Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Remembering Aussie
May 24th, 2013 at 3:54pm

Quote:
Aussie - Aussieslinger passed away suddenly on the 30th of march 2013.

Ludek to his friends, Ludwik siedlecki AKA Aussie was one of the longest and steadiest members of this forum and probably the most generous man I've ever known.  
Almost the last thing he ever did was to log on to the forum and prepare to send some aussie slings out to members around the world.  

A long time employee of the Australian postal service, Aussie developed his aussie-pouch using material from discarded conveyor belts.  
From january 2007 to the day he died, over six years later, Aussie was still making and sending pouches to anyone, anywhere in the world who wanted one.  
Completely free of charge.  
I'm not sure if we'll ever get a full count, as the first ones were unnumbered, but over the years, with only a few short pauses, he sent out many hundreds of pouches and complete slings, never once asking for anything in return.  

As well as being a long serving moderator and the forum expert on David and Goliath, Aussie's posts were always intelligent and he was never shy of taking a stand on something he felt strongly about.  

As well as giving to the forum, he also got something back in return. His estranged half-brother - whom Aussie had never met, tracked him down through his article on david and goliath, joined the forum to email aussie and they were eventually reunited.  

He always kept his family life seperate from his online 'life' - which is one reason we didn't find out about his death untill almost two months after - but he felt strongly enough to share the story of meeting his brother with us.  

One of my strongest regrets is that I never got the chance to meet him in the 'real' world.  
But that must be tempered with the undoubtable fact that the 'virtual' world allowed me to know a man half a world away, who I respected and whom I will never forget.  

Godspeed mate, go teach those angels to sling.

You will be remembered.

Please add your own memories and words about Aussie to this thread.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Re: Remembering Aussie
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2013 at 5:32pm

I am very sad and shocked to hear that Aussie passed away.

There is little I can add to C_A's words. One of the kindest hearts I have known on this forum is no more.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people he left behind.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2013 at 5:36pm

Oh man, Aussie passed away two months ago and this is the first time we heard anything about it. I donīt know what to say, the news just hit me like a brick wall.

Aussie, even though I never personally met you, I could tell you were one of the kindest men Iīve heard of, you gave six years of your life to help slingers around the globe and asked for nothing in return, other than the friendship of forum members. I for one, will always have in my memories with the greatest regards and respect.

I will honor you by making a 21 sling crack salute.

Goodbye Aussie, may you find the peace all of us seek so desperately.      

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Mrn31

I am a man who walks alone...

Poland
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2013 at 5:43pm

That is really terrible news, my friends  Embarrassed

Honor of his memory.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2013 at 6:26pm

I'm sorry to hear the news; Aussie was one of the most generous members of the forum.

My prayers are with his family.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Intifada
Descens

Raining Stones

Bucks, UK
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2013 at 7:44pm

Being a relatively new member I never got a chance to converse with Aussie, or know him in any way, but the death of someone who happily gave his time and effort to others is always a great shame.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -  Denis Diderot

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2013 at 6:07am

It's sad to hear that a member passed away who joined up more or less simultaneously with me. My memory of him is, as already said by others, his constant stream of sent away slings. He certainly leaves a big gap in this community.

I wish his family all the best especially in such hard times. If you look up into the sky at night and see a shooting star, you will know that it is a sling stone from him, sent as a greeting to you.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2013 at 12:20pm

This is so sad.Ludwik,old pal,I'll miss your weather reports by P.M.,the packages in the mail,your understanding and guiding voice of resaon and so much more.

Godspeed buddy! Cry

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2013 at 12:24pm

I an sad hearing this.  He did, and knew, so much.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2013 at 12:59pm

I'm praying for his family.

He did a lot of work on here, especially in the way of the physics of the sling. He wrote a great chapter on said physics for TSG so his work will live on.

You have my honor and respect.

- Dan

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2013 at 9:38pm

I was deeply saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Aussie. He was truly one of the good ones and his presence will be sorely missed.My prayers go out to this family and those close to him. His generosity will live on in all the wonderful slings he sent out. (I have one, thankfully). Cry

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

TNshooter

Slinging Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - May 25th, 2013 at 10:26pm

That was a very nice memorial from all of you guys. Well done : )

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2013 at 10:59pm

I'm sorry to learn of Aussie's passing. We never interacted, but I learned to respect his reasoned tones where contentious issues cropped up. He'll be missed, here and wherever he was known.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #13 - May 26th, 2013 at 8:41am

Is there anything we can do to let his family know that we feel for their loss, and to let them
know what he did for this little community of ours?
Or would be an intrusion on their grief?

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2013 at 9:55am

I'm very shocked and sad Aussie passed away this year. He undoubtedly contributed the most towards slinging as anyone ever has. The selflessness of sending out hundreds and hundreds of slings will never be forgotten in this community as well as the Aussie sling design which will be celebrated long into the future in this community. Every time we use our Aussie slings he sent to us we will remember his kindness and impact on the community.

Rest in peace Aussie. We shall pray for your family.

Ps. Please ask David what sling he used and what slinging style he favored the most for us all

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Curious Aardvark)