Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arcane Tinker / Petition for Sling Crafter 4. (Read 2781 times)
Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Arcane Tinker / Petition for Sling Crafter 4.
Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:01am

I'd be more than glad to do a comprehensive review of the chainmaille sling.

Raw specs:
Material: Titanium grade 5 Ti AL6-V4. It has a high temper and is comparible to spring stainless steel.
Weight: 295g.
Length: 53cm/106cm overall.

I learned how to weave chainmaille about 11 years ago and spent almost 5 years doing it obsessively. Then for reasons forgotten to me, I stopped. In the time since, I discarded or gave away most of my work, I am even guilty of taking a 55 pound copper tunic to the scrap recyclers.
    After my last move I found a box in my crafting supplies that contained a small cache of titanium already rolled and cut.  It amounted to about $50 worth of metal, I couldn't throw it out but I couldn't think of anything else to do with it...besides a chainmaille project.
    The pouch just a pattern called European 6 in 1.  Every ring within the weave has 6 others woven through it. When 14 gauge(2mm)rings are made with a 10mm inside diameter are used in this pattern, a very dense weave is created, a fine bamboo skewer can't get through.
    The cordage is known as full Persian 6 in 1 and is very solid and stable yet flexible enough to be used as a sling cord. The weave transitions into half Persian 3 in 1 for the retention loop and is integrated back into itself as seamless as possible. A perfect transition back cannot be done because of how the rings pack within themselves. There are several ways to do this, one requiring thinner rings at the joint to reduce bulk, which I didn't have(working with scrap.)
    Transitions from pouch to cords are made with two mobius balls per pouch end.  The pouch is tapered by one ring per side and then 6 jump rings are fed through the weave to lock the pattern edge and then divided into the centers of the mobius balls.  The release is made out of a mobius ball as well.
    I've wanted to make a fireproof sling for tossing red hot projectiles, several of us have, there was even a thread about it...well this one will do that no problem, and it will only get prettier by doing just that.  Titanium takes on a whole rainbow of colors depending on the temperatures it is subjected to.  
    Ammo pouches nicely, the weave I chose for the pouch has a tendency to shift and expands where it needs to and bunch up as dense as it can when folded.  Chainmaille is incredibly form fitting, it behaves very much like one of those "chinese finger trap toys".  The weight is more than I am used to, and the first time I released it...I'll be honest, I was a little scared of the free end.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2013 at 1:34pm by LightSlinger »  

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: SUBMIT RANKING AND MERIT AWARD PETITIONS HERE
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:53am

here's a picture of it loaded.  that rock is the size of a golf ball.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:57pm

WOW!!!!!! Bravo, deserve a high rank for sure.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:31am

Congratulations!  A truly Beautiful piece...  Have you thrown much with it?  How does it perform (don't get me wrong, it's plenty just to look as pretty as it does, but I'm intensely curious about how well it works..)?

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:55am

It's a thing of beauty and a joy forever....but it throws like a metal sling.  Embarrassed
I made it 60 meters with that same crummy 100g rock I used in the hunger games sling...man I need a new test rock.

Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 1:29pm

Alright, excellent..  Review completed..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Chris, Rat Man)