Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch (Read 20287 times)
HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch
Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:49pm

The tut sling looks really cool from the fine specimen displayed by Blackfur. I have tons of experience using the Balearic sling but zero experience with with the tut sling. My question is ; What are the pros and cons from someone that has used a tut sling in terms of holding different sizes of rocks compared to the balaeric sling pouch? Also in terms of release of the stone? .. And any other differences anyone has noticed? I'd really like to know as I'm tempted to start making some tut slings for my customers as the detail involved is impressive, especially to my average customer. Any feedback from experienced people who've thrown with both would be greatly valued !

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 10:11pm

Personally, I hate the balaric AND the tut. no offense anybody..

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 11:19pm

Lol. None taken sir.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:27am

Balearics are usually geared towards large stones, Tut's are usually geared towards smaller stones.

I'm a balearic fan, always will be. I like the weight, look, and feel. I have also recieved a tut sling recently which I like. I've always liked the look of the tuts too. However, most of my slinging is done with larger rocks and tennis balls. So unless its a "war tut" I'll probably stick with my balearic most of the time,

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:34am

Dan wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:27am:
Balearics are usually geared towards large stones, Tut's are usually geared towards smaller stones.

I'm a balearic fan, always will be. I like the weight, look, and feel. I have also recieved a tut sling recently which I like. I've always liked the look of the tuts too. However, most of my slinging is done with larger rocks and tennis balls. So unless its a "war tut" I'll probably stick with my balearic most of the time,

I totally know where you are coming from when you say you like the weight and feel of the balearic. And I see what you mean by saying tuts throw smaller stones generally. What if someone made a very large tut pouch. Can this be done?

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:40am

there is this thing called leather.
Anyway, I am sure it can be done. but it would take a massive amount of cordage.
I personally like the rockman and rocklaric, both sort of a cross between a solid pouch and a stranded pouch. Balarics have this annoying"rocks fall out of this thing" problem... I find the tut a little small pouched, good for throwing lead, but not much else.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:15am

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:40am:
Anyway, I am sure it can be done. but it would take a massive amount of cordage.
I personally like the rockman and rocklaric, both sort of a cross between a solid pouch and a stranded pouch. Balarics have this annoying"rocks fall out of this thing" problem... I find the tut a little small pouched, good for throwing lead, but not much else.
-Squirrel

It's alright I'm willing to use lots of material. Just bought 33 spools of 1/16 th inch thick sporting cord, 100 ft each for around $160 total. All different colors and patterns purchased online a few days ago. By the way can't wait for it to arrive ^^

In terms of the rocks falling out I have 100% solved that problem and I never lose a rock. I could convert you squirrel to love the balearic. Its all about helping out the next guy and I'd love to give one to you because i think you would really appreciate it. Just pm me bro if you're interested.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:35am

Really? I have had problems since I started slinging.
My first balaric was actually decent braiding. i tried it and I was like OS! I nailed my neighbors barn with the stone cause it fell out.
I was done with the thing. I use helicopter to throw, sidarm and overhand to throw for accuracy.

-Squirrel

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 2:05pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:34am:
Dan wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:27am:

I totally know where you are coming from when you say you like the weight and feel of the balearic. And I see what you mean by saying tuts throw smaller stones generally. What if someone made a very large tut pouch. Can this be done?

Yeah, there are a few Tuts out there that have been made from gutted paracord that were bigger than average. Its definitely possible, but it'd be more difficult.

I've used balaeric slings almost exclusivly for the past year (and I sling almost every day) and I can count on one hand the amount of stones that have slipped out. All styles, lots of different sizes of rocks.

Its sounds like you probably have enough cordage for both  Wink  Post pics and let us know how they work out  Smiley

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 6:25pm

Dan wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Yeah, there are a few Tuts out there that have been made from gutted paracord that were bigger than average. Its definitely possible, but it'd be more difficult.

I've used balaeric slings almost exclusivly for the past year (and I sling almost every day) and I can count on one hand the amount of stones that have slipped out. All styles, lots of different sizes of rocks.

Its sounds like you probably have enough cordage for both  Wink  Post pics and let us know how they work out  Smiley

It sounds like you make the balaeric sling quite well. I'd love to see some pics unless they are already somewhere on the forum. What material of cord do you use? .. I always am curious if its successful. Also how wide is your pouch from end to end? I've found a 5.25 inch pouch is quite useful for holding very large rocks and if you weave the two sides of the pouch so they fit close together naturally it can hold much smaller rocks as well.

I will for sure post pics in the next couple of days. Im in the Charlotte NC airport right now just waiting to go home to Portland ^^

Here is where I purchase all my utility cord.

http://www.atwoodrope.net/product-list.php?asc_action=Paginator_SetRowsPerPage/p...

It's also a direct link to the page of 1/16th inch utility cord colors. I bought them ALL Smiley

I also buy the much thinner para cord to weave in my leather for the finger hole and some pouches.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:16pm

Wow. you bought ALL of those?????
You spent 160$ on cordage you may never use?????
I spend around $2 for 1/16 cordage approx 200'  Here is the catch- its jute, and I braid it myself.
you can spend around $10 for a 500' spool of paracord somewhere,I forget where. I bought some years ago for making bracelets for a boy-scout project.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:25pm

Here's my most used balearic sling, I've posted it several times. Its definitly my favorite sling. I've learned a lot since my last natural fiber balaeric sling, its about time to make another. I can't weave very well so the Balearic sling fits the bill perfectly.
I've got a few jute and sisal slings but I just used a 5 strand braid. These next ones I'll probably use smaller strands and use a 7 or 9 strand. (same as 5 but with more cords  Smiley )

And here are some of my earlier sisal Balearics.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 1:33am

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:16pm:
Wow. you bought ALL of those?????
You spent 160$ on cordage you may never use?????
I spend around $2 for 1/16 cordage approx 200'  Here is the catch- its jute, and I braid it myself.
you can spend around $10 for a 500' spool of paracord somewhere,I forget where. I bought some years ago for making bracelets for a boy-scout project.

I have a business with many customers mate. And it's not paracord but if u know cheaper let me know! Smiley

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 2:49am

In a way, it depends more on where your preferences lie. Aside from 3 Balearic slings I've made, I own two Tut slings: one I made with a cup as deep as the one seen in Timothy Potter's tutorial, and one that I got in a SITH from Hubert (Which had so little cupping, it was more like a Lahun than a Tut.)
Personally, I don't like "solid" pouches with a deep cup; my release always fumbles and ends up significantly late. Oddly enough, this has never been a problem with split pouches. Tongue
While mine ended up doomed to the shelf halfway through it's first session, Hubert's is amazing and is an incredibly responsive plinker that can easily handle 4-6 oz rocks and would be especially nice for glandes and manufactured ammo. Definitely a fave.
When made uber thick like the originals, the Balearic slings seem to thrive on oblong/irregular ammo ranging from 4 oz to half a pound. (Which in all fairness, the upper portion of that is above my preferred range due to the strain they put on my arm.)

So basically it depends more on what you prefer: one is better for smaller ammo--such as glandes--and could care less what the shape is, or how smooth it is. The other is better-suited for larger oblong/irregular ammo such as natural rocks.
In their traditional forms, it all comes down to your preferred choice in ammo. Smiley

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:40am:
-Squirrel

I still have no idea what you mean by "Rocklearic". Could you describe it in more detail? Because the defining difference is essentially the pouch, so how can they be both at the same time? Huh

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:56am

@ Dan : those look really really nice. I really like the sisal and how it looks tough as nails but resembles if not looks exactly the same as those made and used on the Balearic Islands by the champs. I'm curious though how the release cord with your sisal models hold up to wear from the rocks rubbing when released. They don't look too frayed even though they don't have the leather protectant seen on the slings made in the Mediterranean. Is the sisal that tough or have they just not been used extensively yet? Also is there any maintenance needed for upkeep? Ie I've experimented with running Shea butter on my twine slings to add durability to exposure or use. Do you or have you tried something like that? I've had mixed results.. Thanks for sharing!

@ Donnerschlag: I do like the feel of throwing much heavier rocks which I guess, as you alluded to, is why I prefer the balearic sling type. I think I'm still going to try a giant tut sling and post the results, if nothing else but for posterity purposes. I'm also thinking of trying to make a balearic style, however instead of the two pouch sides, there will also be one shallower pouch of the same thickness in the center. I saw this on the link someone posted of a balearic craftsman selling them online. It was hard to see but there are several just like I describe on giant pile of regular balearic slings. Here is the link. Look at the main picture of a bunch of slings and you will notice several with a pouch with three separate sections of pouch.

Here: http://www.mallorcashop.net/slings/169-sling-honda-fona-schleuder-mallorca.html

Originally found by forum member okieslinger. Should be interesting to make Smiley

Also Donner I'm not familiar with the Lahun or Hubert styles. Can you point me in the right direction and/or post it in a reply. MUCH thanks!

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)