Send Topic Print
Weird sling idea (Read 3000 times)
prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Weird sling idea
Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:30pm

Today I came up with an idea for a really weird sling. Okay, so the sling idea is basically the entire sling except the finger loop and release cord is the pouch. Specifying on that, a simple thing you could do is take five strings and tie your regular finger loop and release knot. You would then, in theory, have a working sling on your hands. Right?

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Weird sling idea
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:38pm

Try it, and if it works, post a picture.

IP Logged

WillJoeChuck
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:24pm

I use a simmilar design to throw arrows.  Its basically 2 strings with a finger loop and release knot. It works pretty well, and i actually got the design from another forum menber.  I dont remember who exactly to give credit to... but i think it was one of our european members.  He had a very impressive youtube video showing it being used as well if anyone remembers what i am talking about to post a link.....  Anyways, i think you may have problems keeping smaller ammuniton in place, and there will be more wind resistance pushing against your rotations, but go ahead and try it.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:40pm

prd000 wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Today I came up with an idea for a really weird sling. Okay, so the sling idea is basically the entire sling except the finger loop and release cord is the pouch. Specifying on that, a simple thing you could do is take five strings and tie your regular finger loop and release knot. You would then, in theory, have a working sling on your hands. Right?

I believe this is mentioned in the redwall series, these were made of jute, or something. I have tried them from burlap, they are good, but they must have heavy ammo, as there is quite a bit of air-resistance. Brian Jacques must be a slinger or something, cause he has everything very accurate as far as information goes. Redwall is one reason I sling.
I will have to make more out of burlap and post pics.
here is a horrid drawing of my sling that was done in a little over 25 seconds in PINTA
-Squirrel

Crazy_sling.jpg (13 KB | )
Crazy_sling.jpg

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:22am

I've thought about doing one like this on a couple of occasions myself.  I think that if you taper the strands just a little at a time as you weave you could end up with a elongated diamond looking sling.  Should work just fine, as long as your ammo is heavy enough.

However, as I was writing this it occured to me that a sling like this would probably use a really large amount of cordage.  Maybe the weight of the extra cordage would help with wind resistance?  Hmm...  Looks like it's time to go try it out..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 4:52pm

LightSlinger wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:22am:
   I've thought about doing one like this on a couple of occasions myself.  I think that if you taper the strands just a little at a time as you weave you could end up with a elongated diamond looking sling.  Should work just fine, as long as your ammo is heavy enough.

However, as I was writing this it occured to me that a sling like this would probably use a really large amount of cordage.  Maybe the weight of the extra cordage would help with wind resistance?  Hmm...  Looks like it's time to go try it out..

Weight does not usually help with wind resistance.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:43am

Sure it does. 

Try using that LightSlinger pouch sling with something like a ping pong ball.  Then throw a Rusty sling ball or a rock with it.  I guarantee that you will notice a significant difference.  Now, I know that we are talking about the weight of the sling itself, but that also helps.

This following Sling is a paracord TSS Sling and is respectably heavy.  I would consider it a war sling. 

Now, I can throw just about anything I fancy with this sling, including the ping pong ball i mentioned just a second ago, without too much trouble.  But again, from my LightSlingers... Not so much.  It actually hurts my elbow a little to throw things that are so ridiculously lightweight.  Unless I'm using the sling above.  I've thrown Tennis balls, Raquetballs, ping pong balls and even a small cluster of mini marshmellows with that guy and no problems..  It's because the sling's weight allows additional momentum and speed to be built up and transferred to the projectile.

More mass = more momentum = more force to slow and stop it...

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:53am

True... DId you review my tutorial yet Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:55am

Yep!  gonna have to try it out myself..  I tried making a chain mail pouch once and gave up.  But, I still have the links and I'm gonna have to give it another go. 

I need to review your tutorial in relation to the Sling Crafter award though.  I have just managed to find some time right now just to look through stuff.  We were kinda busy tonight at work..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:01am

I made a sling like this to throw arrows, but I abandoned it in favor of DM's cestros tutorial.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:06pm

speaking of wierd things, i made a disc sling that works VERY well from burlap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)