Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Atlatl questions. (Read 2358 times)
Greenman

Krugersdorp, South Africa
Atlatl questions.
Nov 10th, 2012 at 1:16pm

I have had such bad accuracy with my slings of late that i have decided to take a break from slinging for a few months. But. I would really like to make an Atlatl. I can get hold of some fine bamboo shafts for darts and feathers are easy.

What i would like to know about the throwing arm is this:
1). Is there a specific length for the arm itself?
2). Is there a ratio, such as arm length to throwing arm length.
3). What is the best length for someone making their first Atlatl?
4). I've seen some of the Atlatls with a stone weight in the middle. Should i start out with one?

I would also appreciate a YouTube vid that shows the finer points of making Atlatls and darts. And tips on throwing for begginners.

I would appreciate any input.

Sweet is the music that brings out the Slings.&&The Sling. The finest guerilla weapon on Earth. (Fletch_man)&&We few, we happy few, we Hail of Slingers.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Re: Atlatl questions.
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 1:32pm

So, there are different answers to these questions depending on a lot of factors.  However, let me just say that my favorite atlatl is one that measures the same as the length of my arm from armpit to wrist.  It has a weight, but that is by no means a requirement.  You can certainly do without one, especially for your first atlatl.  There's a youtube vid that has a great tutorial on a basketmaker atlatl here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HU03oyirl8 ; It has a couple of other parts to see it through to completion.  Great first atlatl, as you can modify it in lots of ways to make it different as you advance - weights, bannerstones, finger loops, etc.  But it still works well as a standalone piece.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:32pm

You have access to bamboo ? good, you've got an atlatl there...
3 cuts and it's done :p

http://www.webarcherie.com/forum/index.phpapp=core&module=attach&section=attach&...
(sorry, link in french...)

Easier than a basketmaker no ?

for your first one, let's say "a bit too long until it's the right length" Wink

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:45pm

Exactly what Caldou says, they are very simple and quick to make.  Although, I like a slight bend in the river cane, (a form of bamboo that is native to North America) that will work nicely.  Go to the Paleoplanet forum, scroll down to the World Atlatl Assoc. sub forum, it has several "how to" sub forums with lots of pictures, they range from a fully equipted woodworking shop to stone tools.  And if you still want ideas, one of the mods, Basketmaker II has a signature link with lots of diagrams of some of the southwestern US original atlatls.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 9:25am

Why did I never think of bamboo?? that's genius. I've been wanting to make a good atlatl but I didn't have the right wood, but we do have alot of bamboo.
Thanks Caldou.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 4:02pm

And about tips for beginners, you could try to shoot like you would sling apache (or something llike this) : arme extended behind you, and you bring it to the front...

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:36pm

most atlatls are between 22'' and 28'' with examples much shorter and much longer, but that is the medium range for over 99%, both in the historical record and modern gear being made. 24'' is a good starting point for an atlatl beginner. i'll tell you what i tell everyone just getting started. the atlatl is the least important part of the system! all the real technology is in the dart and the real mechanics are in the person doing the throwing, all the atlatl is, really, is a stick with a hook on it. concentrate your efforts on making a well tuned dart and perfecting your form, then worry about finding the right atlatl style.for the best 'how to' videos out there on both making and throwing you need to check out Tom Mills' (the founder of Paleoplanet.net) channel on youtube. he goes by the handle 'Paleoaleo' and his instructional videos are by far the best and most comprehensive out there. the WAA (world atlatl association) page on paleoplanet is also a fabulous rescource for everything you ever wanted to know about spear throwers and chock full of knowledgable folks who are more than willing to answer your questions.

Chris Henry/Paleoarts

Atlatl Manufacturer and WAA Board Member

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 4:34pm

Greenman wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 1:16pm:
I have had such bad accuracy with my slings of late that i have decided to take a break from slinging for a few months. But. I would really like to make an Atlatl. I can get hold of some fine bamboo shafts for darts and feathers are easy.

What i would like to know about the throwing arm is this:
1). Is there a specific length for the arm itself?
2). Is there a ratio, such as arm length to throwing arm length.
3). What is the best length for someone making their first Atlatl?
4). I've seen some of the Atlatls with a stone weight in the middle. Should i start out with one?

I would also appreciate a YouTube vid that shows the finer points of making Atlatls and darts. And tips on throwing for begginners.

I would appreciate any input.

I have an article I put together for my boys a few years ago. It's in PDF format. PM me your email address and I'll she'd it to you. It covers everything I was able to learn when I got into atlatls. Heck, it's even got pictures.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)