Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Women slingers
Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:22pm

Quote:
Yeah, it's not in the Bible.  Roll Eyes

lol, no. I read proverbs a lot when I was younger, still do. There's a lot of lessons to learn.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 11:27am

On average women are too smart to engage in combat. In some cases they might encourage their husbands to go off to war ("Maybe that lazy, abusive, beer-swilling bum will get killed and the next guy will be a better bargain").

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 1:00pm

HurlinThom wrote on Nov 22nd, 2012 at 11:27am:
On average women are too smart to engage in combat. In some cases they might encourage their husbands to go off to war ("Maybe that lazy, abusive, beer-swilling bum will get killed and the next guy will be a better bargain").

On average, stereotypes are offensive, and don't have the positive correlation to reality they are often supposed to possess.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 2:18pm

Quote:
HurlinThom wrote on Nov 22nd, 2012 at 11:27am:

On average, stereotypes are offensive, and don't have the positive correlation to reality they are often supposed to possess.

Truth and wisdom there.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2021 at 9:41pm by Tomas »  

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 2:31pm

and the battle of the sexes rages on...

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 6:27pm

I admit I lol'ed when I read Dan's statement... more in anticipation of the roasting he was about to get as opposed to it being terribly original.  That being said, no roasting. Slinging.org, you have once again ever so slightly restored my faith in humanity. 

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 7:39pm

I thought it was really funny, sometimes this forum can be too serious anyway just lightening things up a bit.  Smiley

And just so yall know, I think women slingers- in whatever time period- are awesome. Nuff said.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 8:14pm

Just heard it too many times I guess.  Spent too much time perusing youtube I guess.  Grin 

IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #24 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:00am

Regarding female slingers, the issue of female shepherds=female slingers is an important point but I have one to add as well as well as a few questions to pose.

I do recall there are Polynesian Cultures featuring Coconut fiber woven armor often decorated with sharks teeth wherein the men charge into battle for close range while women of their tribe give ranged support with slung stones. Notable in the design of such armor is the large headboard extending from the body armor to protect the back of the neck and head of men in melee from miss fired stones from the women behind.

Another is that Plato has been quoted as recommending slings for both genders as a form of productive exercise. Which brings me to my next issue... while great as exercise it also allows people otherwise not militarily inclined or equipped to contribute to the defense of one's home... including women. So they could do it... but do we have any accounts of women contributing to defense in this fashion?

Another example/question is iron age hill forts and the celtic societies therein. Considering that the sling was such a ubiquitous weapon in those cultures... as well as cheap, easy to carry, and so forth... I do know that children grew up with these weapons... and that they allowed such youngsters to productively contribute to their societies at low cost (say compared to giving them all bows) in terms of hunting small game and defending their fortified villages. In particular being included in the defense by standing on elevated positions, perhaps behind walls or ramparts launching stone or clay ammo into the enemy. Which begs the question... did females do this too? Were slings a toy and tool employed by girls as well as boys in celtic cultures (or which ones)?

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #25 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 2:22am

I don't see why not, some Polynesian women were renowned front line warriors in their own right. One in particular was unbeatable.

But in later battles since men controlled the firearms mostly they did support kind of stuff and if courage faltered in the men they gave them the bash and sent them back towards the enemy. But they'd be right there at or just behind the front and do whatever they could.

Men can maybe run and survive but defeat would see the women and kids burnt alive if they're lucky, so defeat wasn't an option for them.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2020 at 4:10am by a »  

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Women slingers defending the city
Reply #26 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 11:55am

There was a city in late antiquity, the men have left for military service. When an enemy army arrived, the women and kids defended the city with slings. This was north Greece I think.
Actually I do not remember the exact reference though. If someone has heard of it also and remembers the reference, this would be great. Wink

IP Logged

Martin_Greywolf
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slovakia
Reply #27 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 1:09pm

Speaking on medieval military slinging only, you'd occasionally see women as slingers when a city was besieged (no direct slinging depictions I know of, but here's a one of a woman chucking a rock: https://manuscriptminiatures.com/4832/7940 ), or a ship was under attack (we have a record of Barbora of Svaty Jur who captained a galley during Sigismund's Nicopolis crusade and was rewarded with land for it), but that's about it. At least officially.

There probably were a scant few women in various mercenary companies under some kind of a vague don't ask - don't tell principle, but that firstly depended on the captain in question and secondly, there are absolutely no records one way or another, so meaningful discussion is not really possible.

As for civilian and self defence use, sure, as many as there were men, or maybe slightly fewer. If a medieval monk can teach a woman how to fight with sword and buckler...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)