Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
FUNDA BALL! (Read 49749 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Re: FUNDA BALL!
Reply #90 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 6:14pm

Racket balls are to hard and will probably hurt, the foam golf balls work but they just don't have enough weight to go anywhere. I've tryed a lot of stuff.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #91 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 9:02pm

Hmmmm. Well gonna  have  to keep at it, we gotta find ssomething.  I think the issue  is finding  something  with  the correct  range we need.  I believe  that Size of the field  is too big then.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #92 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 10:39pm

Yeah, what is was think was just to take basic dodgeball and use the foam balls that I have and just play dodgeball with slings, it's easy to learn, safe, fun and competitive. Sound like the perfect sport to me. Thoughts?  Huh

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #93 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 5:38pm

I like  the idea of playing just regular  dodgeball,  but the whole concept  and thought out process of the 'Funda ball' is  greatly ideal. The only thing. I would change  is the size  of  the field, since all the safe ammo doesn't  have  the range.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #94 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:50pm

Yep, agreed.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #95 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 8:50pm

I actually thought about raquetballs and gave them a whirl (so to speak).  The problem with the raquetballs is that the rubber that they are made of has a very high surface friction, which makes for a great game of raquetteball, but makes for a not-so-great sling ammo.  They can really grab the pouch, curve and have a release learning curve.

Yeah, ya'll might be right about the dimensions of the field though.  Might have to walk a field off at the park or something to get a better idea about what a better size might be...

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #96 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 9:07pm

What about cutting  the size of the field  in 1/2?? Would also give a more high speed game,  like dodgeball.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #97 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:18am

vetryan15 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 9:07pm:
What about cutting  the size of the field  in 1/2?? Would also give a more high speed game,  like dodgeball.

Well, nothing is set in stone of course, but I really feel like the field dimensions are appropriate.  I think that the main problem is going to continue to be the ammunition.   We've gotta have something that is soft, retains it's shape (for accuracy), and sufficiently heavy. 
       I had an idea to wrap some PVC insulating foam around a silicone core but I haven't been able to try it out just yet.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #98 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:12am

I know this thread is old, and outdated. But I think this deserves a sticky. Especially with the new members we get all the time here. It's one of those forgotten great ideas here. I was just thinking about it recently. Since I have the land, maybe I can start doing more work on field size.  I have a few neighbors that would be interested in playing this and getting it off the ground.
I looked into it a couple years back.  Think special helmets and some sort of padding would suffice.  Almost like professional paintball team uniforms that are used for speedball.  I will take some more research over the winter when I am coupled up in my tiny home

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

Slinging: Getting the
most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #99 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:29am

Just a side note, I have been slinging racquet balls without a problem with a leather sling. If you sling it hard though, you definitely do not want to be in its path without some kind of protection. I am not sure how easy it would be to sling while wearing padding. Wouldn’t it limit your range of movement?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #100 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:00pm

Haven't u seen the padded uniforms of paintball players? Lots of range of movement. Personally I wouldn't use racquet balls. Way to hard,  but them again a lot softer then baseball's.

IP Logged

RockerSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #101 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:21am

Why not have different ammo for close and far slinging? Tennis balls thrown from slingers at the back should slow down enough in their arc that they wouldn’t be bad. Slingers up close can use foam balls.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #102 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:57am

RockerSlinger wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:21am:
Why not have different ammo for close and far slinging? Tennis balls thrown from slingers at the back should slow down enough in their arc that they wouldn’t be bad. Slingers up close can use foam balls.

That would need another set of strict rules for it. That only certain players could use which type, and the referees would probably have a hard time looking for it, unless you added more referees to the field,  which in my opinion, would make the fields, during play look cluttered and unorganized.  Plus more chances of a referee getting in the way, and getting hit. I spent some time years ago, as a paintball referee. Those things do happen.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #103 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 12:19am

Can't remember if I mentioned this before - would it be possible to play "capture the flag" w/ slings?  Maybe use large foam balls for ammo.  In the summer, you could soak the foam balls in water.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #104 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 5:45pm

I like the idea of making this sticky..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger)