Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging at the Battle of Falkirk. (Read 3184 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Slinging at the Battle of Falkirk.
Nov 5th, 2012 at 6:19pm

The Battle was portrayed in Braveheart. It occurred in June 1298. Edward had a force 80,000 infantry of English, Welsh and Irish. Plus he had the Cavalry.
Wallace had about 30,000 men, mostly commoners. This is the battle where Wallace deployed schiltrons ( spears) to ward of the mounted cavalry.

"Stoutly the Scots stood, shoulder to shoulder;and though infantry came , and showers of cloth yard shafts were shot point blank into the ranks of Wallace, while with a storm of stones, the Welsh and Irish (they did fight on the English side), slingers plied their missiles securely from behind, they could not penetrate that wood of spears."
  Later

"Already deserted by their cavalry, most of it riding off with Red Comyn, and after the destruction of their archers, left exposed to a pitiless storm of missiles from the Welsh Longbow and Irish slingers,infantry, with their long spears leveled over a breastwork of their dead and dying, made a desperate attempt of their ground. "

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slinging at the Battle of Falkirk.
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 7:14am

That is probably the last example of slingers on a British battlefield as a regular (ish) unit, rather than as desperate ad-hoc measure.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:25am

Didnt this battle take place on a bridge or river crossing rather than a field as portrayed in Braveheart?

If the Irish and their English commanders were clever they would have slung flaming pitch in pots over the pike formation and onto the men Wink

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:46am

Topic added to the PG's Index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 11:12pm

Lugh... that was the first battle... Sterling Bridge. So... are you familiar with any examples of little pots filled with flamables being slung... its something I've thought alot about.

Also David Morningstar, while I don't know as much about use of slings in later English campaigns... I know slings were used well into the 1300s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_najera_froissart.jpg Here's a link to a depiction of Najera which features some 4,000 slingers... depicted with shield and armor front and center ready for an overhand cast.

Also, to the OP care to give your source? I'd love to use it for reference.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 8:29am

clanwallace.org

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)