Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The "Belt Braid" (Now with Pictures) (Read 3486 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

The "Belt Braid" (Now with Pictures)
Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:09am

So, to cut to the point, I am not a very profiecient weaver, but I can braid well.
My whole sling making career, it has been a challenge to get a wider pouch in my all-cordage slings.
I use Balearic slings often but now I discovered a 'new to me' braid that allows for much wider pouches. That is the "Belt Braid". Which is really half way between a weave and a braid.

Here's one tutorial but there are a bunch more online you can look at too. http://www.instructables.com/id/Braiding-eight-cords-into-a-flat-braid/

Its pretty simple, just take the outside left cord and weave over and under untill its on the far right side, then do it with the next one. How tight your braid is depends mostly on the polar outside 'weaves'

I figured it out by looking at one of my dress belts and then I tried making a sling with it and it works superbly. I only 2 in sisal now but I'll get some better looking ones and post those soon.
I've used, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 strands thus far and they all work well.

Usually for a simple split pouch you can get the braid about 30-60% wider depending on how many strands you use. This will generally allow for a better hold on the projecticle and I think it looks cooler too.

This trick will let you make split pouch braided slings that can easily be as wide as a Rockman or similar sling without the weaving diffilties or the amount of cordage you use weaving.

Try it out and let me know what you think.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:54am by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: The "Belt Braid"
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:58am

I already used this several times for slings as well as for bracelets. I can't do it as fast as a "normal" braid, as it involves a bit more fumbling.
This "belt braid" is a bit more wiggly than a normal braid, as it is flatter. It is also not as stable and rigid as I like it, both in "lateral" and "longitudinal" bending. It could be a nice idea to enlarge pouches but I wouldn't use it for a release or retention cord, as the performance, from my experience, is worse than the one of a normal braid. But until now I have never made a hybrid with normal and "belt" braid. I never felt the need for wider pouches  Wink.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 11:18am

Yeah, I wouldn't use it for cords either, the same way you wouldn't weave the entire length of a sling the way you make a Rockman. You'd just use a 'normal' braid for the cords, split the cords into to parts and then use the belt braid.

I use rather heavy duty slings and IME the more friction there is with the projectile, the better the hold. I always thought that's why people made Rockmans as opposed to simple braided pouches for the more versatile and easier to load pouch. Its the same way with the belt braid.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 1:47pm

That's what I call finger weaving.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:33pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 1:47pm:
That's what I call finger weaving.

Its pretty simple so I figured some other slingers had used it before, its just new to me.  Smiley

Do you have any pics of slings made with it.

IP Logged

And_Your_Bird_Can_Sling
Tiro

Maryland
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:38pm

I've experimented with this braid before.  I tried making a simple braided split-pouch, using many cords in a round braid for the arms and then transitioning into successively wider "belt braids" before splitting them for the pouch.  The result looked like this:

http://imgur.com/a/Pf50a

As you can see from the first image, the "sling" is a little too short for actual use, but it was an interesting proof of concept.

The second image shows off the cradle, which I think looks pretty nice (and it does its job fairly well), but the transition to round braids (third image) isn't quite symmetric.

The biggest problem I have with it is how many threads it involves.  Each side of the pouch is only a centimeter and a half wide, but it took so many threads that the arms are quite thick and not very flexible.  If I had to do it again, I'd taper the arms to be a bit skinnier toward the release and finger loop.

I hope you find this useful in your own designs!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:32pm

Dan, it is called finger weaving. It's how na made belts, straps etc.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 5:29am

That's called flat plaiting here, and many a belt and horses bridle has been made using it. Even plaited tightly it has some stretch in it. In leather, at least, you give your finished flat plaited item a good rubbing over a bench top corner or some such surface, It smooths and flattens the plait and removes some of that left over stretch. i don't know how well that technique would work with the materials used in sling making though.

Mick

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:58am

Well finger weaving or flat plaiting it is then. It makes pretty great sling pouches.

Andyourbirdcansling's sling/belt looked pretty good and that's pretty much what I was picturing.

I have a couple with sisal but they aren't nearly as pretty. Once I get my hands on some jute I'll post some pics. If you are going for a non-reinforced all cordage split pouch, I think this is a great design. It looks good and holds ammo just as well as many more complex designs.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 3:11pm

Allright, I'm not going to buy jute for awhile so, as promised, here are some pictures of the sling I made from sisal. Keep in mind, even though its a cool design, its still cheap sisal so its not quite as clean as the other natural fiber. The cords are just reverse twisted hemp. Making an entire sisal sling makes a pretty big mess so I just made this like a very short split pouch and then folded over the otherside and sewed/wrapped with artificial sinew it to form another loop. I also sewed the pouch a bit smaller because it was kinda big. You'll see what I mean with the pictures.

Sling

Belly side of the pouch. You can see the width difference between the plait and the braid if you compare the pouch to the braid at the far right side of the pouch before it folds.

And the Back side of the sling.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:14pm

Nice sling, but why won't you buy jute?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:54am

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 28th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Nice sling, but why won't you buy jute?

Thanks. Its because I loath spending money, and I have a ridculous amount of other things that I need to buy for other activites and every bit of money saved can go towards something else.

I really like Jute still though.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)