Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recent Masters thesis on slinging (Read 5825 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Recent Masters thesis on slinging
May 1st, 2013 at 4:59pm

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1032&context=anthrothe...

This is massive and looks pretty good. It references a lot of the things we already know (one of my YouTube videos from Mallorca is referenced, woohoo! ) and it says the kind of things we would agree with.

Well worth a look.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Recent Masters thesis on slinging
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2013 at 8:21pm

Much better than Finney, I think. For the ancient world, too dependent on Metz and Gabriel (Xenophon does not say that lead penetrates flesh; that's e.g. Polybios / Livy).

Reliable data for initial speed, up to 50 m/s, which is probably a low figure in light of the distances Skov reaches. Very importantly, the highest velocities are reached with projectiles (lead) in the 25-35 g range, exactly the weight of most ancient Greek lead bullets.

Well put together piece of work.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2013 at 3:21am

David Morningstar wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 4:59pm:
It references a lot of the things we already know (one of my YouTube videos from Mallorca is referenced, woohoo! )

JEALOUS.  Wink haha thanks for the link! Great read too!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2013 at 9:50am

The chap, Skov, also slings better than Finney or Richardson.

IP Logged

SerpentOfSilverPlumes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2013 at 11:35pm

Thanks for posting this article!!!! Wonderful and scholarly study. Cool  I learned alot. It caused me to go buy some potters clay today. Going to make 35g bullets. He mentioned that this optimum weight also did not strain his muscles. I am very new to the art of slinging, so this paper was a real eye-opener on many levels Shocked

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2013 at 8:46am

C_A just told me (email today) that he rated my clay shot better than the stones we'd started the hillfort experiment with.
They were suggested by David M, of course, and were air-dried clay but heavier than 35g.

I was trying to make them comparable to the stones, so made them at about 70-75g so they were about 60g when used (having dried out for a few days then painted red.) I weighed a dozen just now and they're spot on 60g, including some paint and having been slung around Dorset a few times.

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2013 at 10:05am

If you fire them, they will lose another 10-15g but they will be there for the next couple of thousand years.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2013 at 8:42pm

Good trade off

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2013 at 10:20pm

And, once fired, you can always soak them in water again and they wont turn to mush but they will get their weight back.

IP Logged

SerpentOfSilverPlumes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2013 at 1:16am

This article inspired me to make biconical clay bullets today. I didn't know which category to post under, but what are your historical and personal insights to my post here regarding hand formation of clay biconical bullets?

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1367632620

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 6th, 2013 at 9:19am

well including davids video we get 8 references in the references section Thumbs Up
So he's defintiely done his homework  Smiley

Anyone know if he's member - we do have a number of erics, but whether he's one  noidea  

Couple of confusing tables at the end.

The velocity trials data are particularly odd.

Gives throwing style, projectile mass, velocity - but then gives : range without drag.

So is he slinging in a vacumn or just estimating the range based on the mathematical data.

Couple of ranges around the 250 metre mark. Which I wa sprepared to be impressed with. Till I read the 'range without drag' tag.

Ah - problem solved. He actually used a golf driving range simulator for his throws. So no physical ACTUAL ranges were recorded in the real word.

Shame as without real world ranges his data has significantly less validity than it might otherwise have had.

Biconical projectiles in particular, require around 10-15 metres before they hit full effective aerodynamism - due to initial wobble giving way to centrifugal force. So ranges estimated from a golf simulator at 3 metres are unlikely to be at all accurate.

His 'overarm' technique is fig 8.

Overall a very good paper. He's still way out on both distances and power. But then using yourself as the sole experimental subject will always have issues.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2013 at 10:06am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 9:19am:
Anyone know if he's member - we do have a number of erics, but whether he's one  noidea  

I would say there is quite a high chance that he is ArchaeoMan given this thread Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2013 at 1:21pm

ah ha !
definitely the same chap Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2013 at 8:09pm

wanderer wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 10:06am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 9:19am:

I would say there is quite a high chance that he is ArchaeoMan given this thread Smiley

Thanks for posting that link Smiley when I read the thesis and saw he was clicking speeds around 100 mph I was kinda taken aback. I'm not discrediting his slinging skill cause I'm sure he's better than me! I just thought slings were faster than that. Then I saw your link and my existential anxiety was cured lol
I gotta say I really enjoyed the read a lot too. Quite cool about the Pomo waterfowl hunting techniques.

IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #14 - May 11th, 2013 at 4:24am

I love it! A wonderful treasure trove of information. Thank you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)