Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Olive wood? (Read 6954 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Olive wood?
Apr 5th, 2013 at 1:10am

Does anyone have any olive wood/staves that would be suitable for making an instrument with?  I'm planning on making a banjo this summer, but need some decent wood with which to do so. 

I'd prefer to trade for some slings, if you're willing; I have many.  If you're interested, pm me and I'll send some pics.  I could even make a sling to your specs if desired (although there are limits.  I don't have a loom, so I can't make a tut sling, for instance.  And I'm limited to the cordage I have, although I do have some very nice jute...).

Thanks for checking this out.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Re: Olive wood?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 1:11am

I'm open to suggestions as well.  I'd prefer olive, but if you have another type of wood you believe would look nice in an instrument, let me know, either in replies or pms.  Thanks.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 10:00pm

Osage?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 10:41pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 10:00pm:
Osage?

Dense, hard to carve, among other things.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:53am

and olive isn't ?
lot of compression wood in olive. it's one reason you get that crazy grain.

I'd love to get hold of some to turn. But it's bloody expensive over here.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:17am

What part are we talking about?   The neck, the "pot"?    

People have made musical instrument necks out of a wide variety of woods... They need to be amenable to carving, stiff, and resistant to flexing from string pressure.   Common woods are mahogany, maple, and so forth.
In my cigar-box guitar making, I usually use oak because it's readily obtainable, stiff as hell, and reasonably easy to carve.  Any big-box hardware store has plenty.
For extra stiffness, I often laminate pieces... 2 pieces of 1" maple with a 1/4" piece of oak sandwiched between, then carve the whole neck from that.
I've never had any problem with string pressure warpage... but then banjos don't have a lot of string pressure anyway.

If you're talking about the "pot"... that's a whole different animal with traditional construction... Almost all are currently made of laminates.. steamed and scarf-jointed.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:18am

If olive has lots of compression wood, would it make a good bow?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 4:44pm

Yes, olive will make a good bow, just like most other fruitwoods. So, for a banjo neck, how about plum, apple or pear?

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:06pm

Hmm.... I didn't know Olive would be quite that difficult.  I suppose plumwood would work nicely; the look is great. 

And this is for the pot, not the neck.  I'm probably going to acquire some oak for the neck.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:08pm

I would love to get some quilted or striped maple, but it's pretty hard for me to come by.  And to be honest, I'd prefer to use said woods in a guitar or a mandolin, where I can show off the beauty of the wood more fully.  I may make a mandolin, in fact, if the banjo goes well; my instrument making experience is severely limited.  But I suppose everyone has to start somewhere...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:08pm

bear in mind that olive is not like any other fruit wood. Slower growing, denser with a completely all over the place grain.
Don't see how that would make a good bow.
Don't you need straight, consistent grain for a bow ? 

Or am I missing something obvious ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 5:10pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:08pm:
bear in mind that olive is not like any other fruit wood. Slower growing, denser with a completely all over the place grain.
Don't see how that would make a good bow.
Don't you need straight, consistent grain for a bow ?  

Or am I missing something obvious ?

Eeehhhhh... Character is what its called when you have wood with all-over-da-place grain.
Character bows shoot good, but look very wierd.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:24pm

Most character bows go blouie on the tillering tree and are used for kindling.  Ask me how I know that one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:04am

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:24pm:
Most character bows go blouie on the tillering tree and are used for kindling.  Ask me how I know that one.

that's what I was thinking.

The issue with 'character' is that the woods grain is all over the place, you bend the wood, some of the grain will go with you, some will resist. The grain that goes with you will generally split and break.

It's the resistance of the longitudinal grain that gives a bow it's springiness. When the grain is both transverse and longitudinal it can't be as strong.

At least that's what makes sense to me.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 11:55am

You left out knots. 

Some people can make awesome bows from really lousy pieces of wood, pretty near everydamnone will break sooner or later.  They are great to learn on, if you get a bow from those pieces of wood or even if you don't, you learn a lot about bow making.  I have done it, everybody who makes bows should make at least one bow that they didn't think they could.  That being said, I would much rather work on a clean stave than a knotty, twisted one.  I'm to the point that I don't bring the knotty, twisted staves home, or if I do, I use them for fence posts.  If I work for 40+ hours on a stave, I want a bow when I'm finished. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)