Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
PDF leather pouch templates (Read 196357 times)
cram
Descens

Re: PDF leather pouch templates
Reply #90 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:00am

@
Slingky

I'm pretty sure he's not active anymore

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #91 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 6:23am

mon slingers not been around for a while.

people come an go Smiley

Interesting looking pouch joe Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #92 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 8:16pm

G,H,I, and J all interest me, sad that mon slinger ain't around no more. if i can figure a way to schlap them together i'll repost. i have a design not here that will fruit some day, when it does i will be sure to post it up here.

IP Logged

meliisa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #93 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 11:19am

Thanks!

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Netted Leather?
Reply #94 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 10:49pm

Read through this thread from start to here.  Some GREAT designs!  I'm a golf ball chucker so small, light cupped pouches appeal.  I've done a few non-paracord 5-strand slings with woven pouches, which I like a lot, but I have some leather coming and started looking here for designs.

Has anyone come up with a more netted looking leather pouch?  I suppose if holes or diamonds were cut in the central area of C-A's Butterfly Pouch it would give a netted appearance...    Hmmmm.  Hope those leather scraps show up soon!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #95 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 11:40pm

They'll be coming. Wink
I have them packaged up but don't think I'll make it to the post office tomorrow.  I should have them heading your way on Wednesday.

I'm not sure exactly what you're picturing with a netted leather pouch.  The pouch design I primarily use connects to a split pouch at 4 points, making an X-shaped pouch.  I don't think this is exactly what you're describing, but I think it has the same idea of minimizing a leather pouch.  This sling has the most narrow version of the 'X-pouch' I've done.

Sling-RedBlack.jpg (593 KB | 80 )
Sling-RedBlack.jpg

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #96 - Feb 15th, 2022 at 6:01pm

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of what I'm thinking...
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2022 at 4:20pm by StaffSlinger »  

Butterfly_net_001.jpg (57 KB | 112 )
Butterfly_net_001.jpg

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #97 - Feb 16th, 2022 at 12:39pm

That looks really cool. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #98 - Feb 16th, 2022 at 1:54pm

Thanx.  We'll have to see how well it throws!    It does make the template look much more like a Butterfly!  Here's a duct tape mock up.  Haven't got space for a full wind-up throws, but so far so good!

Butterfly Net
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2022 at 4:22pm by StaffSlinger »  

ButterflyNet.jpg (1105 KB | 69 )
ButterflyNet.jpg

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #99 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 2:39pm

Just realized I never posted a finished version of the Butterfly Net pouch:

Blue1_003.jpg (60 KB | 41 )
Blue1_003.jpg

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Reply #100 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 6:59am

This tells me that while I'm laid up, I'm going to need to work on my version of Aussie's build.

So this isn't a wasted post, I'll illustrate with words and use this as a placeholder til I can get around to the build and taking/posting pictures - it's not a pretty sling, and doesn't look particularly traditional, but I've found 'for most ammo' it works quite well

This build may not make a lot of sense to a /complete/ newbie, and I've made various design choices through repeatedly testing what does and doesn't work 'for me personally - YMMV - also, this kind of a stream of consciousness/ going through the process post, so if it needs editing for clarity, I don't mind if one of the wiser heads tackles

For the strands, I've found great functionality from bog-standard 550 milspec paracord (length dictated by your own comfort level/aim of overall length - I go with enough to give me a meter long when the sling is folded in half) it seems to give the right resilience/wear without feeling too...bouncy or overly elastic, and I like the way the 4mm stuff feels as a balance between weight, rigidity/flexibility and durability - I might experiment one day with surf-fishing line

For the pouch, I use thin, flexible leather, a mm or two thick - 2.5cm wide by 17.75 cm long x 2 strips, ends trimmed to a 1.25cm radius. Center point of the radius I punch a hole of about 6.25mm in diameter

I assemble as follows - I stack one end of each strap, insert an appropriate sized brass grommet and set it. Adjusting the angle so the other end closes with an overlap that 'cups' the pouch (details in the following thread - https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213024797/0#0 ) and then set the second grommet, making sure the grommet edges are smooth (otherwise it'll wear through/cut your cord)

Insert the end of one of the paracord (melt your end) and overlap towards the outside of the pouch about 1.75 cm - using a needle and the toughest embroidery thread I can find, I pierce through the paracord in an x pattern to start, then whip from about 2.5mm from the edge of the pouch up to the melted ball on the end of the folded over tail, then x pierce back through the stitched paracord a couple of times before tying off, then soak the whipping with superglue

I take the cords, stretch them out, at the end of one, I tie a bowline knot (non-tightening loop) sized for finger, two fingers or wrist (whatever you prefer) I do a generously comfortable one finger sized (I don't like self tightening)

I hold the pouch folded in the middle and stretch out the cords, with the loop on my finger, to find where to place my knot, then tie/build a triangular pad of knotwork for a release grip, it's small, but I favor a 'pinch between side of forefinger and thumb hold)

It's nothing particularly groundbreaking, but it's reliable, and if you use consistent ammo, it tends to cut down, if not eliminate some of the variables in my throws

Hope this was useful to...well...anyone

Tldr: two thin leather straps (7"x1" - 17.75cm long x 2.5cm wide, rounded off at 1.25cm radius ends, hole for grommets at centerof radius), grommetted (1/4" or 6.25mm), crossed over, with paracord

Will update with pictures when I can get round to making another one

Edit: found a sketch here on the old posts of how the pouch goes together - then I just add grommets
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2023 at 11:27am by Gronk »  

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #101 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 7:47am

Good description Gronk!  That's a basic Aussie pouch, the only difference is that you're gluing he overlaps and adding grommets. 

The thing I like about the Aussie is that if you don't glue the ends, it folds flat, on strip on top the other, and makes a nicer "sling belt" for 'concealed carry' around your waist. 

Also, if I make my cords right I can use the same sling for hand throwing and staff slinging.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2023 at 11:09pm by StaffSlinger »  

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #102 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 2:21pm

I got a cow skin... and I am also looking for the perfect leather pouch

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #103 - Mar 2nd, 2023 at 5:14pm

Whaat do you throw?  Are you a "random rock chucker?  Smooth roundish rocks?  Ball thrower (tennis, golf, ice)?  Lead/clay glands chucker? 

What do YOU think makes a "perfect pouch"?

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Reply #104 - Mar 2nd, 2023 at 8:13pm

I'd personally go for 'tanned orc flanks' meself...lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, David Morningstar, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, NooneOfConsequence)