Wet-weaving slings (Read 2560 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Wet-weaving slings
Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:52pm

With many natural fibers, they lengthen slightly as they get wet, and shrink a lot when dried. I noticed this, and decided to find out...
3 major benifits- less harsh on hands(sisal), MUCH tighter weave, Stretches MUCH less.
Other benifits I have not figured out yet...
Anyone else try this? I love this technique now! As of now, I have made 5 slings wet-weaving. 3 rocklarics from jute (2 are drying now) 1 rockman, and one creepy-knotted sling.
other benefits- you get a more consistant braid and weave, and the braid is tighter, whips are tighter, and the cordage is easier to work with.
-Squirrel
Will post pics tomm.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Wet-weaving slings
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 6:47am

Thas sounds pretty good, I know basketmaking is often done with wet materials for extra flexibility. I have wetted and stretched slings after making them and that does have an effect.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:02am

Yeah, you're right, damp fiber is easier to work with. I've been spraying my hemp and jute slings with water as I braid for years Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:18am

David Morningstar wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 6:47am:
Thas sounds pretty good, I know basketmaking is often done with wet materials for extra flexibility. I have wetted and stretched slings after making them and that does have an effect.

Yes, I do the same with my slings. The cords become softer (i.e. less stiff) and the braiding looses irregularities. You feel the difference in slinging before and after the water treatment.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:18am

Good suggestion

I braid them extremely tight until they are rigid and soak them after they are finished as it relaxes them while keeping the tight braid.

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 4:32pm

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:18am:
Good suggestion

I braid them extremely tight until they are rigid and soak them after they are finished as it relaxes them while keeping the tight braid.

intresting. I do the reverse.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:57pm

Damp cords are great, soaked cords will expand and shrink a lot and your braid will actually be more loose. That's my expierience at least.

Find a balance and you'll be set.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 6:39pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 4:32pm:
Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:18am:
Good suggestion

intresting. I do the reverse.

Ive only tried it with my jute slings, but yeah it loosens them and softens them. I must try damp braiding also though.

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:38pm

I've used a damp, not wet method for sisal and cocount. The right moisture consistency seems best when the fiber feels cool when you touch it to your lips but not soaking wet. Not dripping wet. With some types of hemp I have found that the strands are almost a little slimy which is why I do it damp and not wet. Also, some hemp really stinks when it gets wet which doesn't make a good braiding experience for me. I have also found that weaving damp fiber is harder on the hands.

My preferred method is to dampen the fiber with water and hair conditioner or leather conditioner that is mostly glycerin. Glycerin soap works good too as does saddle soap. To keep the fibers at the right moisture content I use a small spray bottle with a water and conditioner or glycerin mix.

The only drawback I have run into when using short fiber that has been twisted together to make long cordage for braiding is that if too much lubricant is used, the individual strands can pull apart easier. It doesn't seem to affect the finished sling and sometimes you have to be careful not to pull the individual strands of the braid too tight when braiding.

Glycerin doesn't seem to affect the sling when it's dry.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:01pm

If the fiber is dripping wet when you braid it, the weave is LOOSE and you will break the cordage when you weave it!
-Squirrel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)