Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A walk in the park (Read 3091 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

A walk in the park
Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:03pm

I'm in the park, with kids, and my oldest friend. We chat as we walk. He remembers something from a long time ago. "Do you still shoot with the sling ?" I pull out a small braided and woven number. "Are you any good with it now ?". I pick up a chestnut, push my left foot forward and my right arm far back. My left arm points out: "See that tree ?" Three light spins above the head, the release follows almost casually, the chestnut hits the trunk squarely. "Oh well", he utters. I'm actually surprised, and I know it's the only time I'm going to pull that shot off, all year-- at least.

IP Logged

GeneralMushroom
Descens

What I lack in feet, I
make up for in inches

England
Re: A walk in the park
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:05pm

Ha, that's awesome dude Smiley

Matt, 21. Engineering undergrad, enjoys slinging!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Thearos wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:03pm:
I'm in the park, with kids, and my oldest friend. We chat as we walk. He remembers something from a long time ago. "Do you still shoot with the sling ?" I pull out a small braided and woven number. "Are you any good with it now ?". I pick up a chestnut, push my left foot forward and my right arm far back. My left arm points out: "See that tree ?" Three light spins above the head, the release follows almost casually, the chestnut hits the trunk squarely. "Oh well", he utters. I'm actually surprised, and I know it's the only time I'm going to pull that shot off, all year-- at least.  

I do the same. Sometimes, people ask me-"What the heck is that? Some new kind of paracord bracelet?" when I am slinging while playing frisbee golf, and then I load a nice, smooth rock, and am like, look at that tree over there- I NEVER say which tree.....- and I will hit it!
Then I sling.. and it hits a random tree 100m away. and they are like, NICE. Funny thing is, if I picked a tree my stone would not go within 20 feet of it.
-Squirrel
Dan, would practice give you scoped-rifle accuracy?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 5:50am

Needless to say, the tree was 8 paces away

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:48am

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm:
Thearos wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 6:03pm:

Dan, would practice give you scoped-rifle accuracy?

Very cool Theoros.

SS, If you are using a scoped rifle, yes.  Smiley

If you are using a sling, no. There's a vid of Livermore taking out glass coke bottles consectively and a couple from Yurek where he gets some pretty great shots with tennis balls. In addition to variation in ammunition the human body just gives too many variables. If you are holding a heavy rifle tightly as you should, the only non eviormental variable on your part is the tip of your trigger finger and if you jerk the trigger or slowly squeze. Its a much smaller motion than making the large swings as you do with a sling. And while the human mind can do some amzing instinctive caluclations on estimating distance, adjusting powet, release angle, and arcing in the shot, it can't beat the flat trajectory of a rifle.

However, practicing with a sling will give you much better accuracy than if you didn't practice  Smiley.

I also think its possible for a sling to be near on par with a primitive bow accuracy wise, but that is for another discussion.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:36pm

LOL, I recall a thread like this, where someone said they hit a small fishing bobber about 200feet or so away with a slingstone from a boat.
Dan, with luck, a sling is as accurate as a scoped rifle Cheesy
NOT....
my accuracy- you are only in danger if you are within 3-5 feet of me, as i can club you with a loaded sling  Shocked
or whip with the release cord-it HURTS Shocked
If you are more than 5 feet away from me, you are fairly safe.... my accuracy sucks.  I will try to find that thread..

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:41pm

Seriously impressive, Thearos! Just doing that once is a major feat.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:27pm

Such things don`t happen often but it is seriously cool if you hit when it counts.  It has happened to me as well, and it feels good.

As for accuracy I guess there can be some overlap between a mediocre archerusing traditional gear (or maybe someone with a smoothbore musket) , and a good dedicated slinger.  But a scoped rifle, or modern compound bow, I don`t think they can compare at all.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:24pm

Nice  Cool

IP Logged

teenageslinger

Michigander Slinger

Michigan, United States
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:32pm

Yeah there are just those shots that you can tell where hits before you even release it. Can't explain it, sometimes they just feel right

He holds success in store for the upright,&&    he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,&&Proverbs 2:7

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:53pm

You called the shot and then you made it.  I don't see a problem.  I think you did rather good, actually.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:40am

yep, what bill said Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)