Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling on display in the Royal Armoury, Leeds, UK (Read 4754 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Sling on display in the Royal Armoury, Leeds, UK
Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:28am

Yesterday I met up with Marc Adkins AKA Winklereid while he was in the UK for work and we went across to Leeds for the Royal Armoury Museum.

http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds

They have vast amounts of swords, guns and armour on display but right at the beginning they have this replica sling:

It is a replica of the 800 BC Lahun sling made by none other than Thom Richardson:

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=the-ballistics-of-the-sling---thom-richardson

So that was a good start! Here are a few more pics, I didnt take many:

An excellent day of weapon-geeking!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Sling on display in the Royal Armoury, Leeds,
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 12:26pm

NIICEE!! Cheesy I could have fun with that flintlock 'nade chucker Grin

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:25pm

SO COOL! Beautiful displays, I'm glad the sling made it into such a museum. Its certaintly earned it's place in history.

That grenade thrower is really neat too.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:39pm

The Royal Armoury Museum looks like a great place to kill some time.  Good stuff, David.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 12:48pm

Thanks to David for Recomending the trip while I had some rare down time. It was real nice meeting up with a fellow slinger and enjoying our passion. Me and David were both surprised to see the Lahun replica on display there. Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 8:05am

I don't know, you don't post, you don't call and then you turn up in the uk and nobody tells me Sad

How long you here for ?

Those grenade guns are fantastic looking beasts - they've got one at warwick.

On another note entirely. First time I've read that article (lol).

Interesting that on the sling ranges he has no knowlege of larry brays (then current) world record. And that he himself only gets 150 yards with a shaped lead glande. And then uses his own - pretty awful - slinging to do the velocity tests.

I always find it fascinating that historians never give any credit to the ability of historical professional soldiers. OR make any effort (our own hillfort historian aside) to find someone who can use the weapon in question properly.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 5:18pm

CA. I was just in the UK for 5 days, This was the only day I would have been able to get out and about, The next dya I was headed back to the US.  On a plus side it has me checking out the forum after a way too long Hatius.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 8:05am:
I don't know, you don't post, you don't call and then you turn up in the uk and nobody tells me Sad

How long you here for ?

Those grenade guns are fantastic looking beasts - they've got one at warwick.

On another note entirely. First time I've read that article (lol).

Interesting that on the sling ranges he has no knowlege of larry brays (then current) world record. And that he himself only gets 150 yards with a shaped lead glande. And then uses his own - pretty awful - slinging to do the velocity tests.

I always find it fascinating that historians never give any credit to the ability of historical professional soldiers. OR make any effort (our own hillfort historian aside) to find someone who can use the weapon in question properly.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:36pm

I got to handle a replica of the grenade launcher this weekend.  Awkward beast, it weighs around 20 pounds, (10kg) and has a lousy balance.  The owner said he had just gotten it a couple of days ago and had yet to fire it.  He planned to use tennis balls and a standard musket load of powder.  I forgot to ask which standard load, as they changed considerably over the years.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:58am

I bet firing a real cast iron nade filled with powder,with a standard load would have a helluva recoil. But it should be manageble,as the gun is so heavy,the barrel so short,and bp relatively slow. I imagine a big strong PUSH where you have to take one good step back from a wide shooting stance,to not fall over.
And the fuse on those things..they would make me sweat,if i'd got to fire them.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 3:45am

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 10:11am

That was a very light load, they were capable of launching the grenade about 200 meters or so.  And the cast iron grenade weighed about 1/4 pound (1/8kg) and was launched at around 350 feet per second (100mps), so the recoil was bad, but not as bad as clearing a misfire after the fuse was lit...

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 3:17pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 10:11am:
That was a very light load, they were capable of launching the grenade about 200 meters or so.  And the cast iron grenade weighed about 1/4 pound (1/8kg) and was launched at around 350 feet per second (100mps), so the recoil was bad, but not as bad as clearing a misfire after the fuse was lit...

Obviously that was some cardboard,or lightweight container with a micro propelling charge.
I would imagine a cast iron 2-3" grenadoe to be heavier than 1\4 pound. to be that light it would have to have a wall thickness of ~1mm.With such inner diameter remaining almost that weight of powder alone would fit in.
Cheesy clearing a misfire...throw launcher as far as possible,hit the deck.IF you can.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 8:30pm

He had a replica grenade, it is actually lighter than a modern hand grenade.  The grenade did not have any type of patch, it was loose in the bore, it just dropped in place over the stepped chamber.  So, if the charge didn't ignite, you just tipped the barrel down, it dropped out and you threw it by hand.  Simple.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 1:00am

That's better.Simple,but always makes you aware of your heart rate  Cheesy
Originally i thought the fuse was lit by the offgoing propelling charge. But that could go really bad if the fuse gets pushed in,or flash gets in the grenadoe. They had solutions for that too.It's just...exciting to work with it.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 12:35pm

According to the owner, both were used.  When you used the flash to light the grenade, you had lots of duds.  If you lit the fuse, clearing was a problem if you got a misfire, and you would get misfires.  Thats why grenidiars were out in front, WAY out in front. 

The walls of the barrel were 1/2 inch thick (12mm), it may have been able to contain the force of the explosion, I really wouldn't want to test that in a combat situation, though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)