Send Topic Print
video requirements (Read 3752 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
video requirements
Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:05pm

Just as a heads up, some of us tend to have issues of a non technological nature with posting video of ourselves online. This may seem a bit odd coming from a recovering museum tour guide, however, I can control my audience to some degree in person, I cannot online.

Further, the data which can be contained in photos or video, or extrapolated therefrom is extensive. If I am working in person, I know everyone hre knows a certain amount, but not much more than where I work. A video can tell people where I am, live, about voice properties, and much more with a little analysis. Depending on what you wear, it can tell people your height, manner of standing and gait, style of dress, and many other elements. The video can also be played over and over, thus allowing studied impersonation with minimal live observation. This makes it hard to notice someone is studying you.

I don't mean to be paranoid, of course, but I am going into a field where making sure people have to really work to find such information, or know me personally, is going to be a good thing.

Taking this into consideration, I would be voluntairily barred from certain ranks because of this.  Also, people such as squirrelslinger will have the same problem, for more practical reasons related to the above.  Has any thought been put into this?

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: video requirements
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:54pm

Make videos like timpa does.

Also, check out NurdRage on YouTube for ideas on making instructional videos while maintaining anonymity.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:22pm by Arcane Tinker »  

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 1:09am

woodssj wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:05pm:
Just as a heads up, some of us tend to have issues of a non technological nature with posting video of ourselves online. This may seem a bit odd coming from a recovering museum tour guide, however, I can control my audience to some degree in person, I cannot online.

Further, the data which can be contained in photos or video, or extrapolated therefrom is extensive. If I am working in person, I know everyone hre knows a certain amount, but not much more than where I work. A video can tell people where I am, live, about voice properties, and much more with a little analysis. Depending on what you wear, it can tell people your height, manner of standing and gait, style of dress, and many other elements. The video can also be played over and over, thus allowing studied impersonation with minimal live observation. This makes it hard to notice someone is studying you.

I don't mean to be paranoid, of course, but I am going into a field where making sure people have to really work to find such information, or know me personally, is going to be a good thing.

Taking this into consideration, I would be voluntairily barred from certain ranks because of this.  Also, people such as squirrelslinger will have the same problem, for more practical reasons related to the above.  Has any thought been put into this?

There certainly has...  In the Ranking and Merit System Overview and Standards it states in the petitioning section that the Honor System may have to be utilized on occasion.  This is okay.  Also read here for a conversation I had with SquirrelSlinger about this very thing...  
   In addition, I will be going into a bit more detail about it in the Petitioning Thread when it is posted and it's in the Ranking / Merit System FAQ (well, it is NOW..lol)  
    Anyway, I hope that answers your questions or puts your mind at ease...

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 4:07pm

If you're concerned about identity, then just wear a mask, like 80% of Japanese performers on YouTube  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC27nASd2M0

(You could also just obscure your face with sunglasses/hats/distance/angles/etc, but where's the fun in that?)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Greenman

Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:56pm

I understand exactly where Woodssj is coming from. I'm like a Black Mamba. Everyone is out to get me and it's NOT paranoia.

I've also realized that i'm probably being watched by our N.I.A regarding some remarks i made about our @&&*0&3 of a president (and the ruling party in general) of late (Matter of fact, they're probably scanning my key strokes right now.)

None of it matters, bra. THEY already know everything about you THEY want to know. The vids you might post will be of no consequence...

I'm serious. No jokes.

Sweet is the music that brings out the Slings.&&The Sling. The finest guerilla weapon on Earth. (Fletch_man)&&We few, we happy few, we Hail of Slingers.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 2:06am

Well, I definately don't want any of my fellow slingers exposed to dangerous situations because of a merit Achievement Requirement.  That's where the Honor System comes in.. I had to use it myself in my own petition..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:58pm

Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a while.
I must say I am not afraid of the government, since they'll be employing me in these tasks. I am going into the Air Force as a Cryptological Linguist, a branch of military intelligence.
That part of the armed professions requires a bit of secrecy, and can involve keeping people in the dark about where you are, hence the background analysis concerns. Frankly, I'm quite sure no one wants to impersonate me, but these things are broader than me, despite my bringing them up. Squirrel's situation is a prime example, due to his age. Greenman because of what we'll call indisgressions elsewhere. My situation is mostly based on possibilities and future potential, aside from my liking to know who my audience is.
So long as it's addressed, fine by me.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:57am

woodssj wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:58pm:
Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a while.
I must say I am not afraid of the government, since they'll be employing me in these tasks. I am going into the Air Force as a Cryptological Linguist, a branch of military intelligence.
That part of the armed professions requires a bit of secrecy, and can involve keeping people in the dark about where you are, hence the background analysis concerns. Frankly, I'm quite sure no one wants to impersonate me, but these things are broader than me, despite my bringing them up. Squirrel's situation is a prime example, due to his age. Greenman because of what we'll call indisgressions elsewhere. My situation is mostly based on possibilities and future potential, aside from my liking to know who my audience is.
So long as it's addressed, fine by me.

yes.. not just age. I might not be able to get a job somewhere in the future due to there being some random video of me slinging and they assume I am careless or something. I dunno.
Anyway, I am planning to take vids. maybe sound edits... among other things :0
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, LightSlinger, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)