Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke! (Read 52856 times)
RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke!
Mar 28th, 2013 at 10:12pm

I made my first 4 today.  I was barefooted with shorts and enjoying a warm spring day.  The first two were from a black locust with a slight bend.  I cut it in half lengthwise with a table saw and wittled it down like an airplane wing.

The second two were made from a rough cut hickory stave that turned out to be bit wormy as it was seasoning.  I threw it out in the yard for the kids to play with over the winter, but alway felt sorry for it (I get a bit sentimental for wood I plan to make into a bow Smiley  )  These were straight limbs I shaped out as a airplane wing.  All 4 were about 28 inches long.

After an hour or so of wittling, I threw them.  WOW!!!  Why did it take me until I was 41 years old to make these and throw these!?!?  To any reading this who has not tried a rabbit stick, try it!!!  I've made bows, atlatls, slings etc.  but for some reason the stick just seemed too simple.  (I feel like a snob now.)  I can't describe the power that these sticks hit with!!!  And accuracy comes a lot quicker than with slinging.  

I will try to post some picks, but photobucket changed their format and I am temporarily flumoxed, but again, if you have never made or thrown a rabbit stick, you're missing out big time.  Don't waste a good portion of your life like I did  Smiley

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke!
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 11:14pm

I know what you mean i could never get mine to fly right i was makeing them backwards

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:22am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:52pm

Cool.  I made one out of red oak.... it was absolutely awesome!
I might try one from something like BL, it is denser...
Thanks for the idea. Anyone here ever done anything with Hawthorne wood? There is a bunch my dad pruned off that I want to do something with.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:08pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:52pm:
Thanks for the idea. Anyone here ever done anything with Hawthorne wood? There is a bunch my dad pruned off that I want to do something with.

I haven't made a hawthorn one, I'm a newb, but I'm going by my axiom on bowyering.   There isn't really a good or bad bow wood, the harder/denser wood makes thinner/flatter bows (or throwing sticks.)  The lighter/softer wood make thicker/wider bows (throwing sticks.)Hawthorne is pretty dense wood, so it would probably work out well as a thin rabbit stick.

To all the experienced rabbit stickers--  If my axiom is flawed, feel free to correct me.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 5:25am

I would like to make one..recently i thought about it.
If i already made "bows" slings,crossbow,javelins,morningstar,etc i gotta try the rabbit stick also.

I had the same feeling when i discovered slinging:all the years until now without slinging..

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 2:00pm

Treat hawthorn as a fruit wood, it's in the apple family.

The deeper the bend in the rabbit stick, the longer range you will have.  Close to 90 degrees will sail around 50 meters+.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 10:15pm

Impressive distance. I am working one of BL.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm

How do they compare to apache throwing star? Or is one considered a subset of the other?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 8:43pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm:
How do they compare to apache throwing star? Or is one considered a subset of the other?

They are more like boomerangs that don't come back.  I gotta figure out how to post my pics  Tongue

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 1:54am

Recently i found a half jaw bone of a cow. (one intact side without much teeth).
It's surprisingly heavy(dense) and hard of course,slightly curved,not very long (max. 1 feet)
I grinded a bit on the mouth end,so it would slip out my hand without bruising it during throwing.
It made a decent throwing "stick" considering it's weight,shape,and that i just found it,and that it took 3 min of pecking and grinding to make the grip comfortable.
It's profile it elongated oval,so it's quite good.

The only con is that it's short.
If i'll find a horse jaw bone,i'll definitely try to throw that.

Just thought i'd share this idea,so if you see some long jaw bones,remember that it could make a rabbit stick.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 9:49pm

What is a 'Rabbit stick'? A previous post read ..."like a boomerang that doesn't come back.", but that is essentially the bulk of all boomerangs used for hunting. The returning boomerangs were for bird hunting mostly, and the usual, heavier, non returning were for bringing down larger game.
Spears with the Woomera reached out to touch game much, much further away and I can attest to the range and effectivness of those!

Mick
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2013 at 2:07am by Mick »  

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 10:59pm

jlasud wrote on Apr 1st, 2013 at 1:54am:
If i'll find a horse jaw bone,i'll definitely try to throw that.

Just thought i'd share this idea,so if you see some long jaw bones,remember that it could make a rabbit stick.

Or you could, you know, kill some Philistines...

Do you think a longer jawbone/stick would get more range, or are you just angling to get it to hit harder?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 11:22pm

Mick wrote on Apr 3rd, 2013 at 9:49pm:
What is a 'Rabbit stick'? A previous post read ..."like a boomerang that doesn't come back"

From an anthropology standpoint, a boomerang is shaped into a symmetric airfoil. A rabbit stick is shaped into anything in between and including a flattened oval and a perfect circle but almost never into an airfoil. Rabbit sticks aren't always curved into an L or S shape, but boomerangs are. When a rabbit stick is curved, it is a gradual sweep down the length of the stick rather than a sharp bend in one location as is typical in boomerangs.

But mostly, a boomerang is from Australia and a rabbit stick is from everywhere else.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 2:27am

I just did an image search after your description, because what you described sounded exactly like a hunting boomerang to me. After viewing images, I found that they look like a cross between light weight hunting boomerangs used by the Aboriginals in my area, and the wooden War swords used by the Tjapukai tribe in the north of my state. Both are bigger and heavier than rabbit sticks, and I suppose that if rabbits are the name of the game, then that stands to reason, as both hunting boomerangs and the Tjapukai sword were designed for large game and war. We didn't have rabbits here 200 years ago.  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)