Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gay Boy Scout Denied Eagle Rank (Read 7377 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Gay Boy Scout Denied Eagle Rank
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 5:15pm

Pretty much what GM said.

Keep in mind, he was over 18, That's a no-go.

The only thing anyone should be angry about is how much the media twists information to promote their own agendas.

Luke, GM isn't talking about Catholism. The Bible says that your good works, without righteousness, are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6 and a few other verses). And confessing to some dude in a closet is not the same as confessing to God. Jesus Christ was the mediator between God and Man. Now that the veil has been torn, we each have a straight line to God through prayer. Not through a priest.
And Confession without Repentance is pointless. There is no amount of good works that will get you into heaven. The Bible pretty clearly states, Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life, and no one comes to the Father, except through him.
And Ephsians 2:8-10 8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 6:29am

Other organizations are just as exclusionary as Scouts. The Fraternal Order of the Eagles, whom my father and cousins  belonged to, don't allow black people in.
BSA is losing millions in endorsements from their policies, and may change this policy soon.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:01pm

Dan wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 5:15pm:
And confessing to some dude in a closet is not the same as confessing to God. Jesus Christ was the mediator between God and Man. Now that the veil has been torn, we each have a straight line to God through prayer. Not through a priest.

I believe the original request was to keep respectful. It seems to have turned into a Catholic-bashing thread by some members and as a Catholic myself, is frankly one of the recurring themes I really don't like about this forum, re: those that study the Bible are somehow true Christians, whereas other denominations are lesser and imperfect, not to mention other religions. IMO this comes across as being rather arrogant and certainly not respectful. Catholics believe that an ordained priest acts as an intermediary getween them and God through the sacrament of confession. And no, it isn't necessarily a "get out of jail free card", by "spending five minutes in a closet with some dude". You have to mean it and it's not something to be taken lightly.

You might not believe, like nor understand what others believe but ridiculing them isn't particularly attractive either. I don't much care if others here are Hindu, Sikh, Moselms or other types of Christians. I see no need to raise myself at their expense. It would be nice if others here did the same.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:08pm

snowcelt wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:01pm:
Dan wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 5:15pm:
And confessing to some dude in a closet is not the same as confessing to God. Jesus Christ was the mediator between God and Man. Now that the veil has been torn, we each have a straight line to God through prayer. Not through a priest.

I believe the original request was to keep respectful. It seems to have turned into a Catholic-bashing thread by some members and as a Catholic myself, is frankly one of the recurring themes I really don't like about this forum, re: those that study the Bible are somehow true Christians, whereas other denominations are lesser and imperfect, not to mention other religions. IMO this comes across as being rather arrogant and certainly not respectful. Catholics believe that an ordained priest acts as an intermediary getween them and God through the sacrament of confession. And no, it isn't necessarily a "get out of jail free card", by "spending five minutes in a closet with some dude". You have to mean it and it's not something to be taken lightly.

You might not believe, like nor understand what others believe but ridiculing them isn't particularly attractive either. I don't much care if others here are Hindu, Sikh, Moselms or other types of Christians. I see no need to raise myself at their expense. It would be nice if others here did the same.

Well said, snowcelt.  I'm sure we can make our points without crapping all over someone else's religion.  Once again, please keep it respectful.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:20pm

Sorry guys. PM sent to snow celt.

Its really not about me, its about Christ.

As the Bible says "While we (including myself) were yet Sinners, Christ died for us."

I really didn't mean to come off as arrogant but sometimes I forget to temper my zeal with wisdom and my words can come out as self righteous. Still not a fan of Catholism, nor do I agree with its theology, nor do I really respect it, but I don't want to come off as pompus or serriously offensive.

I'll try to choose my words more carefully next time.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:44pm

Dan, I do not think you truly understand Catholicism. It's like concluding that Christians are devil worshipping sadists because they use the Roman torture device that killed the messiah as their insignia. You're missing a lot by being on the outside looking in and not asking questions.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:45pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:44pm:
Dan, I do not think you truly understand Catholicism. It's like concluding that Christians are devil worshipping sadists because they use the Roman torture device that killed the messiah as their insignia. You're missing a lot by being on the outside looking in and not asking questions.

My grandmother is very catholic and both of my parents were Catholic into their early 30's. I've had a few Bible classes where we review Catholism. That's why I know i disagree with most of its theological view points. I understand it farily well though probably not as well as some Catholics.

Sometimes I oversimplify things when I'm in a hurry to post or if I want to make a point. Sorry if that makes what I say opaque or offensive.

I felt I buried the hatchet pretty well in my earlier post.

This thread is really about Boy Scout's decision more than Catholic Theology. If its cool with you, it'd probably be better to cover this in PM or in a different thread.  Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #22 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:45pm

The last time I checked, Christianity was not a requirement to be a Boy Scout. Boy Scouting is a world wide organization with members of almost every religious belief.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:07pm

bigkahuna wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 2:45pm:
The last time I checked, Christianity was not a requirement to be a Boy Scout. Boy Scouting is a world wide organization with members of almost every religious belief.

The Boy Scouts of America is a separate organization from the World Scouting Movement. Christianity is not a requirement of BSA, but they call themselves "faith based." It doesn't matter what you believe, only that you believe. Their prohibition against gay member is separate from their faith requirement.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:03pm

Dan wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 1:45pm:
Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 12:44pm:

My grandmother is very catholic and both of my parents were Catholic into their early 30's. I've had a few Bible classes where we review Catholism. That's why I know i disagree with most of its theological view points. I understand it farily well though probably not as well as some Catholics.

Let's not forget that you had Bible classes. What was the slant of those Bible classes? Protestant? Baptist? Calvin? You're learning about Catholicism from a certain viewpoint, just as if you took classes about Catholicism in a Hindu Religion class, or Koran class, etc.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 1:49am

Depends how you interperate "through him".  Through him could easily be seen as meaning by his teachings, the term of god is just a face put to an ideal, people won't believe in an idea but they will follow a person!  "do not covet they neighbors wife!" "interesting, who said that?" "dunno, just heard it somewhere!"     "Do not covet thy neighbors wife!" "Who said that?"  " The son of god, Jesus, told me!"  Now he listens.
  I have always thought of the bible as simply one big metaphor rooted loosely in fact.  Everything there is meant to teach you a path to follow and it doesn't matter whether any of it is true as long as it helps you and others.  The entire thing can be interperated hundreds of different ways, much like the Muslim faith is being distorted to fuel terrorism, and in the end there is no right way to understand it, just believe in the message.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:58am

Very well put, Luke, at least in my opinion.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:23am

Quote:
The Bible says that your good works, without righteousness, are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6 and a few other verses).

All I can say is that I'd rather have a filthy rag through genuine kindness than do a kind deed because I feel I should - whether I want to or not.

When I help someone - I do so because I want to and because it's what i feel is the right thing to do, not because someone told me I have to.

That is some twisted interpretation of kindness Dan.

Anyway, lets try and keep this fairly civil.

I'd have thought the discussion would have been better centred around why you would ban a homosexual when you're really trying to keep out paedophiles. Who most often aren't homosexuals.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:45am

GeneralMushroom wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:57pm:
Well for starters:

Quote:
John Fenoglio, Scout executive for the Mount Diablo-Silverado Boy Scout Council, said the Eagle rank application from Ryan Andresen of Moraga, California, wasn't approved because of "membership standards," specifically "duty to God, avowed homosexuality, and the fact that he is now over 18 years of age."

And

Quote:
"The Eagle application was forwarded, by a volunteer, to the local council but it was not approved because this young man proactively stated that he does not agree to Scouting's principle of 'Duty to God' and does not meet Scouting's membership requirements," Smith said. "Therefore, he is not eligible to receive the rank of Eagle."

It was apparently due to these 3 reasons, not just because he was "gay". The simple fact the news focused on that 1 aspect is evidence enough that they are looking to aggravate the situation.

Think that pretty much nails it.
Regardless of religious or sexual preferences - he was simply not eligible through age - end of story.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:03am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:23am:
Quote:
The Bible says that your good works, without righteousness, are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6 and a few other verses).

All I can say is that I'd rather have a filthy rag through genuine kindness than do a kind deed because I feel I should - whether I want to or not.
When I help someone - I do so because I want to and because it's what i feel is the right thing to do, not because someone told me I have to.
That is some twisted interpretation of kindness Dan.
Anyway, lets try and keep this fairly civil. 

As with everything, It helps to have some context. What its saying is that when you are standing before God taking account for what you've done, if you haven't accepted Jesus Christ, those good works mean nothing. We were born into Sin, that alone is enough to keep us out of heaven.
Another way of saying it is no man can 'earn' his way into heaven. Hence later, Ephsians 2:8-9.

I'll send a PM to Luke since CA, just about wrapped this up.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)