Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
PDF leather pouch templates (Read 196381 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: PDF leather pouch templates
Reply #60 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:13am

Wasn't sure whether to put these up here or elsewhere on the forum but I guess here will do. I made the cords from serving string usually used on bow strings just because it's super strong, super light and it's black which went nicely with the scrap black leather I had at hand. Think of this now as a tactical sling Cheesy It's a really nice pouch design and was really easy to make. If I didn't need to add strands together to make the cords thick enough, it would have taken about 5 minutes to make the whole sling. I've got a simple leather loop for retention and then a bead for the release because the cord is that thin it's impossible to hold onto otherwise. Thinking about it though I might swap it out for a leather tab as that won't hit quite as hard on the return Cheesy I'll probably want to make more in this style in the future but maybe with paracord instead to really speed up the process.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #61 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:30am

stuff will probbaly come out sideways and tying the cords on like that also won't hold it terribly level.
Thin cord and a big heavy retention beady thing. Hmm, rather you then me Smiley That's going to be whipping around looking for something to smack into.

But hey, suck it and see Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #62 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:48am

Already changed the bead out for a leather tab which is much better. I've done some testing inside with a sock ball and it's impossible to say what it's like over any sort of distance but it's feeling pretty good so far. It cups the ammo really well actually; I put a rock in just to see how it holds and it wasn't going anywhere. I think it should work well at least as far as I can see.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #63 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:04am

Looking good Kick, let me know if you have any suggestions for after testing.

Not sure if you know this already, but AFAIK seatbelt style slings generally take the rock on the other side of the pouch (so the central ridge of the pouch connection is facing up (see my pic earlier). Should work pretty decently either way though.

My only worry with the sling itself is the cord might tear the leather holes out since they are quite thin and there are no eyelets.

You should try one of these out CA- they are much safer than they look. It's my new favourite leather pouch design now.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #64 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:34am

I did notice that but I've found (for whatever reason) it actually holds it better this way round. Not sure if that's just how mine turned out or if it's a general thing. I'll try both ways when testing. The cords tearing out is a bit of a worry but I'm thinking smaller rocks and tennis balls would work best for this so shouldn't put a lot of strain on it. Hopefully it will last a fair amount of time. I made sure to leave a decent amount of leather on the inside of the loop so it will at least take a while to break.

C_A just hates flat pouches Cheesy I've yet to have more than a handful of instances of ammo slipping out of a flat or split pouch and, up until recently really, they have been what I've used exclusively and it just hasn't been an issue for me at all. My first sling and the sling I've used the most has an old slingshot pouch that's 3cm wide (just under in fact) and I've had very very few instances of the ammo slipping out early. If the stone (which is what I use for it) comes out early it just means I didn't place it in right.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #65 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 3:53pm

Well, whatever works best I guess! For these slings I've almost never experienced drops, no matter what side I've used. I do almost always use the ridge up side now though, as it seems to create a more shaped pouch which just looks more appropriate.

I've made a few (unintentionally narrow) woven flat pouches which turned out surprisingly safe considering how they look, but I'm sure there's better examples out there which are wider/longer.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #66 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:11am

yeah flat pouches and split pouches - are just dangerous Smiley

Watched far too many rocks going the wrong way at slinging competitions to trust any of them.
And those are people who supposedly know what they are doing. You see quite a lot of doging out of the way at balearic competitions.
Stones coming out sideways or simply going straight through the middle.
One guy this year nearly took the judges table out - twice !
Infact I think out of 10 shots, only about 4 went forward.

So they're not something I'll ever recommend to beginners - or anyone lol

Tradition is all well and good - but I'd rather use slings guarenteed to only ever let the stone go when you release the release cord.
My goal is to get more people slinging - not injured  Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #67 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 4:30am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:11am:
yeah flat pouches and split pouches - are just dangerous Smiley

Watched far too many rocks going the wrong way at slinging competitions to trust any of them.
And those are people who supposedly know what they are doing. You see quite a lot of doging out of the way at balearic competitions.
Stones coming out sideways or simply going straight through the middle.
One guy this year nearly took the judges table out - twice !
Infact I think out of 10 shots, only about 4 went forward.

So they're not something I'll ever recommend to beginners - or anyone lol

Tradition is all well and good - but I'd rather use slings guarenteed to only ever let the stone go when you release the release cord.
My goal is to get more people slinging - not injured  Wink

That's crazy that that happens at balearics competitions!

Personally, although some splits I've made have been useless, I find a well made balearic sling with rocks of appropriate size for the pouch to be very reliable. Making the split quite thick and fortifying with leather certainly helps too- it allows you to even throw quite small stones without them slipping through.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #68 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:10am

Out of the kindness of his heart nwmanitou has created a really nice and clean cap paul template.
Which I have attached to this post for your use Smiley

nwmanitou-CapPaul.pdf (316 KB | 515 )
nwm-cp-pouch.JPG (21 KB | 525 )
nwm-cp-pouch.JPG

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #69 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 8:47am

Presenting the NOOC 6-point tennis ball pouch version 0.2

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #70 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:20am

Looks good. The only thing I'd say is that I'm not a fan of holes in the pouch. I've had rocks snag in them and rip the pouch wide open. Obviously if you use tennis balls or properly smooth stones it's no problem but I always find them... untrustworthy.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #71 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 11:05am

Kick wrote on Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:20am:
Looks good. The only thing I'd say is that I'm not a fan of holes in the pouch. I've had rocks snag in them and rip the pouch wide open. Obviously if you use tennis balls or properly smooth stones it's no problem but I always find them... untrustworthy.

That's fair.  This pouch has a fairly aggressive pocket, and I could see a how a really rough rock might catch in the gaps between fingers.  For throwing stones or clay bullets, I would prefer something that isn't quite so deep, but (by design) it fits a tennis ball really well.

These are really easy to cut out of thin leather or suede (I like to use medical shears), so it's easy to make another one if it does wear out or tear, and because of the way the fingers interlace, there is almost no wasted leather if you cut carefully.

If your concern is the holes in the ends of the fingers where the cords attach, the important thing is to use a punch to get a clean, circular hole so it won't tear easily. I have had some 6-point slings wear out at the end of the finger and rip open, but only after more than a year of use, and even then it was still attached at two other points and would have continued to work for a little while. Plus, I was able to fix it just by adding some whipping around the ends.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #72 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 11:08am

I do definitely like the look of it and looks good for tennis balls I'm just prejudiced Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #73 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:18pm

6 hole pouches are good for very thin or weak material - not sure why you've attached cords the way you have.

But then I don't like permamently attached cords anyway. I wear out far too many release cords for that to be of any practical use to me Smiley

so apart from the holes in the pouch - and I'm with otter on that - why's it better than the standard:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=downloadfile;file=CA%2D6%2Dhole%2Dsling...

If you can't be arsed to make double-denim, the 6 hole will make  a pretty decent single ply denim pouch. useful if you're making a lot.

That said the butterfly pouch is almost as good and quicker to make. 

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #74 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:56pm

@CA my preferred attachment is an intermediate loop so I can easily change the cords. I was just experimenting with some other ideas in thie photos above, but you can attach them however you like.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, David Morningstar, NooneOfConsequence)