the time, and apparently without much in the way of problems. (Last I checked, pitchers actively avoid and discourage sidearm throws.)

I just don't use it much anymore because it thrashes my release cords too easily  Grin

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

freyem
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bielefeld, Germany
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 11:38am

That's funny, for me it seems like helicopter-like techniques are much better for my arms and elbows than other styles. I mainly practice a helicopter with sidearm release like camo-sling often does, and i don't put too much power into the shots (after all i want to become accurate). Also when slinging for range (and thus giving a lil more power) I hardly feel any strain from that technique.

When I do a 'traditional' sidearm, i.e. no rotations but just throwing the projectile into the half swing and directly letting it go hurts much more, same for overhand an fig 8.

Maybe I should practise those more Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 1:48pm

In the beginning I used Apache style while testing out other styles.  For some time my choice was between figure8 and helicopter (seems like a common dilemma).  I ended up with figure8 but for some time I was equally good (or lousy) with both styles.  When I try helicopter now I`m totally useless, with neither power or accuracy.  This is obviously not because of the style itself but only my lack of training.
I choose figure8 part because it was working best with my body.  Helicopter hurt my shoulder, figure8 is usually painless

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:48pm

Figure Eight never really caught on as an accurate style for me. I always found more success with sidearm techniques, however with that being said I haven't devoted the same amount of time developing it!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:54pm

heli hurts one's elbow... but my fig 8 throws go about as far as my heli throws right now(haven't slung in about 3 weeks minus today)... but heli is rapidly gaining.
fig 8 seems a tad more accurate... in the horizontal plane cause its overhand.
if there were a line of enemies i would choose helicopter cause I have signifigantly more accuracy- plus I would almost garunteed hit one of them...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 5:21am

Interesting answers you guys.
I went out yesterday and slung almost exclusively figure 8 with a few heli shots for comparison. I think even out of practice my accuracy was better than my usual heli style blunderings lol not that I don't blunder with the f-8! I definitely tend to release too early as a lot of my shots went high. I don't want to let one day decide my slinging fate but the figure 8 is back in my repertoire.
As for tennis elbow? Never had it but I do get shoulder pain sometimes from overdoing it. My friend Matt always says the pitcher is the hardest working man on the team and I know what he means when I feel that way!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 9:43am

yea... i spent approx 4 hours teaching my friend's little bro to sling(he isn't that much younger.. i think I probably went through ... maybe 3-400 stones... he went through (i am guessing) about 100-200... he really likes that apache you gave me donnershalg!!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 3:40pm

I prefer Helicopter based styles to Figure 8.  I don't hate Figure 8 but the Helicopter based styles seem more natural to me.  I generally use Balearic, Helicopter, Byzantine, Apache, and Underarm.  There is no right or wrong answer of course.  It's a matter of personal preference. 

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 5:42pm

Glad to hear it, Squirrel  Cool

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:01pm

I try and try..oh how I try to love figure 8. It looks so cool, it cancels cord twist, it makes lots of sense...my upper torso just does not want to cooperate. I am far too tight and inflexible for it to be accurate. All my shots are high and my windage is inconsistent.

Byzantine and Greek especially are my strong suits for explosive power and underhand is my go to technique for accuracy. ...weird huh?

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris)