Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Water Bottle Carrier
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:08am

Nice.  Okay, how did you make that.  Is there any obscure net-making tricks I don`t know yet Wink

Edit:  Followed the previous links and found tubular nets.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:20pm by timann »  

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:19pm

How to make a tubular net with a neat end?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:25pm

No secret at all.  
I do not have a step by step tutorial  but here is how I made the net.
I used the grommet start  http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about1715.html  adjusted to fit my water bottle. I used a 1' wide gauge.  I made 7 loops which with the drop knot made 8 loops (meshes) around.
I tied 12 rows which was sufficient to cover my water bottle.
To make the handle I started tying again but only tied into the first 3 meshes (leaving 4)
After 7 rows I finished it the same way I finished the modification to the net bag discussed here http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1360798615/all-0  step #4.

The final knot was tied into the bag rather than into the handle as shown in the example. Obviously tie into only one mesh at a time when tying into the body of the net.

Works well for my cell phone as well

There are over a dozen net making related topics discussed here
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7  You might want to tr the chain start (under instructions) for tubular netting and try one of the many ways listed to finish a net.  Cheeers, Tony
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 5:52pm by asemery »  

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:07pm

You have one dinosaur of a cell phone, but I am one to talk. I have no love for modern stuff, except computers and the internet. And paracord, etc.
Oh, and thanks for the tutorials, I love them. Site is now one of my bookmarks.
My cell phone- super cheap old thing, but dependable and useful. Its a flip-phone. I like it.
It is missing most of the keypad, I just press the keypad domes after licking me fingers. works good.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:26pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:07pm:
You have one dinosaur of a cell phone, but I am one to talk. I have no love for modern stuff, except computers and the internet. And paracord, etc.

I bought my cell phone in 1999 and have no reason to replace it.  I use it for long distance calling and it has come in handy in while travelling (I miss pay phones).  I agreee with your assessment of modern stuff.  Glad you like the tutorials and the website.  Tony

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:15pm

Unless something breaks, do not replace it. If you don't need something new, dont buy it! I find it funny how modern society is- "hey, its new, I need it cause it will make me cool!"
Ya, no offense to anyone here. Just saying somehting.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:39pm

Asemery, and other experienced net-makers: sometimes as my net advances, my rows get a little wonky. What is the best way to bring them back into line? I really don't want to undo the net a row or two when I'm 23 meshes wide.
The best I could figure was to run the mesh gauge on the new row so the longest loop would knot up like normal and the rest of the short loops would knot up a little shy of the gauge. At least that way the loops in that row would end in an even line.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 12:05am

Arcane Tinker wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:39pm:
The best I could figure was to run the mesh gauge on the new row so the longest loop would knot up like normal and the rest of the short loops would knot up a little shy of the gauge. At least that way the loops in that row would end in an even line.

That is a good way to get the meshes back in line.  To prevent further problems

Hold the gauge 90 degrees to the net
If you are using a foundation cord make sure the first row doesn't bunch up on the cord.  This could cause a slight angle to the net resulting on uneven rows.

Here are a few hints to help the beginning Net maker:
1.  MAINTAIN THE PINCH.  Pinch the 2 legs of the previous loop and the Working End between your thumb and forefinger against the top of the gauge.  This prevents the working end from slipping back.
2.  When you make a sheet bend, you are first forming a half hitch around the 2 strands of the loop you are tying into.  As you tighten draw the knot to the right instead of down to take out the slack.  As you see the half hitch form on the 2 legs gradually ease it down to your thumb and forefinger.  Do not release your pinch until the half hitch is locked into place, forming the sheet bend.
3. Keep pulling back to maintain some tension in the work.
4.  The most common mistake a novice makes is letting the half hitch form below the loop being tied into.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 10:49am

I chose the chain start, which I found on the pineapple-forum.  My first attempt soon revealed itself, even if I did my best to pay attention, as a  Möbius-strip ( Cheesy).
I untied it and soon got correct start.  I`ll continue later today.

As I have so far worked with thin fuzzy flax I have learned to pay attention to the sheet bends, I want no incorrect knots on my nets Smiley

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:22am

thanks for this. i've been doing a lot of gourd canteens lately and my netting is in desperate need of some improvement i think.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 2:16pm

Paleoarts wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:22am:
thanks for this. i've been doing...

Yeah .... you're pullin' those knots so tight ya can't see'em any more.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 3:01pm

Paleoarts, are those nets made by reverse twisting, or what?
Great gourd canteens.  I imagine the invention of carrying along water in such containers was a major step toward becoming modern humans, maybe to some degree comparable to smashing stones to make sharp shards, or using fire.

PS My bottle carrier seem to come along nicely.  I wonder how other net makers handle the gauge.  In the beginning it slipped to the floor between each sheet bend, not all that fun, and I soon tied a  neck lanyard to it, a solution that seem to work just fine.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:18am

timann wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 3:01pm:

PS ...  I wonder how other net makers handle the gauge....

Saw a video of a person making crab nets and for the base rows he used his fingers as a gauge...
then went on to use a netting fixture that had a stationary pin and a movable pin to set the gauge.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:27am

I realized that I have the "pinch of death" on my gauge. After half an hour of net making, my gauge forearm feels like a block of wood and the muscle at the base of my thumb is all engorged and scary looking.  I can probably let up a little bit.

What I really need to do is completely switch hands with every row.  (Instead of flipping the net and always working right to left, leave the net alone and work right to left, then left to right with the gauge in the opposite hand)

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)