Send Topic Print
competition rules? (Read 2808 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
competition rules?
Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:57pm

Has much thought been put into these, or are we going by the basic Balearic rule set for competitions? I am curious, as I plan on setting one up in the far future, and would like to know what I need to look for.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: competition rules?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:21pm

woodssj wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:57pm:
Has much thought been put into these, or are we going by the basic Balearic rule set for competitions? I am curious, as I plan on setting one up in the far future, and would like to know what I need to look for.

Good Question. I have no idea.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:19am

Well, I've mostly been focused on the Ranking and Merit System so far.  I do have some ideas for competition, but that's as far as they have gotten.  Not even the drawing board really.  I would imagine that as far as accuracy competitions go, we'll probably use the current Accuracy Merit Requirements as a base to build from.  However, it's not a bad idea to get other ideas regarding this as well.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

BPBrooks52
Tiro

Ranged landscaping

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:32pm

I vote for the Balearic rules. It just seems like a slap in the face to rewrite their rules at this point.

I took a sling to prom, it went with the suit Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:35pm

We are not them. I personally think the balaric rules are so restrictive, I see absolutly no purpose.
and no, its almost an honor to them. If we base our system on theirs, then it is a a guesture.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

BPBrooks52
Tiro

Ranged landscaping

Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:40pm

I never thought of it that way.

I think instead of age, we should put in a different category system. Something based on skill level or sling type.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 5:46pm

BPBrooks52 wrote on Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:40pm:
I never thought of it that way.

I think instead of age, we should put in a different category system. Something based on skill level or sling type.

We could do something like this.

I think that there might be something most are forgetting though.  Competition could be ANY kind of game, from target shooting, to distance competitions, to speed slinging, etc.  I myself am working up a team sport to be played with slings.  There is even a startup company out there called CHOTPRO that is. Taking slings to the golf courses! 

I will probably start up a new thread soon to point this type of thing out, but we need to think big!  Make up games and post em! 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

BPBrooks52
Tiro

Ranged landscaping

Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 5:54pm

all of those could be affected by sling length, distance is easier with longer slings, accuracy is easier with shorter slings, speed (in my mind) would be easier with a shorter sling as well.

Just something to think about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)