Send Topic Print
Picture Insertion (Read 7520 times)
mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Picture Insertion
Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:48am

Must one have a Photobucket or similar web-based gallery account to insert pictures?  I am computer literate, just need a refresher.  It's certainly been some time since I was a member of any forum.  It seems that avatar pictures require a url?  How would one do a picture insertion within the bracketed code, say, in a post.  I don't want to attach pictures, as I prefer not to scroll to the four corners of the Earth just to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Grin

Also to any moderators:  I was unsure whether to message you or simply post to get a quicker response.  If I have made a misstep in posting this here, please feel free to move this thread to where it belongs or to simply message me and delete this post.  I do believe, however, that many others on this forum may benefit from this knowledge as well.

Thank you so much!!

-Mitch

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Picture Insertion
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:35am

We can leave it here temporarily and then relocate it at a later date.

When you are writing a reply or creating a new thread, you will see an "attach" option with a "broswe" button below the box where you type your text. The types of file that may be used are listed too. Click on the browse button to specify the path to your photo. Initially, make sure your photo is in the correct format and size and attach to your post.

BTW. This feature cannot be used for very large files or video. If you have a video clip you want to share the best and easist way is to post it on YouTube and then post the link to clip.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:41am

I don't wish to simply attach the picture, as I have attached a picture of a sling I made and it was huge.  I've seen people with pictures inserted that you can see the whole picture in a smaller space that fit in the post without needing to scroll to view the whole picture.

I was under the impression that attaching takes up more space on the site's server than inserting it with code.

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:48am

I want to learn how to use this option. Undecided

help.jpg (20 KB | )
help.jpg

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:51am

Resize your picture first with picture manager. The correct size is 640 x 480 pixels (I think) but it tells you the correct one if that's wrong.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:55am

I'm sure one of the more computer aware guys will tell you how to use that feature but I've always used attach and it works just fine.

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 3:15am

Thank you, and sorry for being bothersome.  I've figured out the sizing issue I had, but yes I will await another who knows how to use that function button.

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 3:57am

Sorry for all of this.  After becoming properly motivated to not appear an idiotic newbie, I made a Photobucket and figured it all out.

Just delete this thread if you would please. 

Thanks, Aussie, for your help.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 6:38am

the best size is around 800x600. and 96dpi (thought most pictures are at this resolution naturally - so ignore that bit I just included it to be pedantic Smiley ).

The only real issue with attachments is that you can only attach one per post. It's why I often stitch several pictures together to make one long one.
Currently there are almost 4,000 attachments in the attachment folder. A few more won't hurt. And that discounts a large amount that were put in individual users folders early in the forum's history.

So either method is fine  Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 9:08pm

[size=200][b]itz easy to upload pics...[/b][/size]

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 9:08pm

[color=#009900][size=500][b]bbcodes[/b][/size][/color]
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2022 at 12:47pm by Rat Man »  

Aardvark.jpg (127 KB | 34 )
Aardvark.jpg

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 11:57pm

Wink I know now, thanks.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:40am

unfortunately that looks like a stuffed aardvark in a museum diorama.
The way the picture is evenly framed in black would suggest the same thing as well.

Can't imagine anyone being able to get that close to one in the wild Sad

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 6:28am

Here's how to post directly. I couldn't find any on the images I made using MS paint, so credit goes to Curious_Aardvark.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 3:52pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:40am:
unfortunately that looks like a stuffed aardvark in a museum diorama.
The way the picture is evenly framed in black would suggest the same thing as well.

Can't imagine anyone being able to get that close to one in the wild Sad

Dude, I did about an hour in photoshop to get that. black frame was done in paint. I did find the pic on the internet, then cropped, zoom, etc.
-Squirrel

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)