Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Accuracy sneaks up on you... (Read 13954 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Accuracy sneaks up on you...
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2013 at 1:18pm

yep surfing is good for general fitness, balance, coordination and I would imagine core strength.
So yep I'd agree that surfing is a good exercise for slingers Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #16 - May 8th, 2013 at 6:23am

Well since it has been raised, I would like to know what sort of exercises would be ideal for slinging fitness (besides actual slinging practice)? I don't surf so that's out.

Mick

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2013 at 9:55am

I have very little evidence to back this up but baseball players and people that 'throw things' tend to pick up slinging quicker and be quite good at it.

With the small amount of muscle involved in slinging, its the throwing mucles like the triceps. You can probably look up workouts for throwing and most of them would be applicable.

However, the best activity for slinging is... Slinging. The vast majority of good slinging comes from lots of good practice and proper form.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #18 - May 8th, 2013 at 5:47pm

@mickr  ... what was that called .. short plank on cylindrical roller I think perhaps bongo board??

http://t3.gstatic.com/imagesq=tbn:ANd9GcQF4vyFi7WBYL3QWm_0KcuJBsa1e4NznHPYcT6TCp...

Good for the legs .. good for the core

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #19 - May 8th, 2013 at 9:11pm

You're not trying to convince me to try skateboarding now are you Steven?! 'Cause I can see a similar result of landing on my arse trying either  Wink. Actually, by exercise I meant strengthening the appropriate muscle groups, and so core strength would be the very least you would need to look at I suppose. Baseball is a good idea, but not very practical where I live.  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:20pm

My favorite form of upper body and core exercises is paddling a kayak.  I would guess that any form of rowing or paddling would work.

IP Logged

Intifada
Descens

Raining Stones

Bucks, UK
Reply #21 - May 10th, 2013 at 1:43pm

Today my figure-of-eight throw transformed from spinal torture to wizardly accuracy (for 5 or 6 throws).
I launched the dog's ball and hit my ever-loving girlfriend on the wrist, which was a great relief as I thought I'd hit the hound on the head. My girlfriend, inexplicably, failed to see this new found accuracy in a positive light.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -  Denis Diderot

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #22 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:23pm

I haven't laughed so hard in ages! Thanks Intifada, I can actually relate to that thought. My mutt comes just (only just) before my kids. The wife rates last (Don't tell her I said that though  Lips Sealed).

Now another thought and question on accuracy (practice). In knife and axe throwing it is recommended that you always throw at full power (for the sake of consistant revolutions). This led me to the thought that slinging is recommended to practice at slower speed for technique, but when you get that technique and put a shot or three at the target at full speed, most likely your release timing is off. What has been the problem with full speed practice in the past? Or has there not been much research put into this aspect of training?

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - May 11th, 2013 at 8:42am

Well, for one thing, knife and ax throwing only uses your arm, the sling extends your arm for a lot more leverage.  As you progress, you will get back up to full power, it's just easier to learn at about 3/4th power, you can sort out what you did or didn't do.  If you look at the videos that member have posted, the better slingers are throwing at full power, they are also very smooth and controlled, just like any other weapons master or martial artist.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #24 - May 12th, 2013 at 7:36pm

Thought it might be something like that. Thanks.

Mick

IP Logged

owldraco
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Ky
Reply #25 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:26pm

As far as accuracy goes is it better to start at a close range and get consistent with that before moving farther away? Maybe start at about 30 feet and then move on. Or maybe have targets at different heights?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2013 at 8:56pm

If you can do it safely, move up to about 8-10 yards or meters.  Watch out for bounce back or shattering projectiles, though.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #27 - May 17th, 2013 at 3:54pm

Bill Skinner wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 8:56pm:
If you can do it safely, move up to about 8-10 yards or meters.  Watch out for bounce back or shattering projectiles, though.

Or exploding projectiles. Hickory and Beech and Walnut nuts are horrid projectiles cause they go ka-boom.
This is caused by the amount of spin on the projectile.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - May 17th, 2013 at 7:04pm

squirrelslinger wrote on May 17th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
Bill Skinner wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 8:56pm:
If you can do it safely, move up to about 8-10 yards or meters.  Watch out for bounce back or shattering projectiles, though.

Or exploding projectiles. Hickory and Beech and Walnut nuts are horrid projectiles cause they go ka-boom.
This is caused by the amount of spin on the projectile.

Walnut nut nuts are just called 'walnuts'.  Wink

Also, that's ridiculous. Keep in mind there are actually people who come here to learn from expierienced slingers with real world perspicacity.

I've slung dozens of walnuts and they all flew like anything else except they made a little more splat on target due to the moisture within. Hickory nuts are decent slingshot ammo but are on the light side for slings. I assume beechnuts are probably quite similar.

Anytime something shatters on contact- which is completely different than exploding- its due to the force behind it, not the rifling.

In any case, whenever you are slinging, be sure to use proper discretion.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2013 at 11:19am by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

celron
Tiro

The rock flies.

Apopka, Florida
Reply #29 - May 21st, 2013 at 4:42pm

After getting past my "twirl the sling a lot" phase, I began to dial in my accuracy with short, deliberate throws.

Ironically the deliberate motion of the new throw ended up sending my projectiles farther than my helicopter-blade release. Very satisfying!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)