Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Funda Ball Ammo (Read 42596 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Funda Ball Ammo
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:07pm

But you would be able to keep reusing the BB's, they would be on the inside of, basically, a sock.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:32pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:07pm:
But you would be able to keep reusing the BB's, they would be on the inside of, basically, a sock.

They are still not cheap.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 2:06am

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:59am:
How about a biconal shaped cloth bag filled with airsoft BB's and a few pieces of styrofoam for compression and shape?  The foam will keep the ends pointed and will compress when it hits something and the plastic BB's will give some weight and also compress when it hits.  The problem will be the manufactoring of enough to play a game with.  Sew and then glue, maybe?

I think I have an idea..  I may be able to post it later tonight...

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #18 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:43am

I had a look in a local Toy 'R' Us store the other day to see what sort of balls they had in there, and in particular looking for the football style stress ball. They had some there that was listed as 'small', but in my estimation, would be too big to fit in a sling. They were more like a third of a size football.

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:24am

Yeah Mick, probably a bit too big.  

But, the Stress Ball idea is sound.  I haven't been able to test it yet but, I have made some research progress.  Remember the T-Shirt Thread?  Well, that thing is coming in all sorts of handy..

Enter the prototype Funda Ball:

It's not too pretty to look at right now, but it has all the characteristics we are looking for except for one..  Well maybe two..  Accuracy.

The TFB (T-shirt Funda Ball) is the perfect size for slinging.  It weighs maybe a little more than a tennis ball, but it's biconical, meaning better aerodynamics.  Also, it's softer without taking all of it's punch out.  The main problem with this guy is that he flies in a corkscrew type pattern.  It still basically goes where it's pointed, but it may drift a bit.  Another upside to the TFB is that it's pretty easy to throw with a spiral.  In fact, it's easier than throwing a real football bare handed is...  The other downside to this ball is that I think it may have a tendancy to get a little distorted in shape when it hits something.  Not drastically, but seems like the nose flattened a little after a couple of throws..

This particular ball took up about 3/4 of a ball of T-Shirt Yarn.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #20 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:58am

What if you made a casing of vinyl in a biconical shape and stuffed it with your T-shirt material, then stitched it closed? A smooth outer surface would be better for the aerodynamics. Come to think of it, you could fill with whatever you wanted. It might also hold it's shape better with a casing.

Mick

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:56am

you're not slinging over large enough distances to bother with biconical.

For short distances ie: under 100 metres, spherical ammo is best. Same impact no matter how it hits. Which you don't get with biconical.
Same flight characteristics - always.

And much much easier to make.

How about wrapping a golf ball in the t-shirt material ?
That should give you weight, softness and pretty easy to make.

Actually another argument for tennis balls is you can line the targets, and possibly the players, with hooky side of velcro and the tennis balls would stick to them.
Give the players velcro vests and you'd have to hit the torso or the tennis balls wouldn't stick. Which should help stop people going for headshots.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:55am

Dunno if I agree about the biconicals.  I can put some pretty viscious spin and drift on a tennis ball inside 40 meters.  A biconical with a smooth surface area should put an end to that kind of shenanigans.

The velcro is a cool idea for the Sling Dodge Ball thread, but it lends a bit of silliness to Funda Ball that I'm not sure I like (for some reason these images of people coated in velcro throwing themselves against velcro walls to stick to them keeps popping into my head.)  Really, the only player that it's important to know about hits on would be the General, and there should be a ref watching him anyway. 

@ MickR:  Yeah, that could work but it might just be easier to buy a bunch of stress balls and inject them with silicone.  It actually took a bit of time to make that prototype.  Maybe it was just cause it's the first one I've made, but I dunno.  I'll have to try and make a few and see how long they take.  For the casing though, I was thinking about the possibility of using shrink wrap.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 8:27am

Shrink wrap might be too brittle, but you may as well try it anyway. Can't hurt!

Mick

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #24 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 4:57pm

I am working on a stuffed-sand-fabric type thing, its sort of like a cornhole bag but different. Will post pics.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #25 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 9:30pm

I don't think sandbags will work for the same reason that we can't use rusty sling balls.  They will hurt and probably injure.  I experimented with putting a rusty inside of the t-shirt Funda ball.  It hurts.  And I just threw it into my leg, and not very hard. 

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:06pm

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 9:30pm:
I don't think sandbags will work for the same reason that we can't use rusty sling balls.  They will hurt and probably injure.  I experimented with putting a rusty inside of the t-shirt Funda ball.  It hurts.  And I just threw it into my leg, and not very hard.  

You misunderstand me. I am making a ball-like thing from sand-fabric- cotton fabric with sand glued to it. Its very soft, but heavy.
I slung one at my friend, it was a half-done 2 oz thing. It left a reddish mark, but no bruising. From 10 yards, medium power.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #27 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:29pm

Ah, I see.   Can't wait to see em!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #28 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:36pm

Hm...have someone tried a heavy footbag king of ammo,I have an experience  with this king of footbags filled with dense plastic pellets. They do fly well and do not cause bruising(as far as i tried with a 2 1/2 oz bag hitting a friend of mine within 20 feet distance with force)

IP Logged

slingmoore
Tiro

sling: simple, ancient,
powerful

West Bengal, India
Reply #29 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 10:06pm

I think tennis balls are still a good idea... I think it's difficult to throw a tennis ball very hard because of wind resistance on the fuzz.   Plus it's an easily attainable inexpensive and somewhat expendable ball that will stay in the fence of a tennis court.  You guys got pictures of those ones you're building?  Or links to pictures?

Glen&&slingmoore.com, dedicated to the most simple ancient and powerful throwing tool in the world under two ounces.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger)