Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Historically accurate slings? (Read 6446 times)
farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Historically accurate slings?
Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:43am

I have just acquired a flock of navajo churro sheep and one llama. Along with the sheep I got some of the wool from the last sheering. I do some spinning, weaving and crocheting, and I have a deerskin ready to be brain tanned. I really want to make an historically accurate sling from these materials. Any suggestions? I've been assuming that because the apaches raided the navajo routinely and used slings that I could just follow the directions in the article on traditional apache slings using wool and buckskin and end up with something accurate, but thought I'd float this and see if someone could point me towards some additional info. Also, I may have access to yak wool, cashmere (goats), angora (rabbits) and a host of north american plant fibers (nettle, milkweed, flax and others). I have the skills and tools (primitive and historically accurate) to process all of these things, and want to get started soon. I hope to post pics of some reproduction slings here as they are done, but maybe there is a more appropriate thread for that?

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

"Riding through this world
all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Re: Historically accurate slings?
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:27am

Yes you are in a the right section and once you make those slings post em on the trading post I would trade stuff for one

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,& Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,& Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,& One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne & In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.& One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,& One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.&&In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.” J.R.R. Tolkien

IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 6:56pm

@sasquatchslinger- I noticed you do blacksmithing- yeah we can definitely trade!

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

"Riding through this world
all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:41pm

Lol yeah just started great fun though have a forge in town I'm trying to get apprenticeship at but don't have a forge of my own but my friend does so forge when I'm over his house still interested in the bracelet for the leather much better quality right know been blacksmith for a two months

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,& Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,& Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,& One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne & In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.& One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,& One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.&&In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.” J.R.R. Tolkien

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 9:57pm

The apache sling is not the best for making with wool. Spun wool is very stretchy, it really needs a more complex braid than the 3 strand braid shown in that tutorial. You'll need to learn something like these if you want a useable wool sling: http://backstrapweaving.wordpress.com/tutorials/tutorial-palma-and-margarita-bra...

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:53pm

@masiakasaurus- thanks. bookmarked the link and will learn the braid ( always happy to find something new to learn- double thanks). Had some other ideas for reducing the stretchiness, too. Maybe combined with a good braid to be sure. Would it be an inca sling, then? Maybe I should use dogbane for the apache sling?

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:27am

Does someone made a comparison about thickness between the two braids(margarita and palma) ?

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 2:43pm

Dilyan Ganev wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:27am:
Does someone made a comparison about thickness between the two braids(margarita and palma) ?

Those two braids seem to end up equally thick. 
I`d suggest you first learn peruvian 16-strand braid.  It is easier to handle 24 strands when you has gotten used to 16 strands.  By the way it end up a little thinner, maybe 5 millimeters, while my latest 24-stranders end up just over 6 millimeters.
http://www.jeanleader.co.uk/othercrafts/peruvianbraid.html

My first "multi-strand" braided slings ended up pretty thick and soft. After lots of practice they end up thinner and harder.

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:31am

I got the hang of palma braid due to the somewhat understandable step by step videos, but the explanations for the 16 string got me confused....

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:46am

Dilyan Ganev wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:31am:
I got the hang of palma braid due to the somewhat understandable step by step videos, but the explanations for the 16 string got me confused....

Hey, how can that be confusing? Cheesy
The 16 strand and 24 strand braids is basically done the same way, if you can do the palma braid you`ll sure get the hang of the 16 strand braid as well.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:20am

Ive just learned loads from this thread, thx all.

I now have the tutorials to learn these complex braids, but how do I make the elongated flat pouches associated with these Andean slings, like for example this one,

http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/sling13.htm

when ive braided to the pouch what next in other words?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:50am

I work on this pattern just. it is for new sling. the material is silk

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)