Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
PDF leather pouch templates (Read 196376 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: PDF leather pouch templates
Reply #30 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 10:34pm

Well... I am thinking..... maybe It would be nice to create some sort of a leather netted pouch, as in a sort of... let me draw it out. Ill post in the morn....

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:28am

Here`s a type of cupped leather pouch that`s made of one piece of leather. The same photo is in the picture thread on page 216. It looks a bit like Captain Paul`s design.

+  it needs no rivets and has only one leather to leather attachment point instead of four

-   a wider piece of leather is needed (compared to CP`s)

I call it the airplane or goose. You`ll understand the name when you see the template Shocked

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:30am

PDF-template attached

ptemplate.pdf (170 KB | 55 )

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:43am

Assembly:

Cut out the pouch,
use a hole puncher to make six holes where indicated,
fold part 2 onto part 4,
then overlap the outer parts 1 and 3 with part 2 (make sure that part 2 is on the inside of the pouch).
Tie 1,2 and 3 together as described by curious_aardvark in the first post of this thread. This will be the retention side. When you watch the pouch from the retention side (ammo side on the top, backside on the bottom) the margins of the three layers of tied-together leather should form an head-down "U".
Attach the release cord on the remaining hole by using the same attachment method.
Now you only have to make a finger loop and release knot and you`re done.

Hope you can follow these instructions despite my bad English.

ptemplate.jpg (176 KB | 445 )
ptemplate.jpg

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #34 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:25pm

Wow, that's one wide pouch!
I love just a piece of leather with a small triangle cut out...
-Squirrel
Il post tomm

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #35 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 11:44am

lol that goose is one weird looking - but clever - design Thumbs Up

What's the reason behind the asymmetry ? ie: why have one side shorter than the other ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #36 - May 18th, 2014 at 9:11am

Miniature Knock Off Aussie Pouch

Two flat straps 1/2 in by 2-1/2 in .. poke holes in the strap  ends ... tie one end to a cord. take the free end of the  strap that is on the bottom and move it to the top ...align  holes and fasten the other cord ... good for 2 oz. sinkers and marble sized stones..

I make a similar three strap version with 3/8 in wide material.... Holes are punched in the strap ends and the straps are stacked...One end is secured with a cord...The middle strap stays in the middle, the top and bottom straps will swap position  on the unsecured end of the pouch (top to bottom, bottom to top)... align the holes .. secure with the other cord ... works good ... natural cup for flinging lead football sinkers

Here is a tennis ball sized two strap...Straps are 1 inch by 8 inches ...

PS works well with leather straps that are the slightest bit stiff.

TwobyEight.jpg (60 KB | 28 )
TwobyEight.jpg

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #37 - May 20th, 2014 at 7:39am

CA, those pouches look familiar especially with alligator. Did ya miss me? And I thought you liked the lockstitched version?

Loki

Loki  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #38 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 1:43pm

lol - well as I never saw my alligator pouch, in the raw, as it were. I never really thought what template it came from.
nearly 8 years ago now !
I can barely remember what i did yesterday let alone 7 years ago Smiley

I can see it would be something like the butterfly template. Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #39 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:03pm

Môn Slinger wrote on Aug 14th, 2012 at 2:27pm:
I made a stitchless butterfly pouch today, and it seems to work very well. This leather is quite stiff compared to the other stuff I have been using. I think 'butterfly' suits better than 'boat', especially since it now has holes in it  Grin

If the cuts are made perfectly (mine weren't) the two edges should butt against each other. I made the holes after crossing the lugs/ears over. It is quite tricky to get the curved cuts to meet neatly in the middle, and next time I will punch a small hole in the angle, as a 'stop'.

As I enjoy punching things! But wouldn't work well on a curved edge.

I did two new things today.  A week ago, I gave my first successful sling away to my nephew.  Today, I made myself a new one based on the pattern above which is fairly similar to what I had figured out on my own, but with deeper cuts.  It's also a bit smaller as I only had so much leather to work with.  It turned out too small and too deep for tennis balls, but just perfect for golf balls.

I also found a good place to really let loose.  500+ yards in front of me plus over 200 yards of room in any other direction so I'd really have to screw up to hurt someone/something.  So, I finally got to take out my ball bearings.  These are golf ball sized spheres of solid steel, they weigh quite a bit more than the tennis balls I've been practicing with so I haven't used them for fear of hitting someone/something. (I live in a large metro area)

But today, I got to use them both.  Tried the golf balls first.  Hadn't used them either for the same fear as above but with less chance of killing someone.  I couldn't get the timing down and they didn't go far.  So I pulled out the ball bearings instead and...

OWW!

Just about tore the first knuckle off my finger.  The bearing got stuck in the slot between the two strips of leather and didn't want to come out of the deep pocket I'd made.  Just lucky I didn't hit my leg or worse.

Lesson learned.   Cool

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:51pm

Oxnate, nice work.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 3:44pm

I wonder if anyone has new leather pouch templates? Its been over a year since the last post here and I'm looking for leather pouches since I got a bag of scrap leather next to me. I like the butterfly/boat one, and I've also used a 'flat' leather pouch too. Those super cup ones don't appeal to me too often, though I'm sure they work nicely. Maybe someone else can post here showing some new leather pouch designs soon. Smiley

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #42 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 3:54pm

Only one that i use typically is found in this tutorial: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/leather2.htm works for most things very well, from rocks to tennis balls. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 3:59pm

I have two like the ones in that link heh. Do you think if I cut a sliver down the middle, or put a fairly decent sized hole in the center that it would cup my large ammo better? (I know I'd lose the ability to fire small ammo though.) I've had the issue of losing tennis balls on the wind up with this style somehow before I'm ready to release which is why I ask. Though I didn't oil it and try to 'shape' the leather around a tennis ball, so its just a flat pouch pretty much.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 6:53pm

Lol, and I molded one and I had the same problem with the ball falling out, after thinking about it, I would just use a Aussie style split pouch out of leather, I typically use old backpack straps but leather should work fine. If you go into the marketplace I think it is you'll find an old topic on the slings he used to give away for free, he was a great guy from what I've heard although he passed sadly a few years ago. Sad

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, NooneOfConsequence, vetryan15, David Morningstar)