Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Research/Historian requirement (Read 2205 times)
Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
The Research/Historian requirement
Feb 3rd, 2013 at 7:54am

Quote:
Level 1:  Research two different sources (cannot be Slinging.org) that mention slinging in recent times (during the last 100 years) / post findings.
Level 2:  Research 3 different sources that refer to slinging in recent years / 3 sources referring to slinging In antiquity (100-400 years ago) / post findings.
Level 3:  Research 4 sources referring to slinging in antiquity / 4 sources of ancient (400+ years ago) slinging. / post findings.

I have a problem with the time/difficulty scale :
The period with less slinging reference is between ~500years (the painting with the battle in spain, and the south american civilisations) and mass media apparition, then antiquity (for new sources) and then Youtube era Wink
I don't know if the Time Line is the same in America, but here Antiquity is before Ancient Times : Prehistory < Antiquity < Ancient times < Modern times < future ( Wink )

On a side note, I find it way easier to find info about antiquity than about nowadays slingers Cheesy

And do you mean something else than finding new (for slinging.org at least) sources by research ? Like with a small analysis and study of the source ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: The Research/Historian requirement
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 8:16am

Super excellent questions.. 

Not being much of a historian myself, I admit that these requirements were very difficult for me to develop and as a result of this, i fear that they may have also been somewhat arbitrary(or at least uneducated).  Almost like a space filler until I could either figure out something better or it became an obvious problem.  It's something I'll definitely have to look into though.  Maybe you could help with this one actually...

I appreciate the clarification of the hierarchy of terms relating to the past.  It didn't really occur to me that there might be a specific path they should follow, but now that you mention it, it makes sense.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:21pm

Slinging.org is the definative source for all things slinging anywhere. I would imagine that any historical reference within the last 100 years, for the last 3000 years for that matter have probably been mentioned or referenced by this forum's members at some point in time.

Perhaps instead of having levels, make Sling History a gold star or some kind of single recognition for a participant in the system to write down a few paragraphs on sling history. Maybe a particular era or culture, i.e. slinging grenades during Spain's civil war. I recently saw a movie about Hemingway and there were a few scenes showing slingers. Someone could do some indipendant research on that time and achieve merit recognition. I wonder if there are so many examples of slinging in history, with information accessable to basic research where you wouldn't see some repitition of efforts to obtain levels.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:07am

Yeah, it's definately a concern I had, but I felt that I would have been remiss to leave out the the Historical aspect of Slinging.  Honestly, I dont really mind the repetition myself, and for the lower levels I think that this would be okay.  But maybe we can explore the idea that higher levels would require some more insight or more "unique" information. 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Re: The Historian award And global ranks
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:54am

LightSlinger wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:20am:
Nope. That doesn't really match the intent of the Historical awards..  But, that's not your fault.  It's mine.

I'm obviously going to have to rewrite the requirements for this particular achievement before we move on with it... I think that what I will do is this:  I will do some research as if I were trying for the different Historian levels, post something that does  match the intent of the requirements, and then re-write the requirements from there..

Seriously Caldou, I'm really glad to have you onboard troubleshooting the system for me.  Sometimes it's really hard to see these kind of problems while you're in the midst of writing these.  I caught some of them myself, but mostly I've only been made aware of problems by others like yourself.

Again, thanks man!  I appreciate it!

Well, would you have said that it matched, I would have refused ^^ Just finding 2 youtube video, even not posted here just for the petition should not make the cut ^^
It could be time-free but you still need like 3 - 5 - 7 sources, either commented or with some context. It could also be identifying some "mystery source" that someone else posted.
(If I agree on the fact that the tutorial I linked could never be a source, even for modern times, I think that the palestinian slinging, with a good comment and contextualisation could be a valid one. Of course, as I posted it it would be largely missing the mark Smiley )

For the difficulty scale, you may want to ask Thearos, he is more qualified than me ^^
But I don't think imposing times periods as a difficulty criteria is fair : I was involved with a reenactment group, from the Gaulish Antiquity, so I researched material for this time period and not for more recent times, like the last 1000 years (yes, 3 differents 0, not a typo). But since I'm not really interested in C17, 18 and 19th, I would never be able to pass the first level...

On another, larger note : I find the additionnal requirements for Artifex easier to achieve thant the lvl 1 Research (with the exception of the lucky factor for Archeologist 1 & 2) : with a little effort I could gain 2 more lvl 3... while the Research need some more serious dedication.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris)