Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Biblical references to slingstones (Read 981 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Biblical references to slingstones
Mar 29th, 2013 at 1:55pm

OK, I found 3 references to sling stones in the Bible, that are not related to David. In fact, they're New Testament.
2nd Chronicles 26:14  And Uzziah prepared for them, even for all the host, shields, and spears, and helmets, and coats of mail, and bows, and stones for slinging.

Job 41:28 Arrows cannot make him flee: sling stones are turned with him into stubble.

Zechariah 9:15 Jehovah of Hosts doth cover them over, and they consumed, and subdued sling stones.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Biblical references to slingstones
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:33am

Interesting, but Chronicles, Job and Zechariah are definitely Old Testament.

I've often wondered whether the folk song, "Turn, Turn, Turn" which takes its lyrics from Ecclesiastes, refers to slingstones when it talks about, "a time to gather stones", ie. a time to prepare for war.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

monoid

Slinging Really Rocks!

Novosibirsk region, Russia
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 1:57am

There's also "a time to scatter stones".

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 9:07am

Yeah, those are all OT but they are still worth mentioning here, slings were definitely part of the isrealite culture.

Job is actually the oldest book in the Bible (Genesis covers 'older material' but Job was completed first) so that's a pretty significant find. With that, we can know that slings were in common use long before David.

Its also good to know not to bring just your sling when hunting Leviathans.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)