Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Redd's Apple Ale Commercial (Slinging Edit) (Read 10020 times)
Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Re: Redd's Apple Ale Commercial (Slinging Edit)
Reply #30 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:29am

If I could turn a sling with half as much confidence, I'd be up there with Luis  Wink. Thanks for the compliment mate.

Mick

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #31 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:15pm

well about the only thing that competes with babies on youtube is cats.

So maybe we could just sling some cats at some babies Thumbs Up

I'm not over fond of either one whistle

Like the idea of a commercial for slinging.org though Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #32 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:37pm

They might be a future sponsor for one of our events!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

HaifischKuchen
Descens

Slinging Stones!

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:31am

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 6:33am:
  Yep, that's the idea...  Honestly, I don't think it would be as hard as you might think.  I mean, look at the Redd's commercial.  It's not really that complicated at all.  The rough part is the hook, or the gag.  What will make this really stand out to our demographic and make it memorable?  I mean that's the key really, not that I have to tell YOU that..

So, occassionally, Slingers get together at what we sometimes refer to as Sling-Fests.  Just a get together of Slingers really.  I think they played a game of Sling Golf during one a while back.  My Idea is to make these things a bit more regular and use them to gather not just established slingers, but the un-initiated as well.  I may have one soon in my home town that will have different elements to it.  A begginers class on how to sling, maybe a sling golf tourney, an accuracy competition and maybe, just maybe, in a few years, a Funda Ball League!

I just think that these little SlingFests may benefit greatly from a well thought out and executed video like yours...

Maybe it would help to further define our demographic.  Like I mentioned in the second paragraph, my concept of the SlingFest is not simply a gathering of Slingers but people that we can CONVERT into Slingers.  We can shoot (in a manner of speaking) for a few different demographics.

1.   My personal favorite:  Families
  2.   Sportsman/Sportswomen (Golfers, Survivalists, baseball coaches who want to train their players to catch fly balls, Hunters, etc.)
  3.   Hobbists.  (Isn’t this what most of us are? LOL)
  4.   Church Groups…  You know why..
  5.   Even Obscure groups.  (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalists, Anarchists, etc.)

I’m sure if I gave it some thought I could come up with others…

I see, I guess I wasn't sure what a sling-fest was exactly.  I knew I would surely attend one, but I wasn't sure what it was about.  You definitely have this thought out and your demographic list makes sense!  Slinging.org needs a marketing division of some sort to come up with materials and help spread the word.

As for a video I was thinking of the videos David Graham does.  You have probably seen them on youtube.  He has videos of parkour, the human slingshot, giant rope swings, snowball fights, X games stuff, and all kinds of fun stuff.  They are a fairly simple concept, a bunch of happy smiling people doing some sort of crazy stunt and having a ton of fun, shot with sweet angles with multiple cameras (action cameras, DSLR steadicams, hexacopter cameras), and then edited with quick cuts with some slow-mo thrown in and really no verbal audio, pretty much a song in the background and then all the nat sound from the action.  They are really fun to watch, and it makes your real life feel boring to see all the fun these people are having.  If there was a way to have a large sling-fest with a bunch of people and then shoot the action and edit it in a similar style, that might make for a popular video.

Here is the guy's youtube channel if you want to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/user/devinsupertramp?feature=watch

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #34 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:52am

HaifischKuchen wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:31am:

I see, I guess I wasn't sure what a sling-fest was exactly.  I knew I would surely attend one, but I wasn't sure what it was about.  You definitely have this thought out and your demographic list makes sense!  Slinging.org needs a marketing division of some sort to come up with materials and help spread the word.

As for a video I was thinking of the videos David Graham does.  You have probably seen them on youtube.  He has videos of parkour, the human slingshot, giant rope swings, snowball fights, X games stuff, and all kinds of fun stuff.  They are a fairly simple concept, a bunch of happy smiling people doing some sort of crazy stunt and having a ton of fun, shot with sweet angles with multiple cameras (action cameras, DSLR steadicams, hexacopter cameras), and then edited with quick cuts with some slow-mo thrown in and really no verbal audio, pretty much a song in the background and then all the nat sound from the action.  They are really fun to watch, and it makes your real life feel boring to see all the fun these people are having.  If there was a way to have a large sling-fest with a bunch of people and then shoot the action and edit it in a similar style, that might make for a popular video.

Here is the guy's youtube channel if you want to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/user/devinsupertramp?feature=watch

Yep, that's pretty close to what I'm talking about actually.  How difficult do you think something like that would be to pull off?

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #35 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 7:01am

Hmm. Watched the yo-yo kid video.

Fairly impressive.

But the music was very annoying. And I'm one of those people who don't like all that bloody camera angle jumping about. Makes it difficult to see any actual details. Admitted that was slightly less annoying than other videos I'Ve seen.

Guess it depends on the demographic you're going for Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #36 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 8:18pm

HaifischKuchen wrote on Apr 2nd, 2013 at 2:55am:
Ha!  That's a great idea for an All State Mayhem commercial!  It would be quite a setup to make one of those, and it would have to have as much destruction as possible!  That would be the super fun part.  Maybe starting with a slung stone, and then a chain reaction knocking down a huge sign on top of a car or something.

No, I'm not a film student, but actually part of my day job is producing local commercials.  So I guess whenever I see a national commercial, I always end up breaking it down to see how it's done.  I just thought I would have some fun with these.

I can handle a 16 oz stone and hurl it more than 100 yards unassisted....(e.g just a sling, no staff, etc)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HaifischKuchen
Descens

Slinging Stones!

Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 3:56am

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:52am:
Yep, that's pretty close to what I'm talking about actually.  How difficult do you think something like that would be to pull off?

It doesn't look like it would be too difficult.  It could probably be done with a relatively small crew.  Just a couple camera guys running around getting all the action shots.  Aerial shots from a copter would be nice, but not really necessary.  And then editing it all together.  But yeah, a video like that will not appeal to everyone, it's just one idea.  Maybe there is a better idea out there.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 8:17am

If ECSM goes through, we'll try to get as much camera footage as we can. Then maybe we can all email it to one person who has a significant video editor (not just YT editor) to piece it together into something cool with epic music.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #39 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:34pm

That would be pretty awesome Dan..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)