Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tutorial: A Sling With a Knotted Pouch (Read 21313 times)
LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Tutorial: A Sling With a Knotted Pouch
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 1:46pm

Amen!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

GeneralMushroom
Descens

What I lack in feet, I
make up for in inches

England
Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 9:15am

So I had a go at the newly dubbed Teg Starfish Sling, and it is quite possibly my new favourite!

Grips a tennis ball like a treat Smiley

My first serious go with natural cordage (Jute), and I've tapered down the release cord from 7 strands to 3 so it makes a mighty fine crack when used.

The pouch looks a little bit messy but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thanks for the awesome tutorial Teg Smiley

Photo0231.jpg (48 KB | )
Photo0231.jpg

Matt, 21. Engineering undergrad, enjoys slinging!

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:08pm

GeneralMushroom wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 9:15am:
So I had a go at the newly dubbed Teg Starfish Sling, and it is quite possibly my new favourite!

My first serious go with natural cordage (Jute), and I've tapered down the release cord from 7 strands to 3 so it makes a mighty fine crack when used.

The pouch looks a little bit messy but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thanks for the awesome tutorial Teg Smiley

I started on one last night!  It's even fun to make! (And quite the challenge I might add). 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:03am

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Jan 8th, 2013 at 1:31pm:
Oh Thou Lord of the (St)rings, we people of the Forum hereby baptize (quite unilaterally) Your latest creation: "Teg's starfish sling".
Be Proud of It.
Amen.
Mauro.

Grin
I'm usually not a big user of internet slang phrases but now ROFL quite accurately describes my reaction. Thanks!

Wow, that was fast!  Shocked
Congratulation! You are most probably the third human being on this planet owing one  Wink.
Have you had anywhere problems or couldn't follow the tutorial?

And that's the biggest advantage and at the same time disadvantage of this design. The shape will hold quite everything very well but if you get the cupping too strong (or take too small stones) you won't have any longer a clean release.

LightSlinger wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:08pm:
I started on one last night!  It's even fun to make! (And quite the challenge I might add).  

To be honest, in every sling of this type I had to undo several knots as the spacings between the loops were not of the right size and therefore giving the pouch an asymmetric shape or a too strong cupping.

IP Logged

GeneralMushroom
Descens

What I lack in feet, I
make up for in inches

England
Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:04am

Teg wrote on Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:03am:

Wow, that was fast!  Shocked
Congratulation! You are most probably the third human being on this planet owing one  Wink.
Have you had anywhere problems or couldn't follow the tutorial?

My claim to fame Wink

The tutorial was spot on. No trouble at all. Very clear and concise. You were right about not needing the full 30m, I used between 24-26m total for a short sling with cords 60cm long.

I have yet to actually throw anything with it, only been sitting the projectile in the pouch and giving it a whirl, but I can tell it'll be good as this is the first sling I've made where tennis balls don't fall out when I try a helicopter build up Smiley

Matt, 21. Engineering undergrad, enjoys slinging!

IP Logged

chucker-mike

Slinging Rocks!  Indeed.

SW Pennsylvania
Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:07pm

I am so fascinated by this sling.  I wish I had the time/patience to sit down and make one of these.  I have saved the tutorial on my laptop for some time in the future to attempt this project.  Beautiful job and great tutorial.

"Rough is the road that leads to the heights of greatness."--Seneca

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 8:44am

Wirklich eine tolle Schleuder, Teg! Ich habe das Tutorial bereits heruntergeladen und werde mich daran versuchen. Eine der schönsten Schleudern, die ich gesehen habe.

Translation:
Really a great sling, Teg! I already have downloaded the tutorial and will try it. One of the most beautiful slings, I´ve seen.

IP Logged

blackfur2
Descens

May your rocks always
roll................

Scotland
Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 6:52am

Just finished this will try it out later to day was easy to make with the tutorial thanks teg have been look look for sumthing new and found this Smiley , also am I doing the 6 strand braid right I do it under 2 over 1 under 1 over 2 is that the right way to do it ?? :/

image_016.jpg (1188 KB | )
image_016.jpg

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:59am

blackfur2 wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 at 6:52am:
Just finished this will try it out later to day was easy to make with the tutorial thanks teg have been look look for sumthing new and found this Smiley , also am I doing the 6 strand braid right I do it under 2 over 1 under 1 over 2 is that the right way to do it ?? :/

Glad to be of service!

If I understand it correctly you do something else than I do as a 6 strand round braid. First, there are many ways to make a "roundish" 6 strand braid. There is no "right" or "wrong" way. If it works, it works. The description of your braiding sounds to me like a way to make a "semiround" braid. I guess you have one flat side, while the other side is round. A nice thing to do if you want a  "gripmark" in a round cord, which you can feel but not (easily) see. I could not make out on the photo if you are exactly doing this. However, you can find a way to make a round braid in the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186mcycMcA4

I actually work slightly different: I pass the cords above the standing end and not under it. E.g. I work 180 degree mirrored to this man. I think it's easier this way if you work with a core.

To put the difference between "round" and "semiround" 6 strand braid into few words: In a semiround braid you don't always "change layer" after passing one string. In a round braid after passing one string you "change layer".

And if you don't mind a little language rant:
My native language is not English. So:
- Please use punctuation like periods, comma and question marks.
- Please make complete sentences.
- Please mind orthography and grammar and don't use "slang". My dictionary does not know "misspelled" words.
All this points will help me to understand faster what you are trying to say and also to answer your questions faster and more precise.
I take time to anwer questions (for this one more than 20 minutes), so please take time to ask them.
If you are not good in languages or writing (e.g. dyslexia) please don't worry or take it personally. I will understand you one way or the other. But if you are better, then give it a go Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)