Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Set Distances or Points Adjusted for Distance?

« Created by: CodeMaker on: May 29th, 2013 at 4:11pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Basic Competition Scoring and Distance (Read 10162 times)
CodeMaker
Descens

top score: 13

Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Basic Competition Scoring and Distance
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:56pm

if i understand your math correctly, it seems like it is more of a guess as to how distance affects accuracy. not a concrete formula that makes all distances fair. so it's probably better to get scores at different distances from people and then make a graph with it that we can publish.

"Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" - Judges, 20:16&&&&for all you right handed suckers out there Tongue

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:53pm

CodeMaker wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:56pm:
if i understand your math correctly, it seems like it is more of a guess as to how distance affects accuracy. not a concrete formula that makes all distances fair. so it's probably better to get scores at different distances from people and then make a graph with it that we can publish.

Percent hits on the y axis, distance on x. Line graph.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 10:47pm

Are you sure that would be a linear function? Eventually, the target will visually diminish more per meter as you go to a further and further range. Also, the effects cited of elevation, windage, and precieved target surface are going to come into it at a higher rate the longer the range.
Either way it will work, I was mostly thinking of the ease of operation, and fact that the balearic system uses something similar.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

CodeMaker
Descens

top score: 13

Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:25pm

no, it wont be linear. i'll probably end up linearizing it though in order to make myself a nice simple equation. i do agree that it would be easier to set up a simple method like yours, but i'm afraid it might handicap a few distances and give an advantage to a few others. i'd rather put a little more effort in and make an accurate point adjusting method. are you sure the Balearic system works like that? i thought they just had set distances.

"Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" - Judges, 20:16&&&&for all you right handed suckers out there Tongue

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:38am

The balearic system uses different distances, but the scores go up at the farther distances. Therefore, they have a similar system, if not designed for scalability.

I agree a linear function would be easier to work with. Perhaps a larger table of distances and scores would be necessary, with the formula attached for those who want to be overly precise.

The advantages to a "3/5 @ 50" system are that it relies on the diana hits first to win, then board hits for tie-breaking and more specific ranking.  However, like the Balearic system, you'd have to have a score at every distance to truely show your skill over the range continuum. But a straight point system has no respect for range: one hit on diana at 100 meters could loose to five board hits at 20, with the bull still intact.

I think that's a factor worth thinking about, since we are aiming to reward propper marksmanship, not almost-marksmanship.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:32pm

Agreed on the daina. Shotgun slings allowed? Wink

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #21 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:49pm

No shotgunning. That defeats the purpose, unless you're shooting skeet.

Otherwise, how do these point systems deal with this issue of diana vs board?

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 3:25am

Me thinks,there is a "spread angle",which would be very simple to calculate.(don't like math much).
A 20m radius circle's perimeter is 125m.
At 20m an average slinger has let's say 2.08m spread (sidearm,overhand diff planes).
That would be 125m/60 =2.08m ; 360/60= 6 degrees.

A 40m radius circle has a perimeter of 251m,divided by 60=4.18m
So there would be pretty close to 2 times the spread from 20 to 40m. So a score multiplier of 2 should be fair.

At 10m (10m radius circle) the perimeter is 62.8m. Divided by 60 to get the same 6 degree spread=1.04m

At 30m the perimeter of the 30m radius circle is 188.49m
Divided by 60=3.14

So at 3 times the distance,the spread is 3.01 times more. Of course these spread widths are not quite straight lines because they are segments of the perimeter of a big circle,but at 6 degrees it's pretty close.

Phew,wouldn't have thought that it's this simple,whatcha think?

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

TNshooter

Slinging Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 2:30pm

Who's diana???

IP Logged

TNshooter

Slinging Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 3:00pm

SS, nice shooting on that plywood. You're putting some power in there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, LightSlinger, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)