Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Accuracy sneaks up on you... (Read 13968 times)
vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Accuracy sneaks up on you...
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 1:59pm

I see. well no wonder then.  Just went outside today to have a go at some accuracy testing and I need a LOT of improvement.  though, to my credit, my ammunition is terrible here, I need to go find some river stones or something other than this small jagged stuff I have at my house here.  I can understand how slinging can really take years to get good, and even more to master, if ever.  But its the journey.

Edited:
since this topic has drifted a bit, I thought a new topic might be in order!
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 6:16pm by LightSlinger »  

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Distances...
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 1:24am

Yeah Buddy, it sure is!  Honestly, I love slinging just for the feel of it, the look of it, and the fun of it.  I have pretty hideous accuracy myself.   I actually finally set up a square wooden target about 18 inches to a side and took about 25 shots at it.  Out of 25, I scored one hit and a couple near misses.  From 15 meters.  That's pretty close!  But, I know that i just don't have the attention span neccesary to practice in a consistant manner, so, I'm pretty much doomed to crappy accuracy, LOL..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:42pm

accuracy actually sneaks up on you.

During the hillfort experimants I discovered that I'm extremely accurate. And can now state that - yes I could defend myself with a sling and hunt with one too should the need arise.

Best tips I can give are simple:
Always use the same sling. I think that's the most important thing.
I've carried my cap paul for about 6 years. rarely use anything else and when I tried target shooting with another sling I was rubbish.

But the cap paul is now just like an extension of my body. Whatever style I use it feels natural.
And once you stop thinking about the basic mechanics of slinging you can start concentrating on the finer aspects needed for accuracy.

I would also recommend spending 10 years slinging stones, balls, bottles, sticks, etc for a dog.
In particular a running dog. Turns out that's the secret to accuracy.
When you're slinging 1lb rocks to land fairly close to your best friend - you get accurate Smiley

Consitency is also the way to distance. The more you sling the more you'll start using your whole body and the better your power slinging should get.

In other words: practice, practice and then when you get bored - practice some more Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:58am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:42pm:

During the hillfort experimants I discovered that I'm extremely accurate. And can now state that - yes I could defend myself with a sling and hunt with one too should the need arise.

I've carried my cap paul for about 6 years. rarely use anything else and when
I tried target shooting with another sling I was rubbish.

But the cap paul is now just like an extension of my body. Whatever style I use it feels natural.
And once you stop thinking about the basic mechanics of slinging you can start concentrating on the finer aspects needed for accuracy.

I would also recommend spending 10 years slinging stones, balls, bottles, sticks, etc for a dog.
When you're slinging 1lb rocks to land fairly close to your best friend - you get accurate Smiley

Consitency is also the way to distance. The more you sling the more you'll start using your whole body and the better your power slinging should get.

In other words: practice, practice and then when you get bored - practice some more Smiley  

You mean all that practice will be for nought if your sling breaks?!  Shocked Cry And you'll be back at square one again?! After all those long years of practice and many maimed or killed hounds?!    Tongue

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:13am

LOL. 

Your Point C_A is the very reason why my accuracy will probably always BE rubbish.  I have a nasty case of ADHD and can't stick with one sling for long.  I do find myself going back to the same one over and over, but I just get bored with using the same one for too long (too long = more than 30 throws).  But honestly, I think that part of the reason I have a hard time sticking to one for long is because I'm always thinking in the back of my head that maybe I would do better with a different one.. LOL.  Gotta love viscious circles..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:32pm

I have a really short sling that I started with and it feels the most natural, but I know I would do better in the long run with a longer sling, so I practice with a bunch of different ones and just try to feel the way that each one responds to me.  Plus it matters what type of ammo I am using, I have a smaller one for small rocks, golf balls, etc, but I have one made for slinging tennis and lacrosse balls that is much longer, but it always boils down to the same thing... practice equals better range and accuracy...

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:42pm

I have standardized two sling lengths that i always use,and replace :110cm mostly,and 70cm.
Now i use the same pouches,with the cords,that i change after they broke,and replace with the same synthetic cords for my practice slings. (natural fibers fell like wheat before a scythe ,with the jagged stones round here)
The best is that now i have some standardized ammo as well from concrete,clay ,lead. That also makes a huge difference,compared to using random stones.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Accuracy sneaks up on you...
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 6:30pm

Yep yep!

I know that standardization is kind of a swear word around here but it can have its uses.  Since the Sling had SO MANY variables involved in its use, standardization helps by reducing some of them.  I mean really, a change in length of your sling by even a few centimeters can really throw you off!  Pouch style, same.  Distance, same..  Ad nauseum..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:47pm

Personal standardization is one thing,and Standardizing for every slinger,,and making them having to accept or go home is another.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:07am

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can dial in your accuracy. However the key to such progress is to be as consistent in as many factors during practice as you can realistically manage. That means you should use the same sling in the same style to sling consistent ammo with consistent form. The more you pay attention to the details, the better. (Especially with form.)

Basically don't sloppily juggle 5 different slings and styles, aiming only at the horizon and switching between fist-sized chunks of masonry and troll dolls all willy-nilly.  Tongue

Starting with half-power, and focusing on narrowing your "death cone" while increasing power and range are a decent way to go about it.
Also, to quote a certain movie, "Aim small, miss small." Meaning if you're trying to hit a target, be very specific about what part you want to hit. This really, REALLY helps me. Smiley

Sometimes pointing at the target helps me. I like focusing on my slinging arm's index finger upon release, but some prefer to point with their off-hand until the last second. Definitely a preference thing

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:12pm

Since I started using the sling Huntsman sent me, I am getting more accurate.
Probably because its the only sling someone has given me that can stand up to a 10 oz stone, and i have redone the whip wrap 9 times since I got it. Whip Wrap is medical tape.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2013 at 7:55pm

When I first moved out into the country and subsequently found that I was now in a place where stones were abundant, I began getting lazy and slinging random, poorly shaped stones while working on my form.  My form got better,  more consistent and more controlled but my accuracy only got a little better.  Still I was happy with any progress.  Then winter came and the river that I have to cross to get to my slinging area flooded.  So I began making manufactured concrete ammo again and slinging in a field next to my home.  I have made loads of this stuff over the years and said I would never do it again.  But when faced with making ammo or not slinging at all, I of course broke down.  Very consistent and well shaped with the drawback of having to replace lost ammo constantly.  And pretty soon my accuracy shot up through the roof to get in line with my now (apparently) much better technique. At the time I was thinking "Wow, I'm almost at my goal of sling mastery! This is amazing." 

Then late spring gets here,  the river dies down and I go back to my favorite slinging area to demolish those small targets which, before, had been so troublesome.  I begin using all my old stones from last year and suddenly my accuracy drops again... Ahh... So depressing.  Not matter how good your technique, you will never be able to master the sling with poorly shaped stones.  I keep hoping that as I get better and better that it won't be such a problem, but I doubt it.

But accuracy really does sneak up on you.  It's amazing just how quickly you can get 50% to 100% better when you change some previously unknown problem in your technique.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2013 at 12:06am

Yep. imagine loosing arrows that miss a feather or two,have different spine,weight,length, then you wonder how your not so accurate. same with slinging.
Most of us sling what they pick up. Me too. It's just that majority of stones here are so crap  that even at 20m they can curve off 1m or even more even with an otherwise perfect shot.

Yesterday i had a very nice slinging practice with my sling buddy.  We slung the best stones that we've ever seen.
I've collected ~ 50 river stones in about 3 years when i was on trips and found nice stones.
We slung them at a great slinging place that i found and now is my fav  slinging place because it has a vertical wall ,and it's wide of some soft sedimentary layer ,so whenever i hit it it crumbles,dusts so the projectile doesn't have to absorb all of it's impact energy,so if they're hard stones 95+% of the time they survive the impact without chipping or breaking. And i don't lose any of them.
Concrete survives average 3 shots before it breaks so i use a safety net,so 95%+ survives.

It was nice to see how nice shapes stones are much better than crap stuff,but still the uniform/shape ammo is what's best for accuracy.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2013 at 9:34am

Mick wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:58am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:42pm:

I've carried my cap paul for about 6 years. rarely use anything else and when
I tried target shooting with another sling I was rubbish.

You mean all that practice will be for nought if your sling breaks?!  Shocked Cry And you'll be back at square one again?! After all those long years of practice and many maimed or killed hounds?!    Tongue

Mick

lol not exactly.
I can easily replicate the cap paul.
What I mean is always use a sling of the same design and length. The less you have to think about release point and pouch travel the more you can concentrate on improving your physical technique.

I'd also advocate regular exercise, gym sessions and tai chi Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #14 - May 6th, 2013 at 10:06am

And surfing Smiley

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)