Funny slinging story (Read 2482 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Funny slinging story
Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:39pm

I was walking down the street with my dog Rudi, and I spotted an apple laying in the grass. So it being a day when I was working on a bow, I have my nice 4 inch hunting knife. So I cut the apple in quarters, and percieve i probably should not eat it, due to worms having already done so. so I pull out Donnershalg's apache sling I traded for;)...
Then I load and fire straight up...
It made an impressively loud whipcrack and a kid playing basketball gave me a wierd look. then about 10 seconds later, while he is still staring at me, the apple piece flies straight down and goes 'SPLAT' onto the street. I do it 2 more times with the more solid portions of the apple. then I keep the rotten piece to sling at a tree....
I walk past the kid playing basketball, and am about to cross the street to go home, and I notice the kid is running after me.
Well, he looks like he is in about 6th  grade, so I think... is he mature enough to have and use a sling? I mean,  I know some pretty immature people who like to throw snowballs at people's windows. Some kids might use rocks.
So he catches up with me... and asks how on earth I threw apple pieces so high!!!
and he asks did i shoot them out of a gun? I pull the sling loaded with apple piece out of my left pocket, and he gives me this wierd look and is like, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT???
So I am like its a hand-sling... and he still has that look. THen I *try* to shoot the piece straight up, but it explodes in the pouch, shotgunning rotten apple straight up. I then wipe off sling with sleeve, put sling in my pocket, and proceed to tell him the history, use, and making of a sling. About 5 seconds into my explanation, it started raining apple. Then, he asks if I have a spare sling. I am like I will go get one. I gave him an Aussie made from leather(yes, Aussie, I copied your sling and violated your patent, sorry:P) with paracord cords. I taught him basic apache. I then used byzantine to throw a piece of mud a few hundred feet... 100yards is easy with hard, wet, heavy clay mud.
He looks impressed... and he asks me how I learned. I told him about slinging.org, and then about my obsession with primitive arts. Our discussion turned to archery, and I found out he shoots a *disgracefull* fiberglass compound. He got a turkey and has one wing, and I am making him a bow from an edge-ring maple board to trade for turkey wing. I will then fletch arrows for both of us from that wing.
His bow seems about 20-25 pounds draw... His hunting bow seems closer to 35. Then, I am used to 50-55 pounder stave bows.
He uses carbon arrows...Sad
So I am like, how bout I teach you primitive/traditional arts and you provide me with turkey feathers? A bow is worth a turkey wing, right?
Even if it is 35 pounds draw of maple:D
So THat is the story.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Funny slinging story
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:16am

Excellent job of spreading the word.  You are a good ambassador.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:05am

That's a great story.

IP Logged

monoid

Slinging Really Rocks!

Novosibirsk region, Russia
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:15am

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."  Cool

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:21pm

Good story squirrel, youve converted someone there I would imagine!

Youre lucky where you live someone actually asks you about slinging. I was slinging on the beach yesterday and all I got apart from shocked stares of people who turned back when they saw me was a guy who asked who was I going to wage war against with that "yoke"(colloquialism, means thing). He probably assumed I was getting ready for the next round of anti-austerity protests in Dublin!

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:16pm

We went slinging agian today, for only 30 mins:(
But he can already chuck a golf ball about 150 feet, using Apache, so I think that he has a lot of potential.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 4:25am

Lol niiice. Sounds like the beginning of your own band of merry men Grin

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 5:10am

Such a nice feel when you get people hooked on slinging.then you build your band. The band of slingers ,a whole Hail of slingers.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)