Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clarification questions about quals and standard (Read 3713 times)
LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Clarification questions about quals and standard
Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:42am

Since this Board was opened I have received many excellent questions from fellow Artists about the specifics of Merit Requirements.  I would like to propose that all simple clarification questions be directed to this particular thread to help me with consolidating them.  Any new ideas, Polls, big questions, etc, should have their own Threads as usual.  

Thanks Everyone!  

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Re: Clarification questions about quals and standa
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 8:23pm

Quote:
“ARTIFEX” (Artist or Craftsman)
Rank Insignia: Circular patch with 3 Glandes in a triangle with “FUNDITOR” above it.
Requirements: 
•      Meet all FUNDITOR requirements
•      Achieve 3 additional Merit Award Levels in any Category.   
•      Must have attained Level 3 in two Merit Achievements (Distance 3, Sling Crafter 3, etc)

********************************************************************************

“FUNDA TECHNICUS” (Sling Technician)
Rank Insignia: Circular patch with 4 Glandes in a flower with “FUNDA” above it and “TECHNICUS” below.
Requirements:
•      Meet all FUNDITOR Requirements
•      Achieve 2 additional Merit Award Levels in any Category.
•      Must have attained Master Level in at least 1 Merit Achievement(s) (Distance 4, Sling Crafter 4, etc)

This part is a bit odd. Both "Artifex" and "Funda Technicus" seem to be tied as the the next rank from "Funditor", since they both use Funditor requirements as their base. Yet only the Funda Technicus is referenced in the Master rank. Did you mean to make Funda Technicus the successor to Artifex, but made a typo?

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:25am

Yep.  Typo alert!   Grin

Thanks brother!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Re: PROMOTIONS
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:09am

how is this ranking system going to work? Huh

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 9:19am

you look through the awards system, decide whether you want to play.
Then you work out what levels you think you've achieved in the various sections and apply for the ranks.
There either is or will be a way of working out an overall rank based on what you've got through the various different categories.

It's actually complicated enough to look official Thumbs Up
Which is part of the point.

We'll work out  a system for inserting the ranks into your signature.

It is currently completely seperate from the forum posts ranking system.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:07pm

prd000 wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 8:09am:
how is this ranking system going to work? Huh

Pretty much what C_A said already.   There is a method for determining Rank Advancement.  However, at the moment, we are still trying to work out how to show that Rank on an Artist's Profile. 

If you are having any trouble understanding the rules or requirements just ask, and I'll be happy to explain them to ya!  Read through the  RANKING AND MERIT SYSTEM OVERVIEW AND STANDARDS and it should give you a pretty good idea of what you're gonna need to do.  The Requirements for Merit Achievements are highlighted in red in that text and function as links that will take you to the requirements for those as well..

Hope that helps!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 7:01pm

There seems to be a little stumbling block in the system, or maybe it's just me. Without meeting the research requirement, one can never advance beyond apprentice.  It wouldn't matter if you could drive tacks at 500 meters with a sling crafted from leprechaun hair or taught slinging techniques in front of a full house audience at the Superbowl.  Is there no workaround for those of us that always hated book reports?

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 6:52am

Well, it's not an error...

Initially when I wrote this system up, I had an idea that the "Rank" system amongst Slingers should represent an overall idea about how well rounded a Slinger was.  Ideally Speaking, you were supposed to be able to call up ole LightSlinger, an "Artifex" in rank, to give a little speech about some basic history, usage, and orgins of the Sling.  You would also be able to get him to do a little demo, maybe teach some people how to sling, and even hold a little "Sling Making" class.  This approach was meant to lend credibility to the Slinging community in the eyes of the non-slinging public and at the same time make our "expert slingers" actual subject matter experts..

However, it has been brought to my attention by a number of members, that this idea is, well... not my greatest idea.  It has been suggested that I change the system to a points based thing, where you achieve rank upon completion of a certain number of merit levels.  I must admit that since I'm not super crazy about that idea, I have been dragging my feet a bit. 

Not to worry though!  The powers that be and the will of the people seem to have spoken, and I will, soon, get the system corrected...

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 11:01am

Light, I really do understand what you are trying to achieve, and I respect your passion.

I just felt that there is a certain awkwardness in the ole' prerequisites for monolinear advancement system. There are more ways to skin a cat, there should be multiple paths up the ranking system. To get a well rounded slinger like you want, those paths would start to merge within the last rank or two.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:11am

I do believe you are right.  I've been noodling some alternative methods, so stay posted!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)