Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Closeup pic of Palestinian sling (Read 10324 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Closeup pic of Palestinian sling
Dec 30th, 2012 at 5:34am

I have found this picture, it shows a very typical sling used by Palestinians: http://www.demotix.com/news/1199029/clashes-ofer-prison-junction-ramallah#media-...

It appears to be about 40" or 1 metre long with cords of bootlace and a rectangular pouch of canvas or denim cloth.

(Lets keep the politics out of this, I'm just recording the kind of sling being made and used since these are unlikely to be preserved in any other way)

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Closeup pic of Palestinian sling
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 8:06am

Nice, that's the way I make slings too!
I should try to find slings used here in Northern Italy, will post them if I manage to find them.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 9:15am

The K.I.S.S principal is usually the best .
It stands for "Keep It Supper Simple".
Or when i'm talking to myself "Keep IT Simple Stupid!"

Is there any evidence of hits from Palestinian slinging?

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 10:32am

Liberty dog wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 9:15am:
The K.I.S.S principal is usually the best .
It stands for "Keep It Supper Simple".
Or when i'm talking to myself "Keep IT Simple Stupid!"

Is there any evidence of hits from Palestinian slinging?

Yep, ive seen them hitting IDF soldiers in the West Bank village of Bil'in. A few youths scored some hits against an IDF formation of riot shield holding soldiers, sort of like a testudo type formation. Did not even slow them down. Youths quickly ran back into their village.

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 6:22pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 8:06am:
I should try to find slings used here in Northern Italy, will post them if I manage to find them.
Greetings,
Mauro.

I don't know if Etruscans are close to your area,  but I remember seeing pics of Etruscan slings with a braided 3-strand pouch or something rather.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm

Is the material some kind of cloth or canvas?  looks like they could have improvised strings from maybe clotheslines.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 4:39am

Jabames wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Is the material some kind of cloth or canvas?  looks like they could have improvised strings from maybe clotheslines.

Not sure about the cords, but the pouch looks like (yep, yours truly) seatbelt material. If you look closely, you can see the stripey pattern that seatbelts have (at least in the US).

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:42am

Look at the pouch where the cord is connected ;  it looks like a boot lace to me.  You can see the tip of a lace, it is called an aglet.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 1:37pm

Jabames wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 8:06am:
Greetings,
Mauro.

I don't know if Etruscans are close to your area,  but I remember seeing pics of Etruscan slings with a braided 3-strand pouch or something rather.

Yeah they were, where did you see these pics?? It'd be interesting for me to see it!
I was talking about modern slingers though, used by protesters against the police, up in the Alps.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 2:23pm

They look like this Mauro

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 3:49pm

If they had better ammo than chunks of concrete their slings would be more effective.  Lead fishing weights, like about three ounces, would pack a good deal more punch.  I imagine they're dirt poor and that's the best they can manage though.

IP Logged

chucker-mike

Slinging Rocks!  Indeed.

SW Pennsylvania
Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:05pm

probably right on that rat man.  Plus they are probably grabbing anything they can lay their hands on to use as missiles.  If anyone came looking in their homes and they had a stockpile of anything that could be more effective they would not want to have to answer the questioning that would undoubtedly follow. That could get uncomfortable quickly depending on who was doing the questioning...

"Rough is the road that leads to the heights of greatness."--Seneca

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 9:37pm

Hm.. I must agree. but even some somewhat better shaped stones would be denser and more effective than concrete. Even broken asphalt is better than concrete for slinging. And some longer slings would serve them well.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 10:01pm

Slings as a riot weapon or weapon of resistance are never going to be the refined version we use for sport. This goes for all such armaments in a similar situation you work with what you have around you, and something you can get rid of and make immediately so you don't get caught with them.

Ammo will be in the same boat. And personally, I wouldn't want to get hit by a piece of concrete from a sling any more than a lead glande. It will still hurt, and sometimes that's enough.

As for using them against well armed police and military, that takes some balls. Any observed injuries from slings, or does anyone know?  I bet this explains a few civilian casualties though, as I would shoot back with my m16 after twoor three rocks bounced off me or my comrades.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 6:40am

Dad told me that during the '70ies, protesters here in Italy used steel balls with slinshots, and the police was very afraid of them (in fact both the slingshot and steel balls are now codified as hunting weapons and you need a gun license for them). I think lead bullets used with a sling would be equally effective.
By the way, back to the Etruscan slings, thanks Jabames I tought you had the picture of an original or something like that (frescos, pottery depicting it, etc...)  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)