Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
PDF leather pouch templates (Read 196403 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: PDF leather pouch templates
Reply #75 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:03pm

I actually was playing with a loose attach point on one side of the pouch to see if it would hold a larger ball too, but it was really tailored for a tennis ball, and that’s how it works best. I wasn’t happy with how the loose fingers worked out, so I’ll probably redo it. I also prefer the waxed cotton cord over the leather cordage.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2022 at 5:01pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #76 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 1:32pm

yeah Ive got  a sling made of that braided leather cord. It's not great.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #77 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 9:47pm

Out of curiosity, why is leather cordage not great? I’ve never used it, just curious.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #78 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 10:57pm

Drakolith wrote on Jun 30th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
Out of curiosity, why is leather cordage not great? I’ve never used it, just curious.

It’s not terrible, actually. The 4-strand round braid leather shown above is a little springy for my tastes compared to the exact same braid in cotton.  The cotton is also lighter and more flexible, but I have made several two-strand twisted leather cords that work just fine on other slings.  In fact I wear a sling with a leather cord around my neck every day, and I like using that sling a lot... I just think I like the 4-strand cotton a little better. So far, I have tried jute, leather, paracord, cotton, and hemp. Right now it’s a toss up between hemp and waxed cotton for my favorite cordage. I would need to make a few more hemp slings before I could decide.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #79 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:21pm

Here’s the leather one I carry everywhere. The whipping is a field repair. The pouch wore out before the cords after well over a year of almost daily use. I’m not sure if cotton will hold up as well as this leather cord, but I do really like the way the cotton cords behave.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #80 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:36pm

That does look like a good edc sling, how do you keep it from riding up and choking you? With a large loop like that I would think it would slip often. Also, just curious, are those rubber bands you used for the whipping?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #81 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:12am

Drakolith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:36pm:
That does look like a good edc sling, how do you keep it from riding up and choking you? With a large loop like that I would think it would slip often. Also, just curious, are those rubber bands you used for the whipping?

You are interpreting the photo incorrectly.
It’s hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn’t slip at all. The wrist loop fishes through the leather of the 6-point sling and doesn’t go anywhere because it’s held in place between the leather fingers of the sling. It takes several seconds to undo it, so there’s no quick draw from concealment (which would be silly) , but it hangs comfortably around my neck under my shirt. The whipping is just nylon string from the insides of paracord. It was a field expedient fix, but definitely not rubber bands Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #82 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm

Ah, okay, thanks.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #83 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:03am

Here’s a slightly better view. Note that this only works because I used a wrist loop instead of a finger loop.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #84 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:01am

leather cord tends to wear and break quite easily - certainly compared to paracord.

First sling I ever made, was made with leather cord and a denim pouch. the cord broke before the pouch Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #85 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 1:43pm

I've never really trusted the idea of leather cord. Obviously it seems to work for some. I'd rather go with synthetic or plant cord any day though.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #86 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:31pm

I’m coming around to the same opinion. This was one of my earliest practical designs and has given me more than a year of good use though, so I won’t say leather is a bad choice, even if natural fibers may be better for durability.  Leather is more comfortable to wear around the neck than jute and it stays pretty clean. Cotton or hemp might be ok, but I haven’t tried wearing them for EDC, and I would have to test it.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #87 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 3:06pm

I posted a template in my thread, but it belongs here as well.

flintslingpouch_001.pdf (259 KB | 345 )

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #88 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 10:20pm

I’ve done some more testing with this pouch design and decided to post it here.  The idea for this pouch came about because most of the slings I make are braided.  But I wanted to avoid having to stitch all the way around the pouch when adding leather, etc.  Haven't done a woven pouch yet, but that will come someday Smiley

I currently have two slings with this pouch style.  Making the pouch is pretty simple.  It’s basically shaped similar to an X or a cross with a fat middle.  Then the arms are folded around the two sides of the split pouch and attached.  I’ve done one with rivets and the other was sewn on.  The riveted one took slightly less time, but both methods were quick.

Here are the layouts of the basic measurements for each of the pouches along with the actual sling.  I didn’t go into too much detail with the measurements because the size will change based on the length of the pouch and diameter of the cords.

Green leather on linen sling:

Yellow leather on hemp sling:

There was an initial problem with the first sling pictured.  The split pouch itself is larger than the projectiles I regularly use.  The sides of the split pouch are about 7.5 in (19 cm) long.  When making the sling I wasn’t concerned about this because I always intended to fill in the pouch in with something.  The problem came about because when slinging, the projectile isn’t supported by the cords of the split pouch.  It is supported entirely by the leather.  So after a throw I would find that the two connection points of the leather on each side of the split pouch were sliding toward each other.  I hope that explanation isn’t too confusing.  I fixed the problem by removing the leather and re-attaching it with some contact cement where the leather wraps around the cordage.  I put the rivets back in too so there is some extra support.

After seeing this problem, I would recommend that the split pouch still be made to fit the intended ammunition, and the leather attached as additional support.  If the leather will act as the main support of the projectile, it may need something additional to adhere it to the sling.  As I did with contact cement.

I’ve done a couple dozen throws with the newly attached pouch and it now holds in place well.  The yellow leather on the hemp sling has always worked well.  It's seems like a good fit just being sewn on.  The stitching does not go through the hemp.  I’m planning to do some other variations with this pouch and see what results I get.  I think it’s a good potential design if you would like to quickly fill in a split pouch.  One of the drawbacks is there are gaps between the leather (or whatever you’re using) and the cordage.  So if you’re using projectiles that may get caught in the gaps, this style won’t be the best option.

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #89 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:21pm

Môn Slinger wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:36am:
Here is a first stab at making a pattern for the sewn/shaped sling, which I call a 'boat sling' since it looks a bit like one

Great job - that looks like a cool design! I like how it cups.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, David Morningstar, NooneOfConsequence)