Send Topic Print
Boat Making (Read 6708 times)
Sasquatchslinger

"Riding through this world
all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Boat Making
Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:35pm

So I want to make a sail boat but I want it to be a primitive boat.

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,& Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,& Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,& One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne & In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.& One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,& One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.&&In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.” J.R.R. Tolkien

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Boat Making
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:20pm

Sasquatchslinger wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:35pm:
So I want to make a sail boat but I want it to be a primitive boat.

Look at the pdracer .... doesn't get any more primitive than that ... think 8 foot by 4 foot sailing box. www.pdracer.com Plans: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/pdr.htm

For a little larger with room for a passenger the pdgoose (derived from the pdracer)
is a 12 foot by 4 foot sailing box http://www.storerboatplans.com/Pdr/pdgoose.html
His plans are good but his OZ Racer is not pdracer class legal

I also like this designer's boats: http://jimsboats.com/
And this one                       : http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/

and stealing a good sig 'Sawdust and Spray'   good luck with your build.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013 at 5:34pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:50pm

Unsafe but cool-
http://www.primitiveways.com/Tule_boat1.html
Really cool and safe and easy to build( i made one:)), but small-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coracle

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:10pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:50pm:

Cool ? the coolness factor is way over "cool"...

Ask Thor Heyerdahl, he crossed the Atlantic on one of those ^^

As for primitive, you could go with an outrigger canoe (well, it sounds cooler in french...) It can be sailed apparently quite easily.
Plus you can imagine yourself navigating between tiny islands in the Pacific.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:31pm

The main reason is I need a Bug Out Boat but dont want to spend the $$   Cool   I havr a cache near were I want the boat stored (have a shed there and its on property that my family owns)

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,& Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,& Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,& One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne & In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.& One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,& One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.&&In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.” J.R.R. Tolkien

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:10pm

While I am happy with your enthusiasm towards sailing boats, I must play the role of the scrupulous adult and warn you that sailing boats are very difficult to pilot.
So while I wish you the best of fun at sea, I must advice you that "primitive" and "safe" are antonyms unless you are very, very, very, veryssimus skilled in sailing.
I don't know how skilled you are but I use to sail often and my advice is to leave primitive boats to experienced skippers, and to use a tiny and cheap, but approved sailing boat. Same fun, more safety.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:26pm

Well than what boat do you suggest.

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:27pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:10pm:
While I am happy with your enthusiasm towards sailing boats, I must play the role of the scrupulous adult and warn you that sailing boats are very difficult to pilot.
So while I wish you the best of fun at sea, I must advice you that "primitive" and "safe" are antonyms unless you are very, very, very, veryssimus skilled in sailing.
I don't know how skilled you are but I use to sail often and my advice is to leave primitive boats to experienced skippers, and to use a tiny and cheap, but approved sailing boat. Same fun, more safety.
Greetings,
Mauro.

God Dangit Mauro always worrying about "saftey" and ruining my fun.  Grin

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 3:16am

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:50pm:
Really cool and safe and easy to build( i made one:)), but small-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coracle

A good yt vid on a coracle (and a good channel, btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2WJeuA_iKY

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 5:02am

Sasquatchslinger wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:31pm:
The main reason is I need a Bug Out Boat but dont want to spend the $$

You do know that piling up stuff for bug out without knowing how to perfectly use them under all kind of stressful situations is useless ?
How many sailing hours have you ? If none, try to get lessons first, it is pretty amazing (I had a few lessons on an "Optimist", on a lake, and it was quite fun ^^ )

Since it's a bug out boat, you will need some storage space, so the coracle may only be for going down the river to the sea... You could try the Langskip, it's a really classy boat, even if not strictly primitive. It is designed for high sea, but can also be used on rivers, even quite small ones.
Of course, you will need some other people to help you man it, but that is better since it means some help to survive and a wider range of survival skills.
On the down side, I don't think you can build it while being cheap.

But again, by the time you have enough sailing experience for surviving North Atlantic weather on a primitive boat, you may have some more money and could afford the materials to build it, even more with the help of the others crewmen.

If you didn't move since your firsts posts here, you could try to ask if the river is ok for small boats training . Do big boats sail on it on a regular basis ? It seems like it's a large enough river for them, so you may have better time to cross the state border and go to Van Sciver Lake, it seems a good place to start Smiley

So, have fun with boat trying, but stay safe, wear a life jacket and be sure to be able to swim (at least 200m without having to stop I would say, butI'm not an expert Smiley ) And don't sail alone, for safety reasons too Smiley

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:31am

Caldou wrote on Mar 28th, 2013 at 5:02am:
Sasquatchslinger wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:31pm:
The main reason is I need a Bug Out Boat but dont want to spend the $$

You do know that piling up stuff for bug out without knowing how to perfectly use them under all kind of stressful situations is useless ?
How many sailing hours have you ? If none, try to get lessons first, it is pretty amazing (I had a few lessons on an "Optimist", on a lake, and it was quite fun ^^ )

Since it's a bug out boat, you will need some storage space, so the coracle may only be for going down the river to the sea... You could try the Langskip, it's a really classy boat, even if not strictly primitive. It is designed for high sea, but can also be used on rivers, even quite small ones.
Of course, you will need some other people to help you man it, but that is better since it means some help to survive and a wider range of survival skills.
On the down side, I don't think you can build it while being cheap.

But again, by the time you have enough sailing experience for surviving North Atlantic weather on a primitive boat, you may have some more money and could afford the materials to build it, even more with the help of the others crewmen.

If you didn't move since your firsts posts here, you could try to ask if the river is ok for small boats training . Do big boats sail on it on a regular basis ? It seems like it's a large enough river for them, so you may have better time to cross the state border and go to Van Sciver Lake, it seems a good place to start Smiley

So, have fun with boat trying, but stay safe, wear a life jacket and be sure to be able to swim (at least 200m without having to stop I would say, butI'm not an expert Smiley ) And don't sail alone, for safety reasons too Smiley

I have about 200 sailing hours.

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:55am

Also this river is the delaware. Big and small boats frequently sail on it.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 7:23am

Sasquy I'm not very expert in tiny sailing boat because I sail big ones, but I think an Optimist is a good choice!
Add navigation lights if you can to increase safety.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:20am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 10:14pm

Since when is a boat a weapon? You can run somebody over, but thats about it.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)