Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CALDOU / TIRO Rank and Merit Petition (Read 3391 times)
Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
CALDOU / TIRO Rank and Merit Petition
Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:43pm

Now, it's my turn to reach for fame : I'm claiming rights for nothing short of 8 merits awards.

In the Slinging category, I will settle with only one.
I am Proficient with the Fig. 8, which qualify me to be level 1 in Techniques.
I will wait for an example of review before trying to claim level 3 ^^

In the Crafting category, I claim three awards.

I'm a Sling crafter of level 3.
My slings are a knitted one that I use at every slinging session, one braided from loose flax fibers with a 3 strands pouch, good for oval ammo, a seat-belt with paracord, not really what I like but quite easy to do and so OK as gifts, a leather pouch with braided linen cords that work as well as an Aussie Pouch and a braided hemp with linen woven pouch which is too stiff for my liking.

I also teach several persons how to make Appu slings and I translated the knitting instruction into french.

I'm also an Ammo crafter of level 2.
I made ammunition from clay freshly dug up (lvl 1) and rusty balls (lvl 2). Since the laters tend to dislike violent contact with walls (see the pink one), I made them covers (here, I used Naalbinding but I also used crochet).

Fun fact : I was technically level 2 before being level 1...

I am also a Miscellaneous crafter of level 2.
I've build  an easily portable target, consisting of a PVC tripod and a 50cm hoop on which I sewn enough fabric to be able to use it as a bag to transport slings and ammo and more importantly to make it easier to check the score : if your ammo is in the bag, you get the point, else you can go fetch it ^^. The second picture is from 15m... Not so big, eh ?

I also made a leather ammo bag, correct for up to 5 clay shots.

Next time, I will claim the tool crafter... I have to take pictures.

In the Promoting category, I take four awards.

I am an Activist of level 1.
During 2 days, in May 2012, I talked about slings and slinging at the ELFIC, a convention about games, “medieval” times a,d Fantasy worlds.
I also participated as a sling expert to another manifestation but it was not a major one.
On the other hand, I also created a sport club, does it count toward a level up ?

I am Exemplar. To a level 2, due to a lack of videos (I will have to take counter-measures... I could be level 4 ^^ ). You can guess that I talked about slinging to more that 15 non Artists during the 2 days of the Activist award , I hadn't even time to take pictures Smiley.

You can also say that I'm an Exhorter of level 2. and I won't ever gain any level here since I'm in a country where people usually don't try to speak English and so don't have access to Slinging.org. (Is the difference between the number of people spoken and given the adress a typo ?)

And Last but not least, I'm a Teacher. Of level 2 even.
I have a slinging club. We had several training session on a public park and in my “slinging 101” course, I try to cover ~ 9 of the listed subjects. Of course, I also give this crash course to passerby ^^.
I will have to try to plan out some of those Formal classes, it can give a nice change Smiley

And I therefore am qualified as a TIRO. And I will complain about the historian award later ^^

Edited:
Alright, I am reviewing your petition.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2013 at 1:54am by LightSlinger »  

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Review Completed.
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:50am

Okay, Here are my findings.  

All following Rank and Merit Awards listed below have been granted and recorded.  

Techniques       1
Sling Crafter     3
Ammo Crafter   2
Misc. Crafter     2
Exhorter           2
Exemplar          2
Teacher            2
Activist             1

I did have some questions though..  

Quote:
I am Proficient with the Fig. 8, which qualify me to be level 1 in Techniques.
I will wait for an example of review before trying to claim level 3 ^^

What do you mean "an example of review"?

Quote:
am an Activist of level 1.
During 2 days, in May 2012, I talked about slings and slinging at the ELFIC, a convention about games, “medieval” times a,d Fantasy worlds.
I also participated as a sling expert to another manifestation but it was not a major one.
On the other hand, I also created a sport club, does it count toward a level up ?

Actually, there may be some merit to giving some consideration to a seperate Merit achievement of it's own for starting Organizations/Clubs/etc.  I think we may need to do a poll about this one..

Quote:
You can also say that I'm an Exhorter of level 2. and I won't ever gain any level here since I'm in a country where people usually don't try to speak English and so don't have access to Slinging.org. (Is the difference between the number of people spoken and given the adress a typo ?)

Hmmm...  Since the purpose of Slinging.org is to expand the Art, maybe I can add an alternative option to the "give them slining.org" info.  Maybe we can point them to another slinging community of some sort...  And I'll have to give the potential typo a look...  

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Re: Review Completed.
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:54am

LightSlinger wrote on Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:50am:
What do you mean "an example of review"?

In the rules, you state "Level 2: Become Proficient with two Techniques / Review your second technique in a post". But what do you need as a review ? An explanation of how we sling ? a 500 lines essay on the pros and cons of technique ?
In any case, I may start taking videos, it will be easier since even in french I have problems explaining in a nice way how to work with this or this technique ^^

Quote:
And I'll have to give the potential typo a look...  

The text for lvl 2 exhorter state " Talk about Slinging in general to at least 15 people.  /  Give these 10 people direction "
while the one for lvl 1 says "Talk about Slinging in general to at least 5 people.  /  Give these 5 people direction"
If I'm not grammatically wrong, the lvl 2 text imply that you need to tell the 15 people about slinging.org... but my english grammar lessons are quite far already ^^

And I add another question :
To go all the way to funditor, do I already met the "Achieve 2 additional Merit Award Levels in any Category." obligation or do I have to add to the ones I already checked in ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: CALDOU / TIRO Rank and Merit Petition
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 4:11am

Quote:
In the rules, you state "Level 2: Become Proficient with two Techniques / Review your second technique in a post". But what do you need as a review ? An explanation of how we sling ? a 500 lines essay on the pros and cons of technique ? 
In any case, I may start taking videos, it will be easier since even in french I have problems explaining in a nice way how to work with this or this technique ^^

Ah.  Okay, I got you.. 

The "Review" is just a short description of the style you are using, and some insights on how it works for you, how often you might use it, whether or not you like it, etc..  No need for long essays or anything.  It's really just intended to give other Artists some insight on the technique from your perspective, that's all.  And as far as the video, I won't complain there!  You are highly encouraged to submit video.  but, if not, your English is better than some Americans I know!   Grin

Quote:
The text for lvl 2 exhorter state " Talk about Slinging in general to at least 15 people.  /  Give these 10 people direction " 
while the one for lvl 1 says "Talk about Slinging in general to at least 5 people.  /  Give these 5 people direction"
If I'm not grammatically wrong, the lvl 2 text imply that you need to tell the 15 people about slinging.org... but my english grammar lessons are quite far already ^^

Oops.. Yep.. A Typo..  Man, you're good at spotting these!   Grin  Actually, it should say "give 10 of these people direction -"  See what I mean about the English?  You're doing fine my friend!

Quote:
And I add another question : 
To go all the way to funditor, do I already met the "Achieve 2 additional Merit Award Levels in any Category." obligation or do I have to add to the ones I already checked in ?

You have already met this requirement.  As long as you have done them, they count.  All you really need (me too by the way) is 1 Merit Level in the Research Category..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:56pm

I will try to reach my first Research award : Historian lvl 1 ^^ (within current rules)

I believe this video tutorial has not yet been posted here :
How to tie a simple 2 strands sling using only one knot. It dates from last year, so within the last 100 years Cheesy

I do not link this second one for politics :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Lj8j7o6gY
But you can still see young men slinging, with long slings and poor form in a serious situation, not really for fun.

Is this really enough ? If so, I level up to Funditor but it's mainly to test the limits of this peculiar award Wink

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:20am

Nope.  That doesn't really match the intent of the Historical awards..  But, that's not your fault.  It's mine.

I'm obviously going to have to rewrite the requirements for this particular achievement before we move on with it... I think that what I will do is this:  I will do some research as if I were trying for the different Historian levels, post something that does  match the intent of the requirements, and then re-write the requirements from there..

Seriously Caldou, I'm really glad to have you onboard troubleshooting the system for me.  Sometimes it's really hard to see these kind of problems while you're in the midst of writing these.  I caught some of them myself, but mostly I've only been made aware of problems by others like yourself.

Again, thanks man!  I appreciate it!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)