My sling is dying. (Read 6467 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
My sling is dying.
Feb 18th, 2013 at 2:49pm

This is it, after 2+ years of faithful, even if occasional, service... after having thrown rocks under the snow, under the rain and against the strongest wind... after having thrown rocks from the walls of a Medieval castle... after having taken a bath in the sea last March... and after having been used as a leash for my beloved dog... my sling is giving up  Sad
It's a simple sling, two strings and a pouch, all leather, and served me well.
I went slinging today and it was raining, and after some dozens of throwings I noticed that either the strings and the pouch were abundantly wet. They were losing their sturdiness so I gave up slinging.
She's now drying in my cellar.
Do you think it's time for her to retire?
By the way she gave me a big satisfaction today - we hit an iron bar, placed at 10 paces. Simple? Well the bar is like 4 inches wide, and from a distance of 10 paces it was like aiming at a candle. My best throw so far  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: My sling is dying.
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 3:07pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 2:49pm:
... my sling is giving up  Sad
... Mauro.

Condolences on your loss.  Cry

Definitely retire the sling before someone is inadvertently injured.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 3:58pm

Don't you have a replacement sling?  Roll Eyes

If it is a sling which has traveled with you a lot and which you hold in high esteem I would put it away as long as you can still shoot it. Especially if repairing it is no option. This way you can take it out of the drawer once or twice a year, give it a swing and enjoy the old memories and then put it away again or hang it on the chimney.

I have an old crocheted sling, one of my first ones. Now it is about 6 or more years old. It is actually slightly cupped. I have no idea how I managed to achieve this. I can't do it anymore, I simply forgot the knowledge. Nowadays it is in such a bad condition that there is no way of repairing nor shooting it. It is in a box together with some prototypes and everytime I rummage through this box and I get this piece of crochet into my hands, I desperately want to shoot one single shot with it. But there is no way to do this without completely destroying the sling. Cry

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 6:04pm

Yes I have many other slings but since they come from Slinging.org members they're just too valuable to use and wear them  Grin
Teg the dying sling is the scrappy one you saw, in dark leather.
I will make another one this week, she'll be shorter, with a different pouch.
And my very first one will end her life as part of my Picenian hypothetical slinger's outfit  Cheesy
Greetings, and thanks for the condolences...
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:21pm

Gosh mauro. you only have 1 SLING???? I have >100, I would be more than happy to send you a few.
I have every type of sling that I have seen on this website, except a few that there are no tutorials for(some crazy slings, e.g wovens).I mostly make rocklarics...
I am thinking of making a crocheted jute slinging pouch, it will probably take up me 500 yard+ store of jute.
I keep massive stores of cordage in case the store near my house runs out. Its so cheap, I do not see a reason not to.

-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Brett
Descens

St Louis
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Hmm...  Interesting question - what is the proper way to dispose of a sling.

Flags, of course, are burned (unless polyester).  It is a sign of respect.

While not at the same level, it seems slings also deserve some respect.  Might I suggest the following:

1) wait till the next SITH and include it as a bonus sling.  While not usable, the sling would still work admirably as an example of the style it is made in and could be informative to the next slinger - providing a final service. This would be particularly good for complex slings llike Tut slings or slings with interesting or advanced braiding. 

2) Take a very small part of the old sling and put in in a new sling (include some of the fibers or something).  In this way the sling continues to live on.  I think I may actually do this...

3) Save it and have it placed at your side when buried.  I probably won't do that.

4) Place it in a tiny painstakingly handcrafted replica Viking longboat and set it on fire as it sails majestically into the calm moonlit sea.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 8:49pm

Bronze it!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:35pm

I will probably keep my old slings, and fluff them up into loose fibre. once I get enough, I will make a new sling from that fibre.
That sling will be worth of respect!
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 3:20am

Get a really big shadow box and make a "retirement home" for them..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:13am

My most dear friends, thank you for your concern.
This morning I went to the cellar, opened my rucksack and grabbed my old sling. She looked tired, but not beaten yet.
So I hang her on a plank above my working bench and under her protective eyes I created her successor:

She's huge and very sturdy, as I've used first quality thick cow leather and doubled seam with waxed wire.
I built her this way because I want to begin slinging tennis balls and my old one was too tiny to hold them.
Hopefully this new sling will follow her ancestor's path and find glory on the way.

Squirrel, I don't have only 1 sling. I have many others but they're too precious for me, because they're gifts from people here and I don't want to destroy them. I tend to use my slings (and the rest of my equipment) in a very wild way...

Timu, that's a shining idea, but I doubt my sling would survive the tratment  Grin
LS, I think I'll follow your suggestion......... even if Brett's suggestions are all excellent and they really impressed me!
Man you had some very good ideas, especially #4 (but #2 was cool too!).
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 2:40am

Yep..  It's my plan to do as well..  When one of my boys or girls are about to give up the ghost that is..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

chucker-mike

Slinging Rocks!  Indeed.

SW Pennsylvania
Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:00am

I love the idea of a mini viking funeral.  You could include a monopoly gamepiece dog to complete the scene.

"Rough is the road that leads to the heights of greatness."--Seneca

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 1:31pm

Guys, the sling I made some days ago was totally useless. Sturdy as hell, but useless.
I have made a new one today and I hit a pole at 20 paces 8 times in 30 minutes  Shocked
Will post pictures soon but now I know THAT is a worthy heir of my old sling!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 2:55am

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 1:31pm:
Guys, the sling I made some days ago was totally useless. Sturdy as hell, but useless.
I have made a new one today and I hit a pole at 20 paces 8 times in 30 minutes  Shocked
Will post pictures soon but now I know THAT is a worthy heir of my old sling!
Greetings,
Mauro.

What?!  And the new one looked so...Beefy..  LOL.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 5:42am

Ahahahah yes she was sturdy for sure! But she didn't shoot well, the design was totally wrong.
I tried to do something new and I was wrong, so I picked an old design and made this one:

This is one hell of a sling, not sturdier than my first one, but very accurate and fast.
If the old one was better at long distances, this grants crack shots at short ones, that pole is still vibrating  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick)